Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my husband said, "hey this looks like a good movie." So I stopped what I was doing at 7pm and watched Hachi: A Dog's Tale that was on the Hallmark Channel. It was released in 2009, but I had never heard of it. It starred Richard Gere. Being a big animal lover, it sounded interesting. The description on the channel said it was about the love of an animal and his master. Well, by gosh THAT was an understatement!!!! I'm kinda sentimental with movies sometimes, but at the end of this movie I was just consumed with a giant goose egg in my throat and tears falling down my face and being somewhat embarrassed to be boo hooing like that, I fled to the bathroom where I sobbed uncontrollably for several minutes. Returning to the den, I continued to sob for an hour going through about 5 to 6 big wads of tissue. I have NEVER cried like this in a movie. It was good, but it broke my heart to pieces and I don't think I could watch it again.

What made it even more moving is that it was a true story, just modernized to today's time. It actually happened in Japan in the 1920s to 30s.

Has anyone ever seen this movie??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've not seen it but I was thinking of adding it to our Netflix que for the kids. I think I'll skip it. Where the Red Fern Grows nearly killed them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw this movie... i never usually cry in movies, however this was the first time that i almost cried after just 20 minutes in the film.... and then until the end the same thing! But it was an unforgettable movie!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've neither seen it nor heard of it, but I've had enough sadness in the last few years that I don't need any more. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shellybean said:
I've not seen it but I was thinking of adding it to our Netflix que for the kids. I think I'll skip it. Where the Red Fern Grows nearly killed them.
I watched that movie too, I cried during it some but NOTHING like I did with Hachi. I read these reviews today just out of curiosity to see if anyone else was affected like I was. You can read for yourself. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/usercomments?start=0

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cindy416 said:
I've neither seen it nor heard of it, but I've had enough sadness in the last few years that I don't need any more. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the warning.
I love a good, sad movie, but this one just tore me up!! It WAS very good though. It was just so incredibly sad to me.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It is really sad, but I originally heard the true story which made it worse.  I rented it for my mom (who was visiting at the time) to see it last year, and she completely broke down and cried.  I don't cry in movies, but this really got me to be quiet...especially after losing a great dog.

Tris

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
One of the most touching movies I have seen in recent years is a Japanese anime:

Grave of the Fireflies.

I did not take it as anti-American nor even specifically anti-war, just pro-kids.
Made me cry.

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Before I even opened this thread I had a feeling this was the movie you were going to post about! I cried long and hard starting from when
Gere dies
... till the end and then for a good 30 minutes more after it was over! :-[

I knew it would be torture for me, yet I watched it anyway. I have cried when they killed King Kong too, in all three versions!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Another wonderful movie in a similar vein (dog's devotion to owner) - "My Dog Skip" - again, keep tissues nearby.  Lovely coming of age story that tears me up at the end.  

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I've never seen this movie Rhonda but thanks for the warning. Now I know not to watch it. I can't even take stuff like Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Yearling. It seems like for awhile there they went through a spell of making children's movies about learning to accept the loss of a pet.  :'(

·
Registered
156 Posts
along the same lines, "Eight Below" i kept trying to turn it off through my tears, but for some reason i was compelled to watch til the end..

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I had a similar experience w/ the book Marley and Me.  I bought it and thought it would be a good book to read aloud w/ DH.  I was also [email protected] the time, so I ended up sobbing so bad I couldn't finish reading and DH had to take over.  He had to quit b/c he was sobbing so bad.  We love the movie, but we both tend to tear up towards the end.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I saw Hachi about a year ago and wasn't expecting what it turned out to be.  I was stunned.  I cried and cried.  A good story but much too sad.  If I had it to do over I would not watch it.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
OMG!  I cannot believe you brought up this movie.  My parents were just telling me about it a few weeks ago.  Both of them said the same thing - it was the saddest movie they had ever seen!  Even my dad was balling.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Alle Meine Entchen said:
I had a similar experience w/ the book Marley and Me. I bought it and thought it would be a good book to read aloud w/ DH. I was also [email protected] the time, so I ended up sobbing so bad I couldn't finish reading and DH had to take over. He had to quit b/c he was sobbing so bad. We love the movie, but we both tend to tear up towards the end.
My late sister bought Marley and Me for me because she knew that I loved labs. Unfortunately, she was fighting a losing battle with cancer while I was trying to read the book. I didn't get it finished before she passed away, and couldn't bring myself to finish it, partly because I knew it was going to be sad and partly because I was sad that she wasn't around any longer. There's no way I could watch the movie.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
CatherineIsom said:
along the same lines, "Eight Below" i kept trying to turn it off through my tears, but for some reason i was compelled to watch til the end..
Obviously as a Cat, I could care less about dogs !!......HOWEVER "Eight Below" got me....actually a great movie which I recommend

·
Registered
701 Posts
The saddest movie I ever saw was Disney's "Eight Below".  The true story about the Siberian Huskies getting stranded.  Any type of animal unpleasantness kills me.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I HATE sad animal movies, so thanks for the warning.  I don't much click on the Hallmark channel though so I might be safe. 

When I think about the saddest movie I've ever seen I immediately think of Million Dollar Baby.  Neither my husband or I will never watch that movie again!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts