Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to how everyone here developed their passion for reading.

I grew up without a television at home until I was 13 or so.  Books were my source of entertainment and escape.  So much so, in fact, that I was punished as a child from reading much like some parents take away TV/XBox/PS3 time.  I know it sounds funny, who would punish a child by taking away a book!  But reading really was such a source of pleasure for me, it was quite an effective punishment!  I found ways around it, though.  I would sneak a book into the waistband of my clothes when I went to the bathroom.  And I would store books in my locker so I could read in class.  Then there was the day I went behind the librarian's counter at my school's library (yes, I spent my free time in the library) to check out my own book, and there was a big note on my card to see Mrs. Jackson...who very gently told me that my mother had called her, and I was not to check out any more books until she called again to say I had served my punishment!

Luckily, I have found a partner in life that loves to read almost as much as I do, and I have expanded my horizons by reading books that he has suggested.  It doesn't work the other way, though...he's reading tastes are very much carved in stone!

G

·
Have you been reading my life........lol.

Except I was hooked on reading apparently from birth. I had a young mother, but she did that right. Enrolled me in the Dr. Seuss Book Club for my 5th birthday. The ABC Book is still one of my favorites and I can recite the text from memory. (Big A, Little a, What begins with A? Aunt Annie's Alligator A a A....)

In the 2nd grade, my teacher introduced us to Laura Ingalls Wilder. She (Laura) has been one of my best friends since.

I even failed Algebra the first time I took it, because reading was more interesting than boring math.

I also have a Life Partner who loves reading as much as I do. He introduced me to Douglas Adams. I loved them both since. We do share most of the same taste in reading material (Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, and Neil Gaiman), but he still can not understand my need to read "Uterus" books periodically (Amy Tan, Jane Austin, or the Green Gables books).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LuckyRainbow said:
I also have a Life Partner who loves reading as much as I do. He introduced me to Douglas Adams. I loved them both since. We do share most of the same taste in reading material (Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, and Neil Gaiman), but he still can not understand my need to read "Uterus" books periodically (Amy Tan, Jane Austin, or the Green Gables books).
"Uterus" books...I love that!!!

I have my Laura Ingalls Wilder and Anne of Green Gables series sitting on my shelf, waiting for my little girl to be ready for me to introduce her. She's only 7 months now, so it's going to be a few years!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Both of my parents were readers. I can remember so many evenings when we'd all be sitting in the living room -- me, my mom, my dad, and my sister -- reading, rather than watching TV. My sister was a horse fanatic, so she read The Black Stallion books, Hobby Horse Hill, Flicka, etc. My mom liked family sagas, and my dad read non-fiction, mostly about WWII. Me? I read just about everything.

I am eternally grateful to my late parents for introducing me to the pleasures of reading, for taking me to the library, and for encouraging me to read anything and everything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rabbit hole actually goes deeper...

I have an Aunt that works for the public library in her parish.  She rotated one Saturday a month on her schedule.  She would pick me up on the appropriate Friday nights so that I could go to work with on her Saturday mornings.  I would re-shelve books, stamp the "Property of..." logo and insert the pocket with the card in the newly acquired books, and spend hours curled up in a chair with one book or another.  Years later she is obtaining her MLIS degree.  Her final semester of graduate school is my first semester for the same degree, and we have a class together!

I have since graduated, but unfortunately there are no job openings in the public library system in my general vicinity at this time.  I may or may not get the chance to actually work in a library; regardless I thoroughly enjoyed taking classes filled with people of all ages and backgrounds that all shared a deep love of reading.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have this memory of not being able to read at all, then, at some point in the first grade it just clicked. I started reading all of the books I could get my hands on. I was particularly fond of the Sunday comics, and read those every week in the Chicago Sun-Times. In second grade, I remember reading the small stack of required books before anyone else, and I got to pick a prize... I chose the book Runaway Ralph, about a little mouse and his motorcycle. I have had a library card as long as I can remember.

I see Runaway Ralph is available for the Kindle....

http://www.amazon.com/Runaway-Ralph/dp/B00188V7Z0/ref=ed_oe_k

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
but he still can not understand my need to read "Uterus" books periodically (Amy Tan, Jane Austin, or the Green Gables books).
LMAO..."uterus" books!

My love of reading came as an escape from a miserable childhood. I was allowed to escape even if it was only for a couple of hours. I read mostly the series that young girls read at the time and learned many things from them, especially since I didn't have my mom living with us.

Thankfully our daughter takes after me and loves reading just as much as I do :))

BTW pidgeon...The Ralph books are our daughter's favorite.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I distinctly recall hating to learn to read. I had a book about a donkey who turns into a rock or something, and I was supposed to read it to my parents. And I couldn't read. And I hated it. Every night, my mother forced me to sit down and struggle through another couple of pages. After that book, I can't remember another incident of hating books. I do remember reading the Hobbit, and then the Lord of the Rings books. At the age of five. So I must have been three or something at the time of the donkey book.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I can't remember not being able to read, though clearly there must have been a time.  : )  My parents were readers, we always had stacks of books around the house....  We would go to the library and even as a young child, I would carry out stacks of books--maybe 20?  The librarian asked one time if I would read all of those, and my father said, "yes she will."  (Of course, some I read in school under the desk.  I really needed my Kindle then!)

Betsy

G

·
Right there with you Betsy. I remember when I was in either 5th or 6th grade and there was a read-a-thon for MS. I easily raised the most money with the fewest sponsors. Every summer our library had a reading program, I attained the highest "prize" level within a couple of weeks while others took all summer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unlike most of you, I really only discovered reading for pleasure in my late teens - early twenties.  I hated when we had to read books for school (although I remember enjoying The Hound of The Baskervilles - must go find that on feedbooks.com!).

My older sister was the avid reader in the family (her nose constantly in a book).  I was more interested in playing outside with friends than spending the summer in the house like she did.  I remember seeing her reading Gone With The Wind for the second time (she was maybe 12 or so), and saying "You're reading that AGAIN???"  I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to read a book twice!  Especially not a great big thick one like that.  (In honor of my big sis, one of the first books I downloaded onto my Kindle was Gone With The Wind - she'll be so proud of me!)

My dad used to love to read Dr. Seuss books to us.  If I close my eyes I can still hear him "Scrambled Eggs Super Dee Dooper Dee Booper ...  Special deluxe a la Peter T. Hooper".  Guess I preferred being read to!

Now I adore reading.  As I mentioned in another post, I have to read a ton for school now (nursing student), and it is SO hard to focus on that technical reading.  I must have absolute silence (or my iPod playing classical music or similar).  But give me a good book and I can read anywhere, with any amount of noise in the background.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I come from a large family, all readers btw. I remember once when I was in the 3rd grade I was reading in the pantry. I guess my mom noticed the light coming from under the door so she opened it & asked what I was doing in there. I told her it was the only place I could get some peace & quiet. She closed the door & I continued reading. We only had 1 bathroom so that wasn't an option. I wonder if that's why I have never been a bathroom reader?
Lisa

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have alway love reading, ever since I was a kid.  I think I get my love of reading from my mom.
jodi ;D

·
Registered
377 Posts
As I said in another post, I am a mystery buff.  I got started on mysteries as a boy, reading Tom Swift and Encyclopedia Brown.  From there, I moved to my dad's Perry Mason books and then to Agatha Christie.  As an adult, I have added many, many mystery (and epionage and action/adventure) authors to my list of favorites and currently own books by more than 70 authors.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I grew up without a television and learned to read very early in my life. Books were my refuge in a very difficult home situation. I was encouraged by my father who, to a large extent was self-educated since he left school when he was about 13 in order to work down the coal mines . {This was in England} Every birthday and Christmas my father bought me a book token and I spent a considerable time in the local bookstores planning my purchases!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Both of my parents loved reading, so maybe it was in my genes to love it too.  I remember going to the library in elementary school and reading Nancy Drew and lots of biographies (they must've been a series, they all had the same color covers - orange or yellow maybe?)  As I got a little older I read all kinds of stuff - lots of it off my parents' bookshelf, some of it probably inappropriate for my age.  But I just loved reading. 
I still love the mysteries - not as many biographies these days.  Both my girls are readers now too (one has a Kindle, we share an account) - the older one always loved reading, loved being read to & reading to herself when she got old enough.  The younger one didn't care much for being read to as a little one, but once she could read for herself she read a lot too.  And thankfully my husband enjoys reading too - we don't always enjoy the same things but some authors we both enjoy.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
My Mom likes to remind me that, on my 7th birthday, I wanted all my friends to come over and for us to all bring books and to READ..!!

It was my idea of fun.

I was a very exciting little boy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Harvey said:
My Mom likes to remind me that, on my 7th birthday, I wanted all my friends to come over and for us to all bring books and to READ..!!

It was my idea of fun.

I was a very exciting little boy.
So, how'd that go over w/ the other kids? My son wanted to go to Meteor Crater for his birthday.
Lisa

1 - 20 of 47 Posts