Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I downloaded this trilogy from Amzon.  Great deal at just $8 for all three books.

I up to chapter 6 or 7 and while I like the author's style of writing, so far the story is not going anywhere.  It has about three sets of characters all moving in parallel, but it doesn't seem like I've gotten anywhere yet.  My fear is that with over 3500 pages I may be wasting my time.

Has anyone read this trilogy?  Are things going to start to happen?  Will the pace pick up?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Link or author? I can't correlate the name or price to anything coming up in a quick search.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Ah, that could be.  In which case, I can't help Knipfty on how it is...I bought it based on the description, price and good reviews, but haven't started it yet. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Night's Dawn Trilogy", by Peter Hamilton?  YES.

This is what I get when I am trying to do two things at once...

Anyway, now on chapter 8 and still I don't know where this book is heading.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't speak to that series (although I have it and it is one of my upcoming reads) nor if you'll like it, but I've read other Peter Hamilton and loved his stuff (Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained/Dreaming Void.)

He takes a lot longer to build into what is happening, often where huge portions of the beginning volume of multiple volume series being nothing but seemingly unconnected parallel stories that don't seem to be going anywhere.  And I felt that same frustration at that point you do.

Then before you know they start connecting dramatically and I found it very satisfyingly so. 

I love Hamilton because he does tend to be much, much slower in his setups but that development pays off substantially better in the end than many shorter works I read.

That's said, YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MWB - Thanks for the reply.  I hope you are right.  I like the style of his writing.  He certainly is not at a loss for details.  I'm just so far into this book and just can't see where it is going.  No teasers.  No real problems.  One minor mystery of a couple of missing/presumed dead people.  A good mix of good and bad characters.  Just no story tying them together or where this book is heading.

Again thanks and have a good weekend!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts