Kindle Forum banner

381 - 400 of 946 Posts

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Meemo said:
Very jealous of those wh are seeing their June 6/7 ship dates moved up - mine still says June 6 (walnut/wifi/SO) but my fingers are crossed. My Echo Dot was supposed to arrive May 10 and it's out for delivery today, though, so maybe I'll get lucky again!

Anxiously awaiting all your first impressions, hope you'll all be as pleased as Gwen. :)
I have the same Oasis on order and I had a date of June 7th, even this morning it was that. I just checked and it says May 16th. So keep checking. Looks like they moving at least some of them up. Might be order cancelling who knows.

I also just changed my shipping to one day. I do this so it would come with UPS. At least I hope so. Postal service does not deliver to the door here and I get tired hunting down the office peeps.

That now changed the date to arriving May 13th instead of arriving may 16th. Its a weekend in between and it said shipping out on the 12th. All that info is there when you hit the tracking button for those that don't know.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
barryem said:
I wonder if this sort of shipment awaiting thread is a new kind of social event and interaction resulting from the internet. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it before. The closest I've seen was when my son was born, waiting in the waiting room with my wife's sister for news from the doctor.

I haven't ordered an Oasis yet but now I'm almost sorry I didn't because I'll bet the fun of this anticipating and participating is worth the price. Makes me want to go out and father another kid. :)

Barry
I do think this is something that the Internet has spawned. We didn't really have a single thread in the olden days here--people would announce in individual threads, though, that their Kindle was on the way and we would celebrate with them. Using a search, the earliest actual "Kindle Watch" thread that I've found so far is from 2010. But yeah, we've been doing this a long time by Internet years. ;D

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
gwen10 said:
It's here! My Kindle Oasis (wifi, black, w/special offers) arrived about an hour ago. I have to say, it was love at first sight. No doubts about this device AT ALL! Unlike others, I never really warmed up to the Voyage and it's origami cover. Looks like my Voyage will be listed on eBay soon.
Yay!!!! #jealous!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I do think this is something that the Internet has spawned. We didn't really have a single thread in the olden days here--people would announce in individual threads, though, that their Kindle was on the way and we would celebrate with them. Using a search, the earliest actual "Kindle Watch" thread that I've found so far is from 2010. But yeah, we've been doing this a long time by Internet years. ;D

Betsy
At the Amazon discussion board--the one where people hung out pre-Kboards--I think we had some sort of a watch thread. I remember people posting about getting shipping notices and so on.

L

·
Registered
322 Posts
Meemo said:
Very jealous of those wh are seeing their June 6/7 ship dates moved up - mine still says June 6 (walnut/wifi/SO) but my fingers are crossed. My Echo Dot was supposed to arrive May 10 and it's out for delivery today, though, so maybe I'll get lucky again!

Anxiously awaiting all your first impressions, hope you'll all be as pleased as Gwen. :)
Same here...Walnut wifi, June 6 arrival date, still. Boo! I'm sure I will be obsessively checking my order throughout the day, hoping, hoping :)

Looking forward to reviews and pictures from everyone receiving their Oasis this week!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Leslie said:
At the Amazon discussion board--the one where people hung out pre-Kboards--I think we had some sort of a watch thread. I remember people posting about getting shipping notices and so on.

L
I never hung out there. Here, we seem to have individual threads from people, not a single thread. Interesting!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yeah! My Oasis is here. Thanks, UPS!

I have the Merlot cover and it is sort of mottled looking but I am getting used to it. I opened it up, followed the instructions on screen to set up wifi and connect to my account--no problems at all. I downloaded a book and plugged it in to get it fully charged. The default for the page turn buttons is page forward on the top button--I figured out how to change that since I am used to page forward being on the bottom.

The screen is nice and bright. I am tempted to just sit back and read but I really need to be doing some work! Ack!

L

·
Registered
296 Posts
Leslie said:
Yeah! My Oasis is here. Thanks, UPS!

I have the Merlot cover and it is sort of mottled looking but I am getting used to it. I opened it up, followed the instructions on screen to set up wifi and connect to my account--no problems at all. I downloaded a book and plugged it in to get it fully charged. The default for the page turn buttons is page forward on the top button--I figured out how to change that since I am used to page forward being on the bottom.

The screen is nice and bright. I am tempted to just sit back and read but I really need to be doing some work! Ack!

L
I also ordered the merlot but mine is not coming until 5/4. What do you think about the quality of the leather? Kind of wishing I had ordered the walnut now, but don't want to change it and lose my delivery date.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
nikkidog said:
I also ordered the merlot but mine is not coming until 5/4. What do you think about the quality of the leather? Kind of wishing I had ordered the walnut now, but don't want to change it and lose my delivery date.
The leather seems about average. It's smooth on the inside, leathery feeling on the outside. Nothing particularly exciting but it works well to cover the Oasis and that is what is important to me.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
While posting about your new Kindle as it arrives is perfect here--entirely part of the Watch Thread philosophy--I've also started a separate thread just for first impressions to help people find that info (and because I'm bored while I'm waiting for my KO :D).

So, if you want to post in that thread (as Leslie has), here's the link:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,234947.0.html

*ponders other threads to start/post in while waiting....maybe I could do housework? Nah.....*

Betsy

·
Registered
296 Posts
Leslie said:
The leather seems about average. It's smooth on the inside, leathery feeling on the outside. Nothing particularly exciting but it works well to cover the Oasis and that is what is important to me.

L
Thanks Leslie

·
Registered
406 Posts
So I hemmed and hawed, but with all the excitement here I got pulled in (as usual).  I'd prefer the merlot cover but the website gives an in-stock date of 2-4 MONTHS!  So I ordered the black cover, WiFi, no ads (this didn't seem to make a difference to the ship date).  Mine is scheduled to be here May 11th.  I can live with that.  It's nice that they provide for a 5-month payment - doesn't seem nearly so expensive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I finally ordered, Merlot without SO, and free 3G.  September something.  That's ok as I have enough black devices and my Voyage works fine.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
auntmarge said:
So I hemmed and hawed, but with all the excitement here I got pulled in (as usual). I'd prefer the merlot cover but the website gives an in-stock date of 2-4 MONTHS! So I ordered the black cover, WiFi, no ads (this didn't seem to make a difference to the ship date). Mine is scheduled to be here May 11th. I can live with that. It's nice that they provide for a 5-month payment - doesn't seem nearly so expensive.
I actually briefly considered ordering the black from Best Buy so I could get it today, but I didn't want to lose the 5-month payment plan. My brain certainly understands that I'm paying the same amount, but it just feels less painful when it's absolutely a "want" purchase rather than a "need" for me. ;D

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
KindleGirl said:
It's here! It's here! It's so little! I got the walnut cover and it feels wonderful. I'll head to the first impressions thread after I get it set up and play around a bit.
Can't wait to hear what you think about the walnut cover. I see merlots coming in but I ordered walnut so I am curious

·
Registered
710 Posts
I keep debating between waiting for my September Merlot or just go ahead and buy the Black one. I think the reason I'm hesitating is because I don't plan on getting another cover for it, since I'm already forking out so much for it.

381 - 400 of 946 Posts