Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the competition is formidable. It's a competitive market now, and book giants like Barnes and Noble will not stay behind, so they'll find any source to get in the race with, and, now, it appears that B&N will join forces with Plastic Logic's e-reader. I can't lie, but Plastic Logic's e-reader looks amazing! (I don't do touchscreen, though.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v226DYqlbHQ&feature=related

·
Registered
501 Posts
ElLector said:
I think the competition is formidable. It's a competitive market now, and book giants like Barnes and Noble will not stay behind, so they'll find any source to get in the race with, and, now, it appears that B&N will join forces with Plastic Logic's e-reader. I can't lie, but Plastic Logic's e-reader looks amazing! (I don't do touchscreen, though.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v226DYqlbHQ&feature=related
That looks pretty impressive! Touch screen is nice, too! I hadn't even thought of using a larger eReader for sheet music - great idea!

Yes, the future will be competitive - Bezos & Co. better get these things selling WORLD-wide, or risk getting left in the dust by Sony or Plastic Logic.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
As for selling the Kindle world wide, my understanding is that the sticking points are negotiating with foreign mobile carriers and international copyright issues. From what I've read, Amazon has been working very hard on this - it had been rumored that something would be announced at this week's press conference, and I'm disappointed that there's still no word. But I'm confident that it will happen eventually, at least in Canada and the UK.

In terms of the competition within the US market, there are competing readers that have very compelling - even superior - hardware features. However, I believe that the Amazon Kindle's "killer app" is the much larger and relatively less expensive catalog of books and periodicals.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Competition should be good for ereader fans in terms of price and options and in publishers and authors (are you listening, JKR?) taking ebooks seriously.

It seemed to me that the coverage in the mainstream media of the Amazon DX was much bigger than when the K2 was announced. Plus, during the press confernece, I was listening to a radio show about the future of newspapers and Kindle was mentioned at least three times.

Soon, it won't be such a niche market....

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
re: music displays: they already have them

That one is realtively modestly priced in the $700 range. This one

is closer to $3600. But if you're a professional musician, your instrument is going to cost that, or more, and it could be an excellent purchase. . . . .

You can get foot pedals so you can 'turn the page' without taking your hand off your instrument. These are both still conventional displays and somewhat bulky. But, hey, can an e-ink one be far behind. . . . . .so cool. . . . . .

Ann

·
Registered
384 Posts
Competition is VERY good for consumers.

E-book prices will come down to be more in line with the cost of production not based on how many sold in the last hour. (These are books Mr. Bezos not Stocks trading on the floor of the NYSE.)

E-book reader prices will come down as the suppliers compete for our dollar.

E-book manufacturers will listen to what their customers want and actually make an effort to comply. (Can you say folders Mr. Bezos?)

E-book publishers will adopt a standard of nomenclature so that all the books on all readers will sort consistently.

I am very honored to be a part of this amazing technology as it grows into maturity.

Hip Hip Hooray for Competition!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mycroft said:
As for selling the Kindle world wide, my understanding is that the sticking points are negotiating with foreign mobile carriers and international copyright issues. From what I've read, Amazon has been working very hard on this - it had been rumored that something would be announced at this week's press conference, and I'm disappointed that there's still no word. But I'm confident that it will happen eventually, at least in Canada and the UK.

In terms of the competition within the US market, there are competing readers that have very compelling - even superior - hardware features. However, I believe that the Amazon Kindle's "killer app" is the much larger and relatively less expensive catalog of books and periodicals.
I do not have any inside information, but I think some Publishers and some Authors are dragging their feet out of fear of the unknown. They will eventually have to come aboard. Hopefully much sooner rather than later.

Whispernet is really cool but it is not essential for a good e-book reader experience. Many Kindle owners live nowhere near a Whispernet Zone but they purchased Kindles anyway. There are many many many people outside of the USA who have found a way to own Kindles in spite of the selling policies and lack of Whispernet.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
jason10mm said:
I'm more interested in the Google e-book program. Who knew? Are they kindle compatible or at least convertible?
It works well, and is formatted well on the Sony. I've not tried to get it onto the Kindle. As far as "Kindlers unite", I've had a problem with the competition thing between kindlers and other ereaders. I don't understand it. I have owned e-readers since the rocketbook. I have bought the k1, k2 and Sony's 505 and 700. They are all great readers. They have different "personalities" but all are good. I have seen many an ereader fail. And I want to say that the more people buying e-readers, and ebooks, the more stable it will be for all consumers, no matter what brand. I don't see how people think if they are putting pirated books on their readers (instead of buying books), sending "free" magazines, blogs, newspapers, ect to their kindles via whispernet, they expect the market to be able to hold up. The whispernet transfer is "free on purchase" of the book/blog ect. because it is included in the price. How do people expect the market to stay viable if they won't support it with money. Yes, we bought the reader, that is like buying the wooden bookshelf. You still have to pay for the materials for publisher to continue to provide it. My point is, it isn't a competition between consumers, and competition between business is a good thing. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now, kick it to the side, (the left, in case your looking for it ;) ) .

·
Registered
220 Posts
jason10mm said:
I'm more interested in the Google e-book program. Who knew? Are they kindle compatible or at least convertible?
That was what I was thinking about. They look to be PDF format, which makes the DX appealing.

Now as the the Plasticlogic eReader. So far not impressed. They haven't announced memory formally that I can see, but the informal claim I saw was "hundreds of pages of newspapers, books, and documents." "Hundreds of pages" - so that one book or two. For the sake of their success it had better be more than that.

Anyone see if they have USB cable for downloading docs from your PC?

The touchscreen sounds like a long term readability disaster to me and frankly it looks like it will have problems with glare.

That said I'm actually rooting for Fictionwise, B&N and the eReader long term - if they continue to support and expand Fictionwise's multiformat offerings (DRM free.) Compatibility across platforms is best for the growth of the eBook and eReader market, IMO.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Does Google books really have that many more books? Or do they have a ton of Public Domain books as well as some of the same books you would find at Amazon?
Depends. There's a recent court case whereby they may be allowed to sell out of print books that are still technically in copyright - but how that shakes out in reality with the copyright owners and publishers is yet to be announced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.