Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Writer's Radio

Writer's Radio is a corroborative thought between healeyb and I where authors can submit recorded excerpts of their books (We do have individuals that maybe able to help with recording if you wish.) The site will be organized by genre with the list of books to choose from, once choosing a book the user is presented with the cover art, recorded excerpt, and a typed out version of what is recorded. If you choose not to record the excerpt(or have it recorded for you), you may still submit the cover art and typed version of the excerpt if you would like exposure. Beneath all of this will be links to purchase your book from your providers. I'm in the "development" stage of this idea.

Taking submissions to try and build a library:
Requirements for submission:
1. Cover art image included. (.gif .jpg .png .bmp)
2. Recorded excerpt. (If you choose not to record that is fine, just please include a detailed excerpt from your book.)
3. Typed version of recorded excerpt.
4. ASIN/ISBN to the book.
5. Any other information you would like posted with your excerpt.
6. Where your books are available and links of possible.
7. I would prefer if the excerpts are no longer than 2-3 paragraphs, will keep the recordings slightly shorter and won't lose listeners interest too fast.
8. Genre

Please email the requirements above with the subject line "Excerpt: Book Name" to [email protected]

Lets get a catalog going guys! This could be a great idea, and great exposure for your books!

I'll release the site to the public as soon as I get a decent amount of excerpts. Then from there, we just build on!

Kristian
http://www.amazonrankings.com/

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking submissions to try and build a library:

Requirements for submission:
1. Cover art image included. (.gif .jpg .png .bmp)
2. Recorded excerpt. (If you choose not to record that is fine, just please include a detailed excerpt from your book.)
3. Typed version of recorded excerpt.
4. ASIN/ISBN to the book.
5. Any other information you would like posted with your excerpt.
6. Where your books are available and links of possible.
7. I would prefer if the excerpts are no longer than 2-3 paragraphs, will keep the recordings slightly shorter and won't lose listeners interest too fast.
8. Genre

Please email the requirements above with the subject line "Excerpt: Book Name" to [email protected]

Lets get a catalog going guys! This could be a great idea, and great exposure for your books!

I'll release the site to the public as soon as I get a decent amount of excerpts. Then from there, we just build on!

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to add to this, that Tackitt emailed me to let me know that if you are looking for someone to record the reading of your excerpt, if you are uncomfortable or if you don't really know how it would sound. She has someone with lots of theater under their belt as well as public speaking. They would love to help out with any authors that may want a reader for their recordings.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This sounds like an excellent, excellent idea. Particularly the part about "knowing that you sound like a stupid American trying to pull off a bad Crocodile Dundee accent while apparently having a head that's nasal-powered."

What's that? You didn't write that? Hmmm... must've just been what I interpreted.

And mate, I hope you did the One Thing I tell anybody that pitches me a new idea: Register The Domain.

Rock on, and keep us posted on how it goes!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
K-Dalglish said:
I would like to add to this, that Tackitt emailed me to let me know that if you are looking for someone to record the reading of your excerpt, if you are uncomfortable or if you don't really know how it would sound. She has someone with lots of theater under their belt as well as public speaking. They would love to help out with any authors that may want a reader for their recordings.
I like this. Now I am "that Tackitt" hehehe ;) I did offer the vocal assistance of my son for reading excerpts. He has 6 years of theater experience, all 4 years of high school his English teachers had him do all of the reading aloud in class anytime they wanted something read, and from what I hear, he's doing it again in college.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Kristian, I didn't see a suggest length, so I submitted the whole thing. ;D
Just kidding.  Well, I did submit it all, but you can decide how much to read.  My only request is that the excerpt start at the beginning.
Thanks so much for doing this!

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will look over the submission and see how far in we wanna go. Thanks for the submit :)

For those future submissions, along with what I have requested above. Please include where your book is available so I can link to it at the bottom of your excerpt.

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
judd.exley said:
And mate, I hope you did the One Thing I tell anybody that pitches me a new idea: Register The Domain.
I actually have a domain for my software amazon rankings, I am using a sub of it right now, I plan on registering and redirecting if it does ok for the first little while. Already looked into getting a certain domain registered, won't disclose what I have planned for the domain though ;)

The site is actually live as well, A few people have seen it but they are under order not to disclose as of now, trying to build a library before releasing the sites address.

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are starting to get submissions coming in, if you missed this thread and/or you forgot about it. Please feel free to submit your excerpts with the requirements listed in the first post. I would like to get the site live in the next coming weeks with a decent library to launch it with. I can only do that with you, the writers, Help! :)

Kristian

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I seem to have stopped with submissions for this, I am looking for any authors are willing to just allow me to pull excerpts from the beginning chapters myself. I really would like to get this going. But I know alot of the authors around here are busy, and may not have a chance to submit an excerpt. If you are one of those people. Simply reply with as little as "yes." and I'll know you are ok with me doing a small excerpt from the sample book. This way I can build a library and get the site released without waiting forever to get a enough submissions to go live.

Kristian

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You can grab the first chapters for all my books from Podiobooks.com -- the entire books are available for free, but if you wanna replicate them on your site, they're licensed for that.  PM me for deets if you need anything

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nathan Lowell said:
You can grab the first chapters for all my books from Podiobooks.com -- the entire books are available for free, but if you wanna replicate them on your site, they're licensed for that. PM me for deets if you need anything
Thank you for the info Nathan, I very well might excerpt all three :)

Kristian

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I am intrigued by this.  I like the idea very much.  I have been doing YouTube "virtual readings" for my books, but I also love this idea.  Does it matter what format the recording is in?

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
balaspa said:
I am intrigued by this. I like the idea very much. I have been doing YouTube "virtual readings" for my books, but I also love this idea. Does it matter what format the recording is in?
Not really, I just don't want it to be super long. Hope you join us :)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
K-Dalglish said:
Thank you for the info Nathan, I very well might excerpt all three :)

Kristian
There's eight of them altogether. Only the first three are in print at the moment but book four should be out in August.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts