Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
I think that 'Kindle' now refers to both of them. I'll keep calling mine my 'Kindle'.

But when I have to differentiate, I'll have to be specific and add the generation number - kind of like Amazon is doing now with its 'Kindle 1' and 'Kindle 2' accessories pages.

Life got a bit more complicated, but it's a good thing.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Kindle is the Kindle, yes, but the new one is shaped drastically different than the old one, and has new features.  There has to be some sort of way of telling the different generations from one another though. You could do it like the iPod does, just call them 1st, 2nd, generation, etc. I think the current iPod is 8th generation, I own a 5th generation. And so on.

I might just call mine a Klassic Kindle...

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Initially I was calling it the Original KIndle (OK) but people seem to be more comfortable with the generation number. There is an IPod and many generations of the IPod. Now there is a multi-generational Kindle.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I like the Klassic name myself, but when my DH starts calling me is darling klassic instead of his darling kindle - I'm not too sure  ;D  (I am not his darling angel any more LOL)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or you could just call them "the Kindle" and "Kindle 2" since that's what they are. There's no need to complicate things or invent names that don't legitimately apply to talk about "the Kindle". People intelligent enough to read and use one should be intelligent enough to know "the Kindle" is the original Amazon reading device and "Kindle 2" or "the Kindle 2" is the updated second gen device.

When John Doe becomes the father of John Doe Jr. or John Doe II the father's birth certificate doesn't magically change to read John Doe Sr. or John Doe I. The dad is still John Doe just the same as the day he was born.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heh, good point LDB.  I know a guy who made his son a junior and started signing his own name with a Sr. at the end.  It makes me laugh every time - it's not like we think his 2 year old might have signed it. 

It won't come up for a while since my husband and I are sticking with our Original Recipe Kindles.  We just call them "Kindle"

·
Registered
54 Posts
LDB said:
Or you could just call them "the Kindle" and "Kindle 2" since that's what they are. There's no need to complicate things or invent names that don't legitimately apply to talk about "the Kindle".
But the Kindle 2 is now the Kindle...

Technology names change retroactively, that's just the way it goes. As a previous poster said, it's the same with iPod's. If you have the original iPod, as in the FIRST one, you say it's a "first generation iPod" or "the original iPod". You wouldn't just say you have "an iPod" and expect people to know what that means.

In cars, you don't say "I have a mustang" and assume everyone knows it's a 1964 and a half model.

·
Registered
115 Posts
LDB said:
Or you could just call them "the Kindle" and "Kindle 2" since that's what they are. There's no need to complicate things or invent names that don't legitimately apply to talk about "the Kindle". People intelligent enough to read and use one should be intelligent enough to know "the Kindle" is the original Amazon reading device and "Kindle 2" or "the Kindle 2" is the updated second gen device.

When John Doe becomes the father of John Doe Jr. or John Doe II the father's birth certificate doesn't magically change to read John Doe Sr. or John Doe I. The dad is still John Doe just the same as the day he was born.
I think this is a specious argument. And the poster above me has it right. It all comes down to clarity. If I mention to someone "I have a Kindle" it is not immediately clear if I have the first gen or second gen Kindle.

If I say "I have a Kindle 1" or "I have a first gen Kindle" there is absolutely lapse in understanding of my meaning.

It has nothing to do with having a certain level of intelligence to be able to understand.

So what is more important, to be semantic about the original name? Or to briefly type a 1 after it so there is no misunderstanding.

We hear this all the time for clarity sake. George W. Bush vs George H.W. Bush, or "Bush the Elder". Ken Griffey Sr. etc. We say them this way to avoid any possible confusion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Even though Apple calls it the iPod, most of us owners say things like "I have a Gen5 iPod or Gen4."  Now that they have Shuffle, Classic, Nano, and Touch you'll probably here more GenX amongst those.  I have a Gen5 iPod and a Gen1 Touch.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
When I bought my IPod everyone who had a third generation IPOd called it the fourth generation IPod. When the chip updates were happening with computers it was 386 or 486 (I think those are the numbers). Now the IPod is the IPod because there is only one version and it is not likely to change. When the IPod's were updating on a regualr basis, they went by generational numbers.

It is not uncommon in the technology world.

And to be frank, who cares is some folks call them K1 and K2 or Klassic Kindle and new Kindle?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
LDB said:
Amazon sold the Kindle. Now they are selling the Kindle 2. That does not change the name of the Kindle to the Kindle 1. It was, is, and always will be the Kindle, nothing more and nothing less.
Oh come on. Your statement is self evident but not reasonable to any discussion group. There is a difference between the original Kindle and the new one. People in discussions need to indicate which they are referring to, so we use K1 and K2.

Steve

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Actually Amazon IS calling it the Kindle 2

Kindle 2: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device (Latest Generation)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
In the grand scheme of things outside of the very small minority of the world that has even heard of the Kindle, who cares what you call it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.