Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Oh dear.... Sounds like the author had the book ghostwritten then didn't bother checking to make sure everything was kosher before publishing.

And she got so high on the charts with it. Wonder if it'll make it onto any lists this week, the book really killed it with sales...

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The author was a ghostwriter herself. I have to say this stinks on ice. The author is deleting posts and things - that is not an innocent thing to do.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Monique said:
The author was a ghostwriter herself. I have to say this stinks on ice. The author is deleting posts and things - that is not an innocent thing to do.
And I just noticed she had a KB posting up about her "success"! Oh man, this really isn't going to go well at all....

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Sara Fawkes said:
Oh dear.... Sounds like the author had the book ghostwritten then didn't bother checking to make sure everything was kosher before publishing.
Sorry, I'm not believing that.

I don't see how they thought they would get away with this. People are bound to notice.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The good thing is that the "author" hasn't been paid by Amazon yet, so at least there's that.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
This made me so, so sad for the readers who got duped and the frigging SMUDGE this wannabe author put on the indie name.  The industry doesn't need backsteps like this.  Dammit.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
ellecasey said:
This made me so, so sad for the readers who got duped and the frigging SMUDGE this wannabe author put on the indie name. The industry doesn't need backsteps like this. Dammit.
+1

As a writer who's dabbled with tradpub and actively working toward self-publishing titles this fall, it's incredibly disheartening to see someone make more material for the nay-sayers to throw around.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Glad the book is off sale.

I doubt it was ghostwritten. It's expensive to get something coherent. That's a convenient excuse from a ghostwriter.

M

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Harper Alibeck said:
If it did well enough Mon-Sun on BN and Amazon, it might very well hit the USA Today list. I wonder how THAT is handled?
My guess is that there are people that would like to see this get on the USA today list so that it (and the self-publisher plagiarist story) gain a lot of traction. Wouldn't be surprised to see this hit the ticker on some of the 24hr news networks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's amazing to me that somehow this person cobbled together giant chunks from other novels and somehow turned it into a book that people love and were showering with 5-star reviews (until they learned it was plagiarized - now it's getting skewered on Amazon).

As I've been typing this post, it looks like Amazon is taking action. I can't get onto the book's page anymore. Kudos to the readers who discovered this and made things happen so quickly.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sara Fawkes said:
And I just noticed she had a KB posting up about her "success"! Oh man, this really isn't going to go well at all....
That's just sad (as in it breaks my heart to hear that) because I so love whenever I read about a KB author announcing some success that it really hurts to find out that someone who did that might end up on the wrong side of the criticism pile.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
Ghostwriter? Now I'm totally befuddled. Who originally wrote the words?
True enough. No matter if a GW did the story or the author, either way it was the author's responsibility to see this didn't happen. Because she published it, she's the culpable party.

I have no love for plagarizers, unintended or otherwise. I'm glad it's down, but REALLY hope it doesn't get onto any lists and give media outlets more fodder...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
ellecasey said:
This made me so, so sad for the readers who got duped and the frigging SMUDGE this wannabe author put on the indie name. The industry doesn't need backsteps like this. Dammit.
Yeah, I'm sure Salon will be shaming us all for this by this time tomorrow.

But just like with the Locke scandal, the truth is that most people are playing the game right. Because the writing itself is what matters to them. That's always going to win out with readers in the end.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It bothers me even more that "she" came to the kboards and befouled our ranks spread her false claims of success. There are good folk here who live, dream, and bleed writing. Your kind is not welcome. :mad:

1 - 20 of 404 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.