Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read Walter Tevis' "The Queen's Gambit" decades ago and and from time to time for no reason I can think of it comes to mind again.  It was a beautiful, sad and yet hopeful book about a 9 year old girl in an orphanage who is taught to play chess by the janitor and becomes a world class player.  But, of course, there's much more to the book than that.

For those who aren't familiar with Walter Tevis, he's the author of "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money", both of which were made famous by Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason and George C Scott.  But "The Queen's Gambit" was his best book by far.

I have a special interest in this sort of thing, having played tournament chess for a number of years, although I never reached anything like the level of these players.  Still, I loved the game.

Anyway, the point of all this is that Netflix has created and is showing a mini-series now based on the book and it's beautifully done.  I can't compare it to the book, having read it so many years ago, but it's certainly the best thing I've watched in quite some time.

As always, I suggest reading the book first and then watching the series.  I wish I'd done that.  I saw it and took a look, wondering if it was going to be any good, planning to read it and then watch.  But I can't stop watching.  I'll read it again later.  This is what television was invented for.

Barry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agreed. One of my favorite shows this year. The story, acting, music, set design. Everything was so well done.

·
Registered
608 Posts
They did a NICE job on it.  Director and main screenwriter was Scott Frank, who also wrote the scripts for Get Shorty, Out of Sight, and A Walk Among the Tombstones, among others.  I read the book decades ago as well (and recommend it highly) and I'd thought it an unlikely candidate for filming.  But once I saw Frank's name attached, I knew it would be worth a look.  And it is -- well worth the time, even if you aren't that familiar with chess.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I remembered seeing a movie made from this a few years after I read it but I've been searching IMDB and google and I can't find anything about it.  I guess I must be mistaken but the memory is so vivid.  Does anyone else remember this?

Barry

·
Registered
59 Posts
barryem said:
As always, I suggest reading the book first and then watching the series.
Boy, your theory is different from mine. If I've read the book, I avoid the movie. If I've seen the movie, I avoid the book. That comes from years ago being too often very unhappy over differences.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You know, I liked this book back in the day, but upon a recent re-read, didn’t warm to anyone in it. I’m afraid to re-read Mockingbird, because that one is a true standout in my memories and fondness. Maybe Walter T didn’t write as poignantly as I thought, back when.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts