Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Wind Farm Sunset by johnchamilton, on Flickr

I shot this last week, driving home from Iowa. It's a wind farm near the IA/MN border. The crazy colors of the sky were caused by a recent thunderstorm (no Photoshop trickery, honest.)

Right now the winds of publishing are driving sales of Isle Royale pretty nicely. Well, relatively speaking. I made about 40 sales yesterday, and another dozen today, which for me is fantastic. (I know for some people on this board, that's chump change, but for me it represents a ray of hope.) The catalyst was a combination of being on Ereader News Today and a great review by the inimitable Syria and her Syria Says indie book blog.

http://www.syriasays.com/index.html

But I also know that, like the wind, I can't control the vagaries of publishing. Sales will naturally wax or wane. I can set up my wind farm in the best place possible (write a good book, good cover, try to get reviews, etc.), but I'm really at the mercy of the elements. So for now I'm just going to enjoy the sunset. Tomorrow I'll continue writing my next book, and prepare to harvest that next round of gusty winds.

BTW, I noticed that I cracked 1,000 posts on Kindle Boards. I just want to thank everyone here for being such a supportive community of writers and readers. It's a great place to learn, laugh, and just hang out. It's you kind people who make the journey worthwhile.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Oooooooh! So cool to see a MN sunset.  My sister lived there six years and we saw some amazing skies during our visits.  Thanks for posting!

In regards to your numbers, congratulations! On the sales and the posts!  Good work, John.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, friends!  The winds are lighter now, but still steady.

For you photographers out there: To get the motion blur in the windmills' blades, I set my shutter speed to half a second.  That seemed to give just the right amount of blur.  My tripod wasn't handy, so I braced the camera on the roof of my truck, and told the kids to stop wiggling around in there!  Worked out just fine.  I love improvising.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts