Kindle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
stevene9 said:
I agree. When I have whispernet on now, it drains the battery a lot more than it used to. I definitely think the battery is losing some life.

Steve
I have the same problem. My month-old K is having to be charged every day or two when at first it was once a week or so. :p

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
stevene9 said:
I agree. When I have whispernet on now, it drains the battery a lot more than it used to. I definitely think the battery is losing some life.

Steve
Same here, I think I need to order a battery. I would be devastated if it died and I couldn't read.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also bought one when I got the Kindle because it was so inexpensive as far as batteries go.

I am also noticing that my battery goes to 50% with Whispernet on.  I didn't know if this was just happening lately, or if I hadn't noticed it before.  Thanks for the responses :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
After 13 months of use (K owner since 11/07) my Kindle started frequently freezing needing resets. First few freezes a soft reset would take care of the problem but then it needed hard ones.
It finally dawned on me that a new battery might take care of the problem. Fortunately I had bought a spare with the Kindle. New battery did the trick. New battery in for a month and zero freezes.
FWIW  in over a year Whispernet has only been off when I did a reset or changed the battery. I also do not turn the Kindle "off" but just put ti to "sleep". Considering the fact that I read a daily newspaper and a book every ten days or so I really can't complain.
Raffeer

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Welcome Raffeer, and congratulations on your first post, good info!

Be sure to check out our other forums including the Book Corner, Accessories and Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting!

Betsy

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ordered a battery three weeks ago but I am still waiting for the battery to be shipped.  I had noticed that I need to charge my Kindle a little more often than usual.  I have had my Kindle since last August with Whispernet turned on so I am not surprised but I did want the extra security of another battery.  If they are starting to be sent out, it gives me hope.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Trekker said:
Yes, there are. I just received a battery that I purchased on ebay, it came from Hong Kong and price including shipping was $18.00. It is an exact physical match and was charged to about 3/4. Works fine in the Kindle. I haven't had time to charge it yet but I'm confident I won't have any issues with it. It did take almost 3 weeks to get here.
Do the markings on the battery differ from the standard Kindle battery? Is there a company name?

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Raffeer - great information.  That is what this forum is all about!  I don't use whispernet because I am out of the area, but I don't charge all that often, max once a week.  But I recharge when I see the first peek of white  ::)

·
Registered
33 Posts
that is an unfortunate charateristic of polymer batteries. i was talking with an engineer who design CINE batteries- for professional film industry. they love polymer batteries because the power usage is absolutely flat, but he tells me that a cell phone application would suck the power out like a whirling dervish, because any type of communication device constantly fluctates and sputters. His recommendation was turn on whispernet, do what you have to do and get off. and the same thing recharge whenever convenient. its better for the battery. only a handful of full discharges will start to shorten its life.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got my replacement battery on Feb 1. I feel a little safer. We have 2 Kindles, so if one battery goes, we are ready. If no battery goes, I've bought a $19 insurance policy.

Steve

·
Registered
552 Posts
I ordered my replacement battery the same day as you Betsy so hopefully soon, although I got an email last week with stuff for sale for the kindle and they were selling the replacement batteries in that email.  Strange.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts