Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally home. I've only been in my home two weeks since late August, and I've been through a war since last I was back.

I love my home. I do. My house is small and modest, but it was mine from the moment I stepped inside. In fact, the first time I saw it, someone outbid me. So, I moved to this town and had to walk by here and know strangers were living in my house! Okay, okay, irrational. I know. But the next time it went on the market, just a couple years later, I was in a position to buy. I have devoted myself to making it both cozy and quirky, with my favorite place being my writing room with its mural, which I cajoled an artist friend into painting. Poor thing never even knew how many times one woman could add details that simply must be added! But it's my creative place, my happy zone, and now I'm back.

When last I was here, the pond my husband dug was not buried under snow, and now we have to trust that the frogs made it through okay -- and that it really is underneath the snow. Snow? What snow? Two words -- Northern Minnesota! (Listened to a radio station out of Hibbing for a while.)

I'd missed my grandmother, and knew she needed me back here. She has now, with the loss of my mother, buried both of her children. It broke my heart these last several months to know she was dealing with the knowledge my mother was dying. I know I was where I needed to be -- caring for my mom -- but I really wished I could be cloned. Being an only child starts out peachy -- more presents at Christmas -- but then comes a day when you wish there was a sibling to help out, if only to listen. Or a night when the nurse's aide comes to tell you that your mother is gone, and you know you have to be the one to call your mother's mother...

I took two of my dogs with me when I left to care for my mother -- oh, and my spouse. The third dog and the cat who hates me stayed here. I can't really say how the cat fared, because she is hiding from me, but my hotdog dog looks like she's about to burst her all-natural casing. Right now she is curled up in bed with my grandmother, and I'd like to imagine they're both glad we're home. They seemed to be, but they could be faking it.

I'd looked at the helpful map when I ordered my Kindle and knew that there would be Sprint coverage in theory. At least 1X. I will admit that as we approached town I kept Trixie in my lap and started to panic as we got closer and there were still no bars. But shortly before I saw the town's water tower the bars shot up. It was pretty joyous as the definite sign I was home is always welcome, and to know Trixie would still be getting her NYT and I could still buy more books than I could reasonably read in years -- made of awesome!

And, yay, my Oberons were waiting for me.

Did I mention I'm happy to be home?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
A house is a place to stay, a home is where you know you belong. Glad you can be back at home after such a long period. I also know what it is to suffer the loss of a parent, my heart goes out to you. I hope that it does not take long to settle back in to a normal life. Take care.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Dear Michelle,  I am sorry to learn of the loss of your mother.  It is a very devastating experience.  I applaud your willingness to be with her these last months.  Now you are back in your lovely, cozy home with your pets, and your new Oberon covers.  May you be richly blessed as you heal from your loss.

BTW, a few years ago my daughter was looking for a home.  She called me and asked me to meet her at an address.  I remember turning onto the street and spotting the house immediately.  I knew at that moment it was Laura's Home.  Indeed it is.  Funny how that works.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Michelle, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. I enjoyed your post even if it was laced with sadness but you had me chuckle out loud about your hotdog dog bursting her all natural casing :p We have to mini ones...practically pigs in a blanket :p

It's always nice to be home and in your own bed :))

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Michelle- Let me add my condolences to the others, it is tough for a Mother to lose her children, but it is also tough for children to lose their parents.  I had a friend tell me that she thought of her mother every day, and that it was ok.  That gave me permission to think of my mother every day, which I have for 15 years, and I am glad I do and can.

It is also nice you are back "home", enjoy the spring and think warm fuzzy thoughts.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Kindlekins!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Michelle--

I'm so sorry for your loss.  What a blessing you could be there for your mom, and though you couldn't be there at the same time for your grandmother, you're there now for her and she is there for you.  Another blessing.  I still miss my mom (hence all the Hibbing references, thank you for working it into your post  ::) )

We're all thinking of you and your grandmother.  And the sausage dog. 

Betsy

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Good to be home. I know how you feel. I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom. I lost mine almost 6 years ago and still miss her. The day she died, my 5 yr. old grandson was born. I'll never forget the phone call from my daughter telling me about his birth. It was her first child. I gave everyone strict instructions not to tell her about the death. I wanted to keep it a joyous time for her. It is funny how much better I felt knowing that Blake was born on that day. It seemed like she was giving up her place for another.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Michelle, I am so sorry for your loss, I lost both my DH and Mom last year and it was the hardest time I have ever been through.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and I am very glad you are "home" and with your Grandmother, she is going to need you.  Remember to take time for yourself and spend good quality time with your Kindle.  Take care.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you again. My mother and I had gone through some personal difficulties and had been estranged for a while. Being with her at the end allowed me to have closure and I believe it eased her mind as well. I know it helped my grandmother to know my mother was getting good care. My husband, unbeknown to me at the time, had told her that he was honored to be her son-in-law and that he would always make sure I was taken care of, and I know it helped her to hear that.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Michelle, sorry to hear about your mom and so glad you got to spend time with her. That is why I moved "back home" to be near to my parents for whatever time I have left with him. It is wonderful that your hubby was able to be with you as well. Mine is sacrificing by staying in Houston to work for a few more years. He wasn't able to spend much time with his parents before they passed and doesn't want me to have the same regrets. Glad you are home and life can get back to normal (whatever normal is  ;) ).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts