Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went permafree on the Pattern Ship which resulted in 5,000 downloads and ongoing. It's probably not a massive amount by the standards of many writers on here, but most of us have seen the way it affects our subsequent sales in series. I thought I would show this graph to continue the discussion on going permafree.

This is the result of sales revenue on the sequel (before and after).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJAnderson said:
Tobias can I ask what were/are your Sci-Fi influences?
I really had to think hard about that and what you meant, the only interpretation I can give to it this.
I don't read an author and say I like his books because, or he influenced me through xyz. Or this book means something specific. I have read SF since before I was a teenager and the one thing that I enjoy and remember most above everything else is the ability of the writer to tell a story. I always remember the story and how much I was captivated by it rather than the author, or the style and subject. After 40 years of reading I would have to say there is a massive amount of stories remembered in my head and this influences my writing today. First the story, then nothing. To me the story is everything.

·
Registered
515 Posts
TobiasRoote said:
I really had to think hard about that and what you meant, the only interpretation I can give to it this.
I don't read an author and say I like his books because, or he influenced me through xyz. Or this book means something specific. I have read SF since before I was a teenager and the one thing that I enjoy and remember most above everything else is the ability of the writer to tell a story. I always remember the story and how much I was captivated by it rather than the author, or the style and subject. After 40 years of reading I would have to say there is a massive amount of stories remembered in my head and this influences my writing today. First the story, then nothing. To me the story is everything.
Thanks!

I meant like favorite Sci-Fi movies, TV-shows etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CJAnderson said:
Thanks!

I meant like favorite Sci-Fi movies, TV-shows etc.
This question cropped up the other day - someone mentioned Babylon 5. I have never seen it, I used to watch Star Trek, Star Wars etc., but they don't impact on me much. I don't even have a TV and occasionally get a movie on my laptop. Otherwise nada. However, books... well! I go through hundred and hundreds of them in a year. :)

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
For me:

David Weber's Honour Harrington.
John Ringo's Troy Rising
John Ringo's Empire of Man
David Weber's Armageddon's Inheritance
Frank Herbert's Dune books
S.M.Stirling's Raj Whitehall series

Star Wars (first three films, and all the Han Solo paperbacks)
Dune
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica (even the old series, but especially the new)
Star Trek (original series and most of the films)
Firefly

Thing is, I don't read only my own genres. But I do find myself gravitating to the same writers over and over. I really like J.D Robb's in death. I have them all in paper and audio. I love iLLona Andrew's Kate Daniels series only in audio. I have Robert Jordan WOT in audio and hardback etc. I like Kim Harrison's books (about Racheal Morgan)

Loads of stuff. It all get's turned into a smoothie in my head, until new stuff comes out :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
That graph is very telling. I'm really looking forward to when I have all books in my series out (the plan is 4), so I can make the first one permafree.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
TobiasRoote said:
I recently went permafree on the Pattern Ship which resulted in 5,000 downloads and ongoing. It's probably not a massive amount by the standards of many writers on here, but most of us have seen the way it affects our subsequent sales in series. I thought I would show this graph to continue the discussion on going permafree.

This is the result of sales revenue on the sequel (before and after).

I love graphs. My oldest permafree is slowing now, and it takes more promos each time to get it back up. It used to get 100s a day, now its like 40 a day. Maybe a redo on the blurb and keywords is needed. I wouldn't be full time without it and the other book1s in my backlist. Free gave me FREEdom.

·
Registered
13,312 Posts
Mark E. Cooper said:
I love graphs. My oldest permafree is slowing now, and it takes more promos each time to get it back up. It used to get 100s a day, now its like 40 a day. Maybe a redo on the blurb and keywords is needed. I wouldn't be full time without it and the other book1s in my backlist. Free gave me FREEdom.
Here is a thought: put it temporarily back to paid. Leave it for a bit and stop worrying about it. Write and promote other books. Then make it free again.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
Here is a thought: put it temporarily back to paid. Leave it for a bit and stop worrying about it. Write and promote other books. Then make it free again.
This, this, this. It works really well for me on Google Play especially. I've also found that on B&N and Apple my sales, once the book is back to paid, are better than they were prior to free. That's happened on two books now, under two separate pen names.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The only thing I would say is that I think it matters what measurement those lines are going across. At it's smallest, the Amazon graph has lines of intervals of 2. Other times, it's intervals of 50. If my graph was showing that with intervals of 2 (And I am NOT saying that's what yours is Tobias) I would probably make the conclusion that both books being paid could split those sales. If intervals of 10 or more, then probably not.

I am happy that permafree is working out for you. I remember when you were nervous. :) Congratulations.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tobias, you also recently changed the cover for your third book if I remember correctly. From a more AI looking woman to a spaceship, right? Did that impact your sales at all? I'd be curious to hear how the cover change and the move to perma-free compared in sales influence for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Indigo W said:
Tobias, you also recently changed the cover for your third book if I remember correctly. From a more AI looking woman to a spaceship, right? Did that impact your sales at all? I'd be curious to hear how the cover change and the move to perma-free compared in sales influence for you.
This is a bit of a problem for me. I changed the cover, I changed the title, I changed the blurb, I changed the keywords and changed the genres, I also removed the opening prologue, changed the wording slightly from Emporium to Empirum and changed the price. The only thing I CANNOT change is the length (480 pages). I did all of these at different stages to evaluate the difference in performance. Nothing has changed in terms of sales 4-7 sales a day (not even the permafree). I'm considering splitting the book into part one and part two to make it more manageable.

Elizabeth Ann West said:
The only thing I would say is that I think it matters what measurement those lines are going across. At it's smallest, the Amazon graph has lines of intervals of 2.

I am happy that permafree is working out for you. I remember when you were nervous. :) Congratulations.
It's not Amazon chart and they are not high numbers, but the effect is definitely positive. Yes, not so nervous now. :) Thanks

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
I've tried pulsing and simply turning it paid etc. Sales of the series dry up without its visibility.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1) The graph is great. Thanks for sharing it.

2) Trying free runs instead of permafree works a few times. It works best if you can get to Top 100 and stay there a few weeks (Bookbub, or stack ENT with other sites).

However, permafree wins in the long term.

3) Very interesting list - love nearly all of those books. Also love Firefly.

David Weber's Honour Harrington.
John Ringo's Troy Rising
John Ringo's Empire of Man
David Weber's Armageddon's Inheritance
Frank Herbert's Dune books
S.M.Stirling's Raj Whitehall series

I once moved into an apartment to find the previous occupant had left behind 20 or so SciFi hardcovers including a lot of David Weber and John Ringo. What a treat.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I write "legal thrillers." However, I don't read legal thrillers. I'm reading Steve Konkoly's Perseid Collapse and loving it, I plan to read Tobias Roote in the next few weeks (yes, I have a queue), and I'm reading some David Baldacci and some Russell Blake. Like Tobias said, it's all about the story for me. I've also read Rosalind James and Holly Ward. There are some great storytellers on these threads and for me I like stories, not genres.

Regarding the chart: wonderful stuff. This is very convincing evidence. I have 3 books coming off select in two weeks.  Hmmm.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for sharing this data, Tobias! Great illustration of the halo effect (that's what insufferable marketing nutcases like me call it).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts