Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is that everyone using it has the same ip address. editing wikipedia is currently disabled for people wit 3g on kindle due to someone vandalizing it from kindle. there are other sites that use ips where this could create an issue. amazon should find a wa to assign everyonetheir own ip.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Dolorous Edd Tollet said:
Is there a monthly fee for 3G? If not there is no way they are going to assign an IP for every kindle 3G.
This might be a way for Amazon to offer a paid subscription service in the future. Pay $x/year and get your own dedicated Kindle IP address. Although until/if they come out with a color version, I don't see why folks would be spending that much time surfing and interacting on the web (other than book-related) with their Kindles.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Dolorous Edd Tollet said:
Is there a monthly fee for 3G? If not there is no way they are going to assign an IP for every kindle 3G.
No fee, but who knows what will come along in the future. I received my 3g kindle two days ago. Its my first one. The old white one wasn't available in the UK, though you could import it yourself I think. In the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see added functionality like touchscreens and apps added to kindle, though I think it would be better without the apps. I like the kindle as a simple reading device. I don't need another tablet comp.

The browser is still experimental on the kindle i believe? I personally think its fine as is. It lets me buy books and browse amazon. That's all I need. I wouldn't dream of editing wikipedia with it even if I could. I sometimes use my phone to respond to forums or email, but again i wouldn't use it at wikipedia. I have a computer at home for that sort of stuff.

Mark E. Cooper

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I am curious why anyone would want to try using their Kindle to edit Wikipedia, as well.  Then again, I don't even use Kindle apps.  I like it just fine for its intended purpose...to read books.  If you want something that does a lot more, you need to invest in a tablet PC.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There aren't enough available v4 IP addresses available to Amazon to assign a different one to every 3G Kindle.  I'm not sure how a 3G connection gets mapped to an IP address, anyway, since it is not the usual way of connecting to the web (cellular, as opposed to wi-fi/normal hard-wired network connection).  The older Kindles only had 3G, and they sold a ton of them.

I googled this, and I don't see anything about editing of wikipedia being blocked from Kindle.  Did you get an error message while trying to edit a wikipedia entry?  It is quite possible that the wikipedia editing screens are too much for the Kindle browser to handle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
is that everyone using it has the same ip address. editing wikipedia is currently disabled for people wit 3g on kindle due to someone vandalizing it from kindle. there are other sites that use ips where this could create an issue. amazon should find a wa to assign everyonetheir own ip.
Each Kindle doesn't have the same ip address, that would be a neat trick. What happens is, when the Kindle is turned on it grabs an address from a pool of IP addresses owned by Amazon. To block all Kindles from editing, they would have to ban every address that is assigned to amazon (it ip's slated for the kindle) which can easliy be done by banning that entire range of ip addresses. The problem with this technique comes if amazon doesnt own the whole subnet, there will be people banned who were legitimately assigned an address and aren't on a kindle :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The browser has been "experimental" since the K1.  It was slightly improved for the K2, and a bit more for the K3.  I got the K1 when it first came out.  In the last 4 years the number of times I've used the browser is less than 8.  And those eight times were before I got a smartphone and needed to pull up an address or a map.

I bought the Kindle to read on.  If I want to get on the web while out and about I use my phone.  As for the phone, it does have the Kindle app on it, but I never use it.  The screen is too itty bitty and I didn't buy it to read on in any case...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
happyme said:
Yeah, this sure does happen. Not only with Kindle but with other devices too. Becuase 2 people connect from the same ip.
As SusanCassidy explained above, 2 people cannot connect from the same IP address at the same time. However, nearly all ISPs work the same way, which is to allocate an IP address to you from a pool of addresses, and so if you are allocated an IP address which has previously been used by somebody else to cause abuse and has therefore been blocked, you will have problems.

Wikipedia explain their approach to it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blocking_IP_addresses, which clearly explains why blocking IP addresses does not necessarily have the desired effect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.