Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a confirmed Kindleaholic and have been since I got my K1 and love my K2. Since I got my Kindle I have not purchased many print books. But I do have to say that there is one thing that I miss about print books. My Hubby used to be able see where I was in my book and we had an unspoken agreement that he would not talk to me when I was in the last "10 pages" of my book. Well on the Kindle he can't tell that I am in the last "10 pages"!!! So, I have had to perfect the exasperated yet patient look that he has learned means that perhaps he could wait about 20 minutes.

I am beginning to think that I need an accessory that would trigger some kind LED when I was in the last 3% of the book. That would be a great wishlist item.  ::)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Since I don't care for anyone to talk to me at anytime in a book I think I would be tempted to always say it was the last ten pages.  LOL.  I know, I'm not always nice. 
deb

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I'm reading I block out everything so it doesn't matter if it's the last ten pages or the first ten.  Perhaps you could unfold your cover when you get close to the end?  :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I know what you mean, Rhia. I'm often that way about work. There are times when I find a zone that I absolutely can't be distracted or distrurbed from in any way. People that've shared my space learn this right away. The problem being that these 'states' aren't immediately distinguishable to observers.

I had a girl I'd taken to calling, 'The Gentleman From Porlock', for her uncanny ability to sense these moments, and start conversations. After a couple of these occurences, she bought me a ballcap that said, "Talk To Me And I'll Kill You" on it.  It was a gag gift, but it worked great, I'd slap it on during those critical times of a project, and everybody was happy.

So, get a hat. But if you choose to use the same slogan on it, take it off before you go to the store. Trust me.   :eek:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
One thing I don't miss is paper cuts.  ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Suzanne said:
A big thing I miss on paper books is cheating! The minute I become attached to a character I am looking to the back of the book to see if it works out okay for them! :D
I have this problem too!!! I stayed up until 4am the other night to read the whole book because I couldn't skip ahead. I also miss picking up a previously read book, opening to a random page, and starting from there.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Suzanne said:
A big thing I miss on paper books is cheating! The minute I become attached to a character I am looking to the back of the book to see if it works out okay for them! :D
Yep...me too.........I also open my Christmas presents before Christmas

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
There are times when I find a zone that I absolutely can't be distracted or distrurbed from in any way.
Some of the biggest arguments that my husband and i have is that I just won't hear him if I am reading. Then I ask him to repeat himself and he accuses me of not listening.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I am always in the *zone* when reading. I hear nothing. I miss the covers of DTB's. I  still go in book stores for the smell and joy of browsing. I will list books I see that I may like and them come home and check for Kindle versions. I don't ever see myself not going into book stores, too much pleasure there.  :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I go into a bookstore almost daily. I browse the titles, make a few notes, get a coffee, then either work or read my kindle at their outdoor cafe. Best of both worlds.  :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
I go into a bookstore almost daily. I browse the titles, make a few notes, get a coffee, then either work or read my kindle at their outdoor cafe. Best of both worlds. :)
You know one of the reasons why I stopped going to bookstores. I still like them I just have to go earlier in the day and there aren't any close to work. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Rhiathame said:
I am a confirmed Kindleaholic and have been since I got my K1 and love my K2. Since I got my Kindle I have not purchased many print books. But I do have to say that there is one thing that I miss about print books. My Hubby used to be able see where I was in my book and we had an unspoken agreement that he would not talk to me when I was in the last "10 pages" of my book. Well on the Kindle he can't tell that I am in the last "10 pages"!!! So, I have had to perfect the exasperated yet patient look that he has learned means that perhaps he could wait about 20 minutes.

I am beginning to think that I need an accessory that would trigger some kind LED when I was in the last 3% of the book. That would be a great wishlist item. ::)
You need a little flag or even a paperclip you can keep in whatever your Kindle "lives" in (assuming you use a cover) - you can put the paper clip on the cover when you get near the end (or "hoist the flag") or some other kind of visual cue for him that you're almost done.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL, these are all awesome ideas. Like many of you I get in the zone while I am reading and not much intrudes, however...my Hubby is very determined and does a great puppy dog eye imitation and if that does not work he enlists the dog and cats to get my attention. It is a good thing he is cute!

I will probably use some kind of indication that I am there in the last bit of the book. Of course, I may get so engrossed in the book I forget to "hoist the flag". :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Rhiathame said:
LOL, these are all awesome ideas. Like many of you I get in the zone while I am reading and not much intrudes, however...my Hubby is very determined and does a great puppy dog eye imitation and if that does not work he enlists the dog and cats to get my attention. It is a good thing he is cute!

I will probably use some kind of indication that I am there in the last bit of the book. Of course, I may get so engrossed in the book I forget to "hoist the flag". :)
I was being nice in my suggestions - me, I'd hoist the middle finger...I'm a bad,bad girl...(but somehow have managed to stay married 35 years anyway...)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Meemo said:
I was being nice in my suggestions - me, I'd hoist the middle finger...I'm a bad,bad girl...(but somehow have managed to stay married 35 years anyway...)
Haha! all my wife would have to do to stop me from bothering her is give me "the look". You know the one..

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
KindleKid said:
Haha! all my wife would have to do to stop me from bothering her is give me "the look". You know the one..
Any man who is married knows "the look". If mama ain't happy, ain't noooobody happy!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts