Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is a mystery for ya'll..

The Stand by Stephen King:

There WAS a kindle version listed but now its gone. Formatting issues? Maybe BUT my copy is still on my K1 AND its still listed on my accounts page!! If it was pulled by the publisher, or King himself why is it still on my kindle?

It was the first kindle book I bought last november and of course I had used whispernet since then.

The book was only 2.43 so could it been a bootleg? It has a cover, toc etc intact and if it was bootleg why would it still be on my kindle?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I have a half-dozen books on my Kindle that were pulled from Amazon for whatever reason. The four Nero Wolfe books I bought back in July 2008 were removed from Amazon last August, and a question sent to the ebook version publisher was replied to with the statement I should write to Harcourt (I think) about ebook versions. I assume there was a copyright problem.

The books remain in my Amazon library, and I just downloaded them to my Kindle 2 within the last week or so, and they display just fine. But you can no longer purchase them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have purchased several books from Amazon that are no longer listed for sale, including The Stand.  I wonder what this means for us in terms of our being able to re-download them.... or being able to download them to my husband's Kindle when he gets one since we'll be on the same account.  I'm wondering if it's safe to remove books from my Kindle as I read them with the assurance that I can always re-download them whenever I want.  Hopefully, my copy will always be in my Amazon library even if it doesn't appear that Amazon has it available.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
jmiked said:
I have a half-dozen books on my Kindle that were pulled from Amazon for whatever reason. The four Nero Wolfe books I bought back in July 2008 were removed from Amazon last August, and a question sent to the ebook version publisher was replied to with the statement I should write to Harcourt (I think) about ebook versions. I assume there was a copyright problem.
Mike
You know how jealous I am that you got those books. Go ahead, rub it in, tell me which four you got.

I also purchased The Source for $2.50, which still shows in my content manager after it was pulled from Amazon's list. All of the drawings of the artifacts are missing, so I assumed that's why it was pulled for later reissue. I noticed that Caravans was Kindlized in January, so there's hope all of Michener's will be soon.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think I might cry!!  :(  As a recent K1 purchaser, I bought books I hadn't read yet. My first purchases were the "Temeraire" series, as I love dragons, (these are the "His Majesty's Dragon" books by Naomi Novik) and the only Stephen King books I hadn't read yet, The Dark Tower series. I had planned to purchase The Stand in the near future, as it's one of my favorites! But...it's gone!!! Do they ever come back in a Kindle version once they are pulled??

Susie

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hopped on over to the Stephen King board to see if I can find out, the moderator will find out and let us know.  Good question, I hope it is available again, that was a book I wanted to download.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rats! I was actually planning on picking this one up soon, but I wasn't in a hurry since I've already read it years ago in DTV.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing and it'll be back up for purchase sometime...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
jmiked said:
Some Buried Caesar
The Second Confession
Three at Wolfe's Door
And Four to Go

;D ;D ;D ;D

Mike
I just love torturing myself. Yesterday, I gave myself a paper cut and poured lemon juice on it. ;) Maybe someday, hopefully in my lifetime, they will all be Kindleized.

The only one of those I don't have in DTV is The Second Confession.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That's strange? I haven't seen that before but apparently some of you guys have noticed that happen before.  ???

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thank goodness it was one of my knee-jerk purchases!  There are some books that I know I have and will read and re-read many times over the years. 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Here's something weird. Someone had mentioned being able to buy e-books from the author's website that weren't available through Amazon. I did a search for Michener which brought me to Random House and Chesapeake. I decided to click "buy now" to see if it was available in mobi. A window popped up directing me to either Amazon or Sony. I clicked on Amazon, only to be taken to a page that has nothing to do with Michener's book.

This needs further investigating.

ETA: The same thing happens with The Stand. I found it as an e-book on the Random House site. When I clicked e-book and Amazon, it took me to a page of other books with "stand" in their titles.

It might have something to do with the fact that Random House is listing it at $50.

ETA: One more search, this time on a book I know is still listed on Amazon. From Random House, I clicked buy now and Amazon, and was brought to the correct page. Here's the really interesting part. Random House lists the book at $14.95 and Amazon lists it at $8.00.

It's beginning to look like pricing is playing a very large part in whether or not Amazon will sell the book.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Random House lists the book at $14.95 and Amazon lists it at $8.00.

It's beginning to look like pricing is playing a very large part in whether or not Amazon will sell the book.
That also suggests that the publishers are not the ones that set book prices or make them fluctuate (assuming the Random House list price is for an e-book).

·
Registered
501 Posts
DAMN! "The Stand" was one of the books I downloaded a sample of, and intended to begin reading on an upcoming vacation! Not available on Amazon, I opened my "sample," and upon clicking "Buy," it brings me to a page stating "Not Yet Available."

Very disappointing. This was a book I was MOST looking forward to reading next month.......

Meanwhile, Amazon has bumped the number of available Kindle books advertised to "245,000." Up another 5,000 - but how many books are dropped?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Any word as to WHY this would be removed from the Kindle Store? The "sample" I have is listed as "The Stand - The Complete  & Uncut Edition."

Can't believe that Random House sells the ebook version on their website for $50!!

Hope the Kindle Store doesn't become like "Walt Disney DVD Vaults" - if you miss downloading it when it's available "for a limited time," ya lose.....

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
DAMN! "The Stand" was one of the books I downloaded a sample of, and intended to begin reading on an upcoming vacation! Not available on Amazon, I opened my "sample," and upon clicking "Buy," it brings me to a page stating "Not Yet Available."
You'd be a perfect one to contact Customer Service and ask what happened. I actually bought it, so for me to ask why it isn't there anymore would be kind of silly.... Would love it if you would contact them and let us know what they say!

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
Can't believe that Random House sells the ebook version on their website for $50!!
Actually, Random House has it listed, but you can't buy it directly from them. A window pops up directing you to either Amazon or Sony. If you go to the Sony site, it is listed at $35.00.

Random House also lists the hardback for $50.00. Something is definitely wrong, here.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts