Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subscription is $2.99 a month, delivered weekly.

I've heard a lot of requests for this one. This is a great addition.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Can you tell us more about the magazine? (Besides what's on the Amazon page description.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CS said:
Can you tell us more about the magazine? (Besides what's on the Amazon page description.)
CS, it is a literary magazine that publishes articles and essays that cover a wide variety of topics, as well as short fiction and poetry.

You can check out the New Yorker web site to get a good idea of the content:

http://www.newyorker.com/

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Too expensive for digital content. That's a dollar a year more than the print version that's complete with 100% of the content. The digital version shouldn't be more than $2.49 a month max and preferably $1.99 a month.

·
Registered
508 Posts
LDB said:
Too expensive for digital content. That's a dollar a year more than the print version that's complete with 100% of the content. The digital version shouldn't be more than $2.49 a month max and preferably $1.99 a month.
Thanks very much for doing the math for this. I must admit New Yorker was the first magazine which truly tempted me. Knowing I can get it less expensively in the print version (with all the cartoons, and the advertisements, which I also truly love), is helpful. (I shall now go and seek out a subscription to the print version.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have just noticed that the New Yorker Magazine is available on the Kindle. Does anyone get this? Do you get the cartoons on the Kindle?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks LDB. Maybe I'll try a single issue to see how I like it. I like the New Yorker when traveling - it's great plane reading. 

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm a New Yorker subscriber going W A Y back.  Y'all are going to think I'm crazy (and I am,) but I think I'd miss the strip ads on the side of the margins if I start to get TNY on my Kindle rather than in paper form.

I cannot tell you all the wonderful items I have been introduced to from these ads over the years.  Most recently a company that produces DVDs to teach languages to toddler and smaller sized people (I have a three year old niece,) I have never seen this company advertised anywhere else (www.littlepim.com)

So I'm going to order a trial and see how it goes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was comparing the price of a 1-year print subscription to the price of a 1-year Kindle subscription. Of course the rate is lower if you're willing to sign up for 2 years at a time, as with most paper magazine subscriptions. I personally am too noncommittal to agree to such a long-term affair but even if I weren't, to me the convenience of wireless delivery and being able to read it on the Kindle would be worth the whopping $0.91 extra.

Regardless, this thread was to let all of those know who have been anxiously awaiting for this magazine to be made available for the Kindle that is finally here. Enjoy!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Conde Nast has been folding magazines left and right, and more are rumored to be on the chopping block. As far as I know the New Yorker has had the biggest drop in ad revenue out of all of their remaining titles. We're lucky it even still exists.

I would like to pay less for electronic versions as well but all of the other operating costs associated with producing the content remain the same, plus the time and cost of converting it to Kindle-compatible format are now added expenses for the publisher. Hopefully things will be easier (and cheaper) in the future but for now I think we just have to endure this period of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I suspect for as many who are noncommittal and want 1 yr there are just as many who have had it for years and would want 2 yrs to lock in pricing. My main point was there should be a lower price for the almost all gravy/bonus ebook subscriptions they'd gain from ebook readers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts