1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Another anti-self-publishing piece with the most expensive examples they could dig up. I like that phrase "haters gonna hate."

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
glutton said:
Covers made with all free/your own images?
I've never been able to find the right images on stock photo sites, though I've spent hours looking. I don't know how other people do... I'm not saying my covers are brilliant, though they are getting better, I think. Joel Friedlander was complimentary about my last one.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
HAGrant said:
Another anti-self-publishing piece with the most expensive examples they could dig up. I like that phrase "haters gonna hate."
Agreed about the examples used. I'm not sure I'd want my name/info printed in this article, especially at some of the prices paid.

(Altho I have to say I absolutely loathe the phrase 'haters gonna hate.' In fact I despise the word 'hater.' Waaay too overused these days.)

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Probably an accurate estimate of the top end of the range. But it's a bit like quoting the price of a BMW Series-6 as the real price of a car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so I'm not crazy for thinking these estimates are wayyyyyy higher than they should be. Most of my $1,000 went into paying for tables at national bookfairs, while my production cost were very minimal.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I wonder how much Julia Pandl spent to be the example of that article?  I think the examples given are a bit extreme.  $3.50 a page for editing.  $1,600 for a cover.  $8,800 for a vanity press run.  Buying full price ISBN numbers one at a time and all that money on web design.

I can look over my own ledger and see exactly how much money it's cost me so far and it's a lot.  They should be mentioning things that add up like office supplies.  I don't know about you but I went through nine ink cartridges for my printer at $24.99 a pop for my trilogy.  However not much of what I have spent could have been cut.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
That article's not wrong, though. I'd say $1460 is on the low side for editing, if you need a lot of help. Plus, most people smart enough to write a book are going to notice which items they can tackle themselves, such as website.

My only issue is including the cost of printing books, because that's outdated thanks to POD and so many people going digital.

·
Registered
997 Posts
$2,300: Website for a book, including PayPal link - amount paid by Rick Spier, author of The Legend of Shane the Piper: A Novel Memoir.
Bluehost. Wordpress install. $3.95/mo for new folks.

I did pay a pro web designer for a revamp of the site, but I was still way, way below this figure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SBJones said:
I wonder how much Julia Pandl spent to be the example of that article? I think the examples given are a bit extreme. $3.50 a page for editing. $1,600 for a cover. $8,800 for a vanity press run. Buying full price ISBN numbers one at a time and all that money on web design.

I can look over my own ledger and see exactly how much money it's cost me so far and it's a lot. They should be mentioning things that add up like office supplies. I don't know about you but I went through nine ink cartridges for my printer at $24.99 a pop for my trilogy. However not much of what I have spent could have been cut.
Whatever she spent to be featured in this article, it got me to look at her Amazon page and check out her stats. Yesterday I had no clue who she was, but today she certainly has my attention.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
The cost of my first three e-books were also zero. Swapped some favours for the cover of one. Another had been published in paperback so it was just a case of uploading, and the third cover was done by someone offering them for free (I later paid to have a new cover done). Have never paid for any marketing  :).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Caitie Quinn said:
See, she got my attention also, but in a, "Who is that stupid to spend money on some of that stuff and to spend *that much* money on other stuff??" *no click thru*
:D
You didn't pick up a copy her book after reading this article? ;)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts