Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...a one star demon attacked my bestselling book recently.

I've sold hundreds of copies of the book overall, usually making several sales a day.  Nobody had left a review until recently.  Then this one star demon came along, spit out its venom and all sales completely stopped!

It sucks because the review has some opinion (if a reader doesn't like a book, that's a fair thing to say), but the review also has some things in it that are factually wrong about the book.  That's a problem and should not be allowed to stand.  Amazon's advice?  "The author can comment on the review"....because we all know how far that gets anybody.

I wouldn't care about the review (really)  if there hadn't been a drop off to zero of sales since the day it was posted.

It looks particularly bad to have only one review of a novel and have it be a one star. 

Has anyone successfully fought off the one star demon?

G

·
Find some reviewers to send the book to and ask that they post their reviews to Amazon. A one star review will not completely kill sales if there are even a couple of others. It might take some time for you though, maybe a big giveaway. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I had this happen to my historical.  The very first review on it was a one star review, posted not long after I first put the book up for sale.  It only sold maybe twenty copies a month for a while.  Eventually, it got a few other, better reviews (along with another one-star review) and started to sell, and right now it's my bestseller.  So a one-star review, while it can temporarily put a hold on your sales, is not necessarily the end of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

It's good to know that the sales can come back.  It's shocking that one random person's whim/opinion can actually affect sales/income like this.  It's not like the reviewer is a book blogger with a following. 

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is why I wouldn't pay attention to a single 1-star review.

If the sample looked good, I'd still give the book a chance. And if I liked the book, I'd be sure to leave a review to help balance it out for the author.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Victorine said:
And be aware that Amazon's sales reporting is messed up right now. So you could have a sale or two that isn't showing up. ;)

Vicki
Thank you for this post! I started a thread about this very subject a few minutes ago, only out in the Book Bazaar like a moron. :)

I couldn't figure out why my sales stopped COLD overnight Sunday -- even though I bought a copy of my book myself to send to a reviewer.

G

·
Fredster said:
Thank you for this post! I started a thread about this very subject a few minutes ago, only out in the Book Bazaar like a moron. :)

I couldn't figure out why my sales stopped COLD overnight Sunday -- even though I bought a copy of my book myself to send to a reviewer.
I thought your thread was going to be about having just a 1 star review, so I checked out your books. You may be the only person in the world who would probably benefit from a negative review or two just to show that there are some differences of opinion and people can get riled up over it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
foreverjuly said:
I thought your thread was going to be about having just a 1 star review, so I checked out your books. You may be the only person in the world who would probably benefit from a negative review or two just to show that there are some differences of opinion and people can get riled up over it.
Shhhhh, the one-star demon hasn't found me yet! ;)

(except the way things are now, it looks like my reviews are from friends and family, but they're not. Well, one is -- my father-in-law, thinking he was helping me, I guess)

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I am really skeptical that a low-starred review is ever responsible for a noticeable drop in sales.  Sales are like that.  Don't read too much into it.

There are people who just DO that kind of thing.  Sometimes they are in earnest, sometimes they're just passive-aggressive nasties who have to hurt someone every so often.  Ironically - as foreverjuly pointed out - such behavior actually is more likely to help you than harm you.  A higher number of reviews is good for you.  A greater variety of ratings feels more natural.  (Most top best sellers have lots of bashing.)  And worst comes to worst, people read an unfair review, and react against it.

Camille

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I am really skeptical that a low-starred review is ever responsible for a noticeable drop in sales.
I think when it's your only review, it can definitely affect sales adversely (though you're right that it's impossible to know that for sure). If you have a number of reviews already, however, it can actually be beneficial, as a kind of confirmation that your reviews are genuine. So like many things, it depends. :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you haven't put a sample chapter of that novel in others with a link to the Amazon page, I would do that as well.  Not every book is for every reader, and if a reader likes your work, it makes it so much easier for them to buy another book.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
foreverjuly said:
Find some reviewers to send the book to and ask that they post their reviews to Amazon. A one star review will not completely kill sales if there are even a couple of others. It might take some time for you though, maybe a big giveaway. Good luck.
What he said.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Thread locked as the OP has signs of being posted by a sock puppet account.

Warning: as our Forum Decorum states, registering multiple accounts is a bannable offense on our forums.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.