Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best selling Barracuda is now .99 cents in these economically challenged times.

Recovering from a gunshot wound he'd received while in the line of duty, NYPD Detective Mick O'Shaughnessy is in need of some relaxing time away from the big city. A vacation in the peaceful, scenic Bikini Atoll, a scuba diver's paradise, could be the panacea to heal his wounded leg as well as his shattered nerves. Then again, maybe it isn't. The Majestic Resort Hotel, unfortunately, does not turn out to be the bastion of tranquility Mick had hoped to enjoy. Immediately upon arrival, Mick inadvertently finds himself dropped in the middle of an international money laundering operation, a territorial feud between the island natives and the resort developers, and an impending mob war between the Russian Mafia and the Japanese Yakuza. If that weren't nerve-wracking enough, the many years of nuclear testing that had taken place in Bikini Atoll after World War II have had an unusual effect on the sea life in the lagoon-and the freakishly large mutant barracuda who dwells there perceives all scuba-diving tourists as lunch meat.

Barracuda is a fast-paced story in which international intrigue, environmental catastrophe, and the sense of cultural pride collide. Even on vacation, Mick O'Shaughnessy is a detective at heart, and he refuses to fly away from the chaos in this island paradise until all questions are answered and feelings of safety and justice take over the atoll.

The historical significance of the location and the underwater depictions in Barracuda are well researched, with the story incorporating the history of Bikini Atoll in the years after World War II, authentic scuba-diving knowledge, and proper police procedure into its plot, characters, and scenic detail. Barracuda will be enjoyed by readers who appreciate the aquatic action of Jaws, the mob intrigue of The Godfather, and the police procedural sense of The Onion Field.

There are 35 reviews posted on Amazon.com located here:

http://www.amazon.com/Barracuda/dp/B0013NS3FW/ref=ed_oe_o

Magazine articles and reviews can be found here:

http://www.xray-mag.com/en/content/barracuda

http://www.book-club-queen.com/barracuda.html

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3272110.Barracuda

http://www.sternereditorial.com/BookLog.html

http://www.meetup.com/sisdny/calendar/9276345/

http://chicgalleria.com/men/authors/after-retiring-from-the-nypd.php

For some reason I am unable to attach the terrifying book cover image to this post :-(

BARRACUDA truly is the catch of the day if you enjoyed Jaws or Jurrassic Park.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks like a good read, so I've bought it, and it's on my "Soon to read" list! I've added the image link to Amazon!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I bought it also. Though it is not my usual type of read, it sounds interesting and creative!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I bought it too. My only fear is that once I read it I may have to give up scuba diving! ;D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Kindle-ers,
Thanks for the warm reception here, and especially thanks for the purchases of Barracuda.  You scuba enthusiasts WILL go back into the water, although you will look over your shoulders more.  :)

Mike Monahan
author of
Barracuda

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey You Kindle-ers are great. The feedback to my initial post was enormous as were the sales. What was the biggest influence on making a purchase. 

The subject matter
The book cover
The reviews
The websites

Just a bit of writers curiousity here.  :)

Thanks,
Mike Monahan

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The reviews
The subject matter
The price

And the fact that you've posted here, kind of like putting a face to a name. 

I plan on reading your book after I finish the last two of Boyd Morrison's books, which I bought for the same reasons as I bought your book.  I'm hoping to enjoy your offering as much as I've enjoyed Mr. Morrison's so far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Forster,
Thanks for the reply.  I puposedly left the price out of the question knowing it was a major attraction.  :) I know you will enjoy Barracuda and thank you for having faith in me.

Mike Monahan

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Folks...and Mike...

We have a rule here at KindleBoards that an author can start one thread per book. We ask that you confine your promotion for that book to the thread. Readers are welcome to post, add to the discussion, whatever.

With that in mind, I have merged your two Barracuda threads together. Just so you know.

Thanks,

Leslie
Global Mod

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Leslie,
Sorry for that. I guess I can write, but not read the rules. :0(

Mike Monahan

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mike Monahan said:
Hi Forster,
Thanks for the reply. I puposedly left the price out of the question knowing it was a major attraction. :) I know you will enjoy Barracuda and thank you for having faith in me.

Mike Monahan
Mike, the low price, especially for new authors, combined with a little interaction with potential buyers is a heck of a way to build up a fan base. If the book is good, the next one will be so much easier to sell and you probably won't have to do it at 99 cents either. ;)

Good luck with your book sales and I am looking forward to reading Barracuda.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I actually bought the book at least a couple of weeks ago when it was posted in our Bargains thread, but alas, haven't yet gotten to reading it (so many books, so little time! ;)).  But I'd say my purchase was based on subject matter/description on your website (sounded interesting), and reviews on Amazon, with price making it a no-brainer to be worth trying an unknown-to-me author.

One word of advice, though, is you should really try and get a better book description on Amazon.  It really doesn't say much and honestly, I'm surprised you have so many reviews even from the paperback version with that little of a description.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Steph,
Thanks for the honesty and the purchase. You have a valid point about my short book description on Amazon.  I was told that brief is best, but your comment has me re-thinking this. I can't wait to hear your review of Barracuda.

Thanks,
Mike Monahan

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
There's brief and there's brief.  Steph is right. . . .you don't want something that goes on for pages, but I want at least a paragraph or two to give me an idea of whether I might like it or not. . . if there's only one sentence, I'll probably pass, unless it's a Really Good Sentence!  :D

Ann

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Yup.  Basically, adding the first two paragraphs of the description you have in your first post here, to the description on Amazon (or replacing it), would likely be good enough, I think. :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I like having the authors here at KindleBoards, it gives us insight into the other side of the reading experience. But I dislike thread titles that remind me of the way I feel when a used car dealer's ad comes on the radio.

Z

·
0 Posts
Wow, 35 reviews!!!! That is fantastic!!!

I was just over at goodreads and was reading good things about you there as well.

I think I've added one more title to my TBR pile!!!!

Sounds like a fun read!!!!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts