Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last October When I ordered my Kindle I ordered a replacement battery too. I just got an email that it shipped to me yesterday.

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
steve,

always the optomistic pessimist- they are "fixing" the things that they viewed as market challenges from the wanabees and not users issues at this stage. the textbook industry wants a version with a bigger form factor screen. sony is touting the illumination ( which i saw in real life - it doesn't work) and the e-guys said sony did a fabulous job of optimizing the new version of e-ink for hesitation free page turns- which was reported in the tech press about 5 months ago.

my money is on form factor ergonomics and making the pages turn.  if Amazon recognizes anything about competing with Sony (no baloney) they win by never waiting for all the fixes to be in  new release, fix a few, sell a new model. fix a few more, sell a new model. Sony had been the master dominating challenges until apple came up with the ipod (which they didn't design or create, btw) with this business model since 1950's. rarely have they lost at that game.

·
Registered
869 Posts
stevene9 said:
Last October When I ordered my Kindle I ordered a replacement battery too. I just got an email that it shipped to me yesterday.

Steve
Hey, Steve -

I received an emails today saying I had purchased 2 Amazon items. Huh? I did not order anything from Amazon yesterday... Open the email and there it is: my 2 replacement batteries has been charged to my account and will be on their way. Cool.

Of course, now I'm worried that the replacement battery will lose its power before my original one does ::)

G

·
<====<<<  scurries off to check his orders.

OOO Good thing I checked.  Mine had been on order so long I had to confirm I still wanted it.  It looks like it may go in to the shipping soon phase as well.

I had until Feb 3 and then it was going to cancel itself.  :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone actually had a battery that died?  There seems to be a rush for everyone to buy a battery before their's dies, but I have not read on any boards that this is an issue with the battery. 

·
Registered
33 Posts
there's no aftermarket yet for these batteries- it is design specific- i've been checking around- but i have yet to hear about anyone having a battery die- it Lithium polymer which is an relatively new battery type with an unusual characteristic- keep recharging it regularly, and not waiting for the battery to fully discharge actually extends the life of the battery. fully draining polymer batteries confuses them- usually these type of batteries are used in cradle charged devices- so it is constantly in charge mode. but it easily should have a 2 year life with constant use.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My original battery died the first night I got my kindle, but I had ordered a replacement when I ordered the kindle so I was ok - way last spring - I now have another replacement battery and a thingy to put batteries in to use when I need to recharge the battery - but have had no problems since the original one.  Of course, it would not have been because I left it on all night, and I was in the states and had whispernet on although asleep?  NAH
;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
On the Amazon boards, several people posted that their batteries only lasted 2-3 months. 

Little Gertie is now five months old, and I find that even turning on WN for a few minutes, causes the battery to run down about 1/4.  That wasn't happening a month ago.  I felt I should err on the side of caution and ordered a backup battery.

Since I only ordered two weeks ago, I probably won't get mine for another couple of months.  I hope I don't need it before then. 

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gertiekindle said:
On the Amazon boards, several people posted that their batteries only lasted 2-3 months.

Little Gertie is now five months old, and I find that even turning on WN for a few minutes, causes the battery to run down about 1/4. That wasn't happening a month ago. I felt I should err on the side of caution and ordered a backup battery.
I agree. When I have whispernet on now, it drains the battery a lot more than it used to. I definitely think the battery is losing some life.

Steve

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I've read of some who have had a battery die.

And Radio Shack was advertising a Kindle battery http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3417205
though they are out of stock now too.

Also there was supposedly a "Lenmar" battery for Kindle in stock on Amazon but that doesn't appear in the listings anymore.

I don't notice any big drop in the Kindle's battery charge indicator when I turn Whispernet on unless the battery is already not fully charged.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts