Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago my co-written second novel, Catch Your Death, was sitting at about 120 on Amazon.co.uk. Yesterday it rocketed up the charts. (I think in the US you say down the charts!) - 80, 60, 39, 25... all the way to 13 in 24 hours.

When I woke up this morning it was No.9.

It's now at No.3!! And it's only been out 3 weeks.

I actually sat and cried this morning because I was overcome with emotion. I've been trying to make it as a writer for 15 years. I had an agent, TV options, the works... But nothing ever got published. 5 years ago I gave up because it wasn't worth the pain. I put it all behind me.

Then the Kindle came along and I thought, 'Why not?'

Three months ago, my co-writer Louise and I put our first novel, Killing Cupid, live. For those three months I have worked like a dog to sell it, pushing it higher and higher up the charts until it finally broke the top 100 two weeks ago. That novel is now at No 13. But Catch Your Death is like a heat seeking missile, rocketing up the charts, surpassing all our expectations. I'm shocked, elated, giddy... and living, breathing proof that anyone can do it. 100% indie and proud. And I just want to say thank you to everyone on the Writers' Cafe for being so amazing and inspirational and supportive. This is an amazing forum and the success of people like J Carson Black, Victorine Lieske, Saffina Desforges, Mel Comley and loads of others is testament to that.

Now we just need to crack America  ;)

And hope it doesn't all go horribly wrong tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Congratulations, Mark! That's astounding! And I agree, this forum is a terrific and supportive home for writers, full of kind and generous people.

Rocket to the top!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I think this post made me happier than any I've read today.  It made me cry.  Congrats to you!!! And we say up the charts here too.  :)

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and I hope this is only the beginning of many more successful sales days for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congratulations, Mark!

Just wait, six months from now you'll update us with news about how all those people who rejected your writing in the past read about your Kindle success and are now clamoring to work with you. :)

Keep us posted on how the conquering of America goes!

·
Registered
586 Posts
markedwards said:
2 days ago my co-written second novel, Catch Your Death, was sitting at about 120 on Amazon.co.uk. Yesterday it rocketed up the charts. (I think in the US you say down the charts!) - 80, 60, 39, 25... all the way to 13 in 24 hours.

When I woke up this morning it was No.9.

It's now at No.3!! And it's only been out 3 weeks.

I actually sat and cried this morning because I was overcome with emotion. I've been trying to make it as a writer for 15 years. I had an agent, TV options, the works... But nothing ever got published. 5 years ago I gave up because it wasn't worth the pain. I put it all behind me.

Then the Kindle came along and I thought, 'Why not?'

Three months ago, my co-writer Louise and I put our first novel, Killing Cupid, live. For those three months I have worked like a dog to sell it, pushing it higher and higher up the charts until it finally broke the top 100 two weeks ago. That novel is now at No 13. But Catch Your Death is like a heat seeking missile, rocketing up the charts, surpassing all our expectations. I'm shocked, elated, giddy... and living, breathing proof that anyone can do it. 100% indie and proud. And I just want to say thank you to everyone on the Writers' Cafe for being so amazing and inspirational and supportive. This is an amazing forum and the success of people like J Carson Black, Victorine Lieske, Saffina Desforges, Mel Comley and loads of others is testament to that.

Now we just need to crack America ;)

And hope it doesn't all go horribly wrong tomorrow.
Well done to you
I've been at it since 1990 but only ever received rejections on non replies from magazines. I've lost count of the magazines who can't be bothered to email you or return your SAE in the past. The way I see it is it's their loss and Amazon's gain.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Mark -

That is just awesome! You must be so happy and satisfied - and you should be! Keep us posted about how it continues, but. . .number three?  Wow!

- Ed

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Congratulations.  Maybe there was a reason you didn't "make it" earlier--so you could do this instead.  Enjoy the moment.  I'm there much more incredible success ahead for you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Awesomeness!

(In Canada, we also say up the charts; I think it's the same in the U.S.)

Teresa

1 - 20 of 53 Posts