Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love a good short book!  They are wonderful for those of us with limited time and/or attention spans.  So, what are some good short stories or novels you have read lately?  I'll start:

1) Animal Farm - George Orwell:  OMG!  I read this in the 6th grade and just reread it this week.  Absolutely awesome, profound, and prophetic.  I highly recommend re-reading this as an adult.  I especially enjoyed the insertion of "SugarCandy Mountain."

2)  Love me, Still - Maya Banks:  This isn't my usual "cup of tea" as I guess it would be classified as a romance.  However, I really connected with the main character and it was very emotionally touching.  Great little story!

3)  Anthem - Ayn Rand:  Great short "dystopian" novel about the scary future world of a "collectivist" society.  Very thought provoking and meaningful without being overly political. 

4) 2BR02B - Kurt Vonnegut:  What can you say?  It's Vonnegut!  My first intro to this very interesting author.  A little morbid and not too sci-fi so I loved this story.  It's set is in a not-so-the-future world of an overpopulated society.  BTW, the zero is pronounced "naught". 

5) UR - Stephen King:  Not King's best work by a long shot but it was entertaining enough just because it was neat that it was about a Kindle. 

6) The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka: It was OK, I just didn't really enjoy it all that much but yeah... The guy turns into a bug. What else can you say?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like to read short fiction for several reasons...

1) Just before bed, I can get in and out of the story without staying up too late. 
2) It serves as a good introduction to new authors.
3) Experiencing a talented author setting up a world view in a short span of words can be very enjoyable.

I try to read most of the Fantasy and SF anthologies each year - especially Year's Best SF by David Hartwell and Years's Best Science Fiction by Gardner Dozois.  I have to mention two stories by Alastair Reynolds from Best SF 23 and Best SF 24.

Zima Blue - A rumination on the nature of Artificial Intelligence about a famous robotic artist that attempts to recapture its' past.

Nightingale - Atmospheric adventure tale involving a mission aboard an AI controlled hospital ship where things have gone extremely wrong.  Reynolds creates a palpable sense of impending horror in this work.

Also from Dogs of War (a military SF anthology edited by David Drake) - Straw by Gene Wolfe - a terrific, succinct story about mercenaries that has that sense of 'otherness' that informs so much of Wolfe's work.

- Walter.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
6) The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka: It was OK, I just didn't really enjoy it all that much but yeah... The guy turns into a bug. What else can you say?
If you're a college student, turns out you can take three pages to say he turns into a bug. (My brother owns an off-campus bookstore, the girls who work for him are all in college, one of them asked me to review her essay. But I digress.)

·
Registered
149 Posts
One of my favorite short stories is:

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Recently read short stories:

Henry Kuttner's Robots Have No Tails, a volume of 5 or 6 stories about a scientist names Gallegher who can't invent anything unless he is drunk, then he can't remember what the thing he invented does when he sobers up. Two favorites from the volume are The Proud Robot, a story of Gallegher sobering up only to find he has built a narcissistic robot who won't do as he's told. Gallegher can't remember why he built the thing. The other favorite is the time when Gallegher regains consciousness and finds that rabbits from Mars have appeared with plans to take over Earth (they keep going around the house loudly proclaiming "The world will be ours!", and asking for milk, IIRC).

I've also been re-reading some Sherlock Holmes stories, always a good read.

Also on the list would have to be some of James Schmidt's Hub stories about Trigger Argee and Telzy Amberdon.

Mike

B

·
0 Posts
OK, back to the original topic: short novels. Here are some of my faves:
Animal Farm
Logan's Run
Lord of the Flies
The Hitchhiker's Guide books
Carrie

The Demolished Man
The Stars my Destination
(both by the great Alfred Bester)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just finished Arabian Nights... not a short book but the stories within it are short :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a short attention span so I end up reading more than one thing at once. Plus I surf the internet while I'm doing it. I really need some drugs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts