Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is my second time doing a promo with The Midlist (I applied back in late December). Last time they accepted my first-in-series for a 0.99 promo and it did very nicely, especially for a free listing - 50+ sales. Today it's the same book, but now it's permafree (also one of their free listings).

Before their email went out I was sitting on 8 downloads for the morning. The email went out around 9:15 AM PST, and in the past 45 minutes downloads have jumped to 300.

(My last promo was with The Fussy Librarian ($16 - Women's Fiction) for the same book, and it yielded about 250 downloads for the day.)

So they're definitely worth trying. They only feature five books per day, and they do curate, so I've found the caliber of the books to be pretty high.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lydniz said:
Is it hard to get accepted? I've never applied because I got the impression they rejected most titles.
I really don't know. Both times I've applied they've accepted me. I have a feeling they'll accept you if you apply.

(Downloads are now over 400 since I started this thread.)

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Is it hard to get accepted? I've never applied because I got the impression they rejected most titles.
They've accepted both times I've applied to them for the free run. They are one of those sites that have results that are so astounding, it's worth your time to try. The form is easy and painless, not one of those that makes you jump through hoops.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
C. Gockel said:
They've accepted both times I've applied to them for the free run. They are one of those sites that have results that are so astounding, it's worth your time to try. The form is easy and painless, not one of those that makes you jump through hoops.
Aha, the promo guru speaks. :) I may give it a shot then.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of ... just now (5:30 PM PST) I've moved 1148 copies of my permafree, and I'm at #121 in the free store. This is on a book that's had well over 60,000 downloads since May '14.

So once again, I'm pretty impressed with The Midlist.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone! :)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final download #s from yesterday: 1428

And today I'm already at 100. Hopefully it won't take too long to see some sell-through. Lately, I'm seeing sell-through starting about 5-7 days later, and for whatever reason, my sell-through is much, much higher in the UK. I don't know why that is ...

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Lately, I'm seeing sell-through starting about 5-7 days later, and for whatever reason, my sell-through is much, much higher in the UK.
I am seeing these things too! I wonder if it is the KU affect -- people who have KU taking longer to decide they want to spend extra money? I think after KU is when I noticed this.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C. Gockel said:
I am seeing these things too! I wonder if it is the KU affect -- people who have KU taking longer to decide they want to spend extra money? I think after KU is when I noticed this.
It's possible! There's definitely a difference in sell-through between this year (so far) and last fall.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'm a fan of the Midlist. I've been accepted twice for the same paid book, spread months apart of course. I've found the results from them generally exceed all but the best of the paid promo sites. I definitely prefer them to a lot of others that are charging $45 and way up for a promo.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I'm using them for a promo in about two weeks. I'm doing a $.99 one, though. It's my first time with them. I think I'm done with Fussy Librarian. My stuff doesn't get any results with them no matter the price point it seems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Marie Long said:
Can anyone share their results with using Midlist for a NON-FREE (0.99+) book?
I used them for my first book which was $2.99 prior to the release of the second one in the series and I had 125 sales that day. I plan to use them again when I release my third book. I write Urban Fantasy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
SevenDays said:
I know! I'm always amazed when they don't come up in conversations about sites that give outstanding results.
Possibly they don't get mentioned as much because a lot of people asking for advice are newer and don't have the required number of reviews yet, so recommending Midlist would be no use. I know I'd love to use them, but I still need a few more to get to 20!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lydniz said:
I applied with a light-hearted mystery (first in series) and got the reply back that "We're building an audience on The Midlist for your content, but we're not there yet."

Anyone know if this is their standard response, or an actual comment on what genres their subscribers like?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts