Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do they put things like that in a movie and then label it a "family movie"? My kids are so upset.  :mad: I really wish they'd put some kind of warning on cartoons and kids' movies to let you know a main character dies.

My kids (5 and 6) are always disturbed by that sort of thing and I'd prefer to steer them toward happy movies. But the descriptions don't mention elements that might be upsetting to kids and you can't always trust the G rating that something is going to be suitable for small children.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think they should do that too.  I don't mind if the dog dies after a long, happy life (cuz I think kids need to learn to deal with that), but movies like Bambi and Old Yeller drive me crazy.  I couldn't watch them again if my life depended on it.  Or any kind of animal abuse.  People, yes.  Animals, no.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Then don't let your kids watch classic Disney ... heart-wrenching losses are what drive nearly every one of those stories.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I tried to reply yesterday but for some reason couldn't stay connected to the net... When my kids were young I used www.screenit.com for movie, video, and TV show reviews. It was free then but unfortunately costs around $25 a year now. Their reviews gave just the kind of info you would be looking for though - everything from what kind of role models the characters are to what kinds of upsetting content there might be to whether there are scary "jump scenes." I think there are something like 15 different scales for evaluating each movie. The website has sample reviews you can view to see if it might be worth it. I wish I could find a free website that good - but I can't.

Edited because I had a space in the link - it is www.screenit.com

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
...and have you seen what Roadrunner has done to poor Mr. Coyote over the years??

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think putting in scenes like that, especially in a kid's movie is terrible. It used to be that kid movies were happy.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Every time I see the title to this thread it runs through my brain to the tune of "Grandma got run over by a reindeer."
;D ;D ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts