Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy almost summer. It's time once again to sign up for the new month's game .... so here we go:

I'm not that big on rules, but you need some to keep everyone in line. So here are the rules and how the game works:

When signing up:
1. Sign up runs from the 21th through the 28th
2. State your Usual genres
3. List any Deal-breakers (genres, cost, size, etc.)
4. If you want to use last month's information again, just let me know ....
5. Be filled with anticipation and a little dread

Picking a book:
1. You'll get your selectee's name and info on the 29th
2. Pick a book you love and adore, is outside your person's usual genres, not a Deal breaker,
3. and that is no more than - $9.99 ...
4. You get to think about it and stew until the game thread is created on the first day of the month …
5. Stress out over whether your selection is good enough
6. Add a second selection if you want - or don't - it's all good.
7. I'll create the game thread in the Book Klub on the 1st where you will post your selection(s).

Once you get your book:
1. Be surprised at the choice and maybe a little unsure
2. If you get two selections, let us know which one you're choosing
2.5 Or choose both
3. Read your book (no cheating)
4. Come back to the thread often to tell us what you think.
5. And most of all, have fun ...

Other rules
1. You have veto power over your selection - if its just too far out for you, ask for a new one - no one will hate you
2. If you're late to sign up, no worries, we have back-up selector minions - just PM me ...
3. If life happens and your selector doesn't give you a book by the 5th, a new selector will be assigned for you
4. We're all grown folks here, so just act like one ....

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I'll dive in again because it's been a few months and I keep trying.

I'll be honest, I'm the most high-maintenance player in this game. I love being a picker (and I think I do pretty well in that department) but I have a harder time as a pickee. Ready to take me on? Okay, here's a few parameters:

1) I want something well written and absorbing. I do much better with books that I immediately get into and can't put down.
1.5) It helps if you have read the book and can tell me that you couldn't put it down when you read it.
2) Don't give me classics or books I am "supposed" to read. I have an aversion to assigned reading and when I get a selection that feels assigned I tend to reject it out of hand. Of course you may not know what on earth I am talking about but I am just being honest!
3) In general, I do better with newer books rather than classics. If something is a classic and I haven't read it, there is probably a reason why.
4) In general, I do better with shorter books rather than long. I have a hard time committing to a tome.
5) If the book has a gay character or two, I am probably going to be more interested.
6) If all of the above is too overwhelming, consider non-fiction, especially science (healthcare, medical) or military history.

Intimidated? Who wants to take me on? LOL

L

PS. I do have a goodreads bookshelf: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3134800-leslie-nicoll

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Leslie said:
I'll dive in again because it's been a few months and I keep trying.

I'll be honest, I'm the most high-maintenance player in this game. I love being a picker (and I think I do pretty well in that department) but I have a harder time as a pickee. Ready to take me on? Okay, here's a few parameters:...
This describes me pretty well, too, though some of the details vary. :) But I guess I'm emotionally back to a place where I'm ready to give it a go, again, so...

Usual genres:
  • Science Fiction
  • Fantasy (not paranormal romance)
  • Science fact (esp. physics and astronomy)
  • Military history

Deal-Breakers:
  • Romance (the genre), "chick lit"
  • excessive sex/violence (for an undefined value of "excessive")
  • "Preachy", pushing a particular religious or political viewpoint
  • Priced over $9.99
  • Part of a long series or unfinished series (not necessarily a deal-breaker if really, really good ;) )
  • Devoid of any real artistry (just prose with no effective imagery, metaphors, etc.)

PS: my GoodReads page

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm in again. Same as last month :).

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
After sitting out for months while trying to catch up on books, I'm ready to jump back in (not that I'm caught up...I've just given up on the idea).

Usual genres:
Drama
Mystery/thriller
Contemporary fiction

Deal breakers
Non-fictionSci-fi or fantasy that has no touch of realism in it. Gotta have a link to the real world.

edit: My goodreads page - http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1255546?shelf=read

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm in again same info as last months.  Can't wait for june to begin.  I tried to link my goodreads in my siggy but it doesn't seem to work.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Luvmy4brats said:
I'm in again... Same as before.

And I'm up to taking Leslie on... I think I have a book for her. It's one of my unputdownable ones and I think it would be perfect.

I'm still working on my May selection,but I'm getting there...
I guess that means you're siccing me on Charles I can have fun doing him - especially since our tastes overlap imperfectly. <evil laugh>I already have a couple things in mind</evil laugh> BUT, I call dibs on Leslie for July whether she plays or not ...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Geoffrey said:
I guess that means you're siccing me on Charles I can have fun doing him - especially since our tastes overlap imperfectly. <evil laugh>I already have a couple things in mind</evil laugh> BUT, I call dibs on Leslie for July whether she plays or not ...

I guess I'm in for July, too!

I did pick a book for Charles which, as I recall, he thought was pretty good:

L

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm in too! And I am low low maintenance, so I'll balance out our high maintenance people this time around! Btw- June marks my 6th month. Wowwww, time flies! :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune... im in.  :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm in again, same info.  This will be my 16th book recommendation from this game!  It's a very eclectic shelf om my Goodreads, but I noticed most of my ratings have been 4 star.  I guess I'm pretty easy. 

1 - 20 of 33 Posts