Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say the others are already available but I haven't decided if I want to buy each book or wait for the trilogy to be available.

Melissa

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Amazing! I'll get the trilogy and The Hobbit immediately!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Wow, I guess the Tolkiens came around.  Personally, I will wait for the trilogy, since I'd prefer to have them all together on my Kindle.  Plus, it's almost half price to get the trilogy at $15.94 than to buy the three books at $9.99 each.  It's really a matter of personal preference, though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
marianner said:
Wow, I guess the Tolkiens came around. Personally, I will wait for the trilogy, since I'd prefer to have them all together on my Kindle. Plus, it's almost half price to get the trilogy at $15.94 than to buy the three books at $9.99 each. It's really a matter of personal preference, though.
Is that the only difference? I have always seen them separate and I am hesitant to purchase the trilogy in case it is different than the three.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
No difference. I have hard bound copies of each,

·
Registered
501 Posts
Although the trilogy and the individual LOTR books are all listed as "not yet available," this is the first I've heard of a Kindle edition coming! (I've been putting my Kindle request to the Tolkien estate website 2-3 times/month, but never thought it would happen)

When did this change? I'm absolutely THRILLED, as Tolkien's books are my all time favorites, and THE major disappointment of the Kindle available titles!

As Sylvia says, ON TO JKR!!!

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Not anymore. The books, separately available for 9.00 each were available as of 6:00 PM EST and o  my Kindle shortly thereafter. Even though I have have read the work annually since High School, which would be 37 times, my Kindle is happy now that the Fantasy bible is where it should belong. I have a dozen LOTR's in print, including some expensive illustrated ones. I have it on audiobook. I would have it tattoo on my . . . well, let's upper thigh, and I have a wide upper thigh, if I didn;t have a low threshold for pain. Hallelujah! And The Hobbit will download authomatically tomorrow. Now if Rowling's publishers will wake up, we could avert the end of the world in 2012 a la Maya caledar.

Edward C. Patterson
a Tolkien disciple

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow.  I never thought that I'd see these works on Kindle.  Well maybe not never, but certainly for a long, long time. 

Off to amazon.

- Walter.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I am reading The Hobbit on my KIndle now and will order LotR  trilogy ASAP!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Went to the page, one clicked it, it was sent to my Kindle, that's all I know.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! (and it really is the truth)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
How is the formatting, for those who have downloaded them already?

I wonder if the three-in-one edition will have a linked TOC to make it easier to navigate from one book to the other?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Yes, I see that is the way it is now, earlier no mention of preorder was made. I'm athinkin' that sombody goofed. Formatting looks good and matches up with my DTB, including drawings. Guess I'll keep whispernet off for a wile incase they want it back!

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
I just took a peek at the formatting. Cover (the original cover in fact as published in 1954), front page sports the original first page, complete with tengwa characters. Full Table of Contorts with hyperlinks. I am truly happy. Pippa passes, and All's well with the world.

Edward C. Patterson
Shireling under the skin

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Trekker said:
If these are legit, I'm definitely getting them! :D
Well, the publisher is listed as HarperCollins e-books, so if it's a pirate, it's a pretty clever one. That's the first thing I checked :) I don't think amazon would be doing pre-orders for any but the big companies, anyway.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I am surprised that there was not some kind of anouncement made about them coming to Amazon, LotR and Harry Potter are probably the most requested books for the Kindle.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts