Kindle Forum banner

441 - 460 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Is it normal for the Hardcover and Paperback to be released on the same day?  Since I already have the indy release of the Kindle edition, I probably won't re-buy, but I may pick up a hardcover so I have a 1st edition piece of history!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
geko29 said:
Is it normal for the Hardcover and Paperback to be released on the same day? Since I already have the indy release of the Kindle edition, I probably won't re-buy, but I may pick up a hardcover so I have a 1st edition piece of history!
I have no idea why Amazon lists a paperback release. The Ark won't be in paperback until next year. I've asked my publisher to remove it to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Boyd, I am incredibly happy for you or any author who gets a nice deal, but I can't help noticing from your first thread, where your books are 99 cents, and now with a major publisher, they are $11.99. Is this accompanying editing and other factors worth the 1,200 percent markup? I am not judging your content in any way, just echoing a philosophical question I've heard over and over: "How much value does a publisher add?" I have no doubt to you they add the incredible value of getting you in bookstores, but how much better are they making the ebook?

Thanks and good luck. I can't wait to hear all the "Kindle author makes good" stories the press will love, and the resultant "rekindled" interest in e-reading. And I look forward to reading your book, though I will probably wait until the rush dies down. I also appreciate your continued interest and interaction with the emerging indie field. Well done.

Scott

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
scottnicholson said:
Boyd, I am incredibly happy for you or any author who gets a nice deal, but I can't help noticing from your first thread, where your books are 99 cents, and now with a major publisher, they are $11.99. Is this accompanying editing and other factors worth the 1,200 percent markup? I am not judging your content in any way, just echoing a philosophical question I've heard over and over: "How much value does a publisher add?" I have no doubt to you they add the incredible value of getting you in bookstores, but how much better are they making the ebook?

Scott
This is a tough question, as everyone in the industry is finding out. What is the true value of an ebook? Is The Ark better now than it was last year, when I listed it for $1.99? I would say yes, but that's for each reader to decide. The cover is definitely better, although it's based on my design from last year. It's copyedited much better, as all the readers who helped me find typos in last year's version will attest. As with any economics question, we could turn it around and ask, was it priced too low at $1.99? Maybe not, based on the fact that I was an unknown author with no marketing or advertising support. If I'd had priced it higher, very few people would have taken a chance to try it out. There are a lot of factors that go into this equation, which makes my head hurt. That's why I was glad to get out of the publishing business and back to the writing business. My goal has always been to get my books in the hands of readers, in whatever format I could, and I felt that going with a publishing company was the best way to do that.

Regarding the price of a novel, whether it's ebook or pbook, every person has to decide how much something is worth to them (is it worth paying $200 for a ticket to see a U2 concert from the nosebleed section? for some people, yes; for others, no). In the end, I suppose it just comes to how much you value the time you spend being entertained by whatever medium it is, whether it's a book, song, movie, or video game.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thanks, Boyd--makes sense. This is great news for e-books and writers, however it goes. I totally agree you did the right thing. It's still 5 to 10 years from the tipping point, and even then, I expect traditional publishers to still dominate due to the weight of their backlists.

Scott

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Boyd:

I pre-ordered and mine came overnight in Cyberspace. I'll download it this afternoon with my NY Times. And I must say, all other reading shall be put aside as you will not even make the TBR list, so long I have waited for this - having missed the original run. You give every Indie hope, having bubbled to the top and arrived. I'm so proud of you.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
Edward C. Patterson said:
Boyd:

I pre-ordered and mine came overnight in Cyberspace. I'll download it this afternoon with my NY Times. And I must say, all other reading shall be put aside as you will not even make the TBR list, so long I have waited for this - having missed the original run. You give every Indie hope, having bubbled to the top and arrived. I'm so proud of you.

Edward C. Patterson
Thanks, Ed! That's so nice of you to say. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, Gertie and Geoff!

·
Registered
534 Posts
boydm said:
Today The Ark is available on the Kindle! Again! Thanks to all who took a chance on me and read my books last year.

One more cool thing: The Ark is the featured ad on the online book section of the NY Times!

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/index.html
Woo-hoo!

I'm gonna try make it to one of your last book signings...I'm so excited to get The Ark in DTB form!!!

(Great trailer!)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
boydm said:
Today The Ark is available on the Kindle! Again! Thanks to all who took a chance on me and read my books last year.

One more cool thing: The Ark is the featured ad on the online book section of the NY Times!

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/index.html
I love the placement of this ad. Congratulations!

I missed it first time around too, when it was a super-bargain. With all due respect to the author, I think the higher current price is for the marketing and profits for publisher. But I do hope that it sells bunches and makes big bucks for the author.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm so glad this thread came back up since I was dreading the search for it.  ;D While it's not the kindle version since for some titles the Kindle for PC and I don't see eye to eye, I wanted to say what a wonderful and thrilling book the Ark is. I actually bought it via Doubleday Mystery Guild book club (which I thought was so cool) and am about halfway through it. Needless to say it will go to Mom's next eye appointment with me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
Sierra, how cool! I had no idea it was being offered by a book club. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Thanks, Ed! And thanks to Ann for posting that interview.

The book tour is going great. I'm in Houston now, with a signing at Murder By The Book tonight. Then I head to Phoenix for a signing at Poisoned Pen on Wednesday night with Christopher Farnsworth, author of Blood Oath (his book is not on Kindle, unfortunately). I've been to LA and Denver already, and I'll be doing another signing at Seattle Mystery Bookshop on June 4. In the meantime, I'm working on Tyler Locke 2, and I'll soon be copyediting Rogue Wave (nee The Palmyra Impact; I hope to have a cover to share soon). I'm having a blast!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Any chance of getting to Chicago Boyd?  I've been holding back order from VJ hoping to see you in person.
jp

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
441 - 460 of 633 Posts