Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the stage of editing where I search and check all my 'theres' and my 'theirs' (I searched 'they're', and turned up with 0 !?!?) I scroll through every single 'their', all 163 of them, and after looking at it so many times, by the 120's it starts to look weird to me. Like it's spelled wrong. Seriously? The 'i' is after the 'e'? Has it always been spelled this way? Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. Their. <------ Look at that. Doesn't it just start to look wrong after awhile? I almost start reading it like a spanish -ir verb. Anyway....

Wierd.

Yes,
Wierd.
;D

· Registered
17,459 Posts
That is so funny, because yesterday I was giving Not for Glory one laast look, doing a search on "there" and on about the hundredth one, I looked at it and really couldn't remember if it looked right.  :D

· Administrator
10,454 Posts
smreine said:
I've just escaped a battle to the death versus lie/lay/lied/laid. You have my sympathies.
You didn't "escape" the battle, smreine. You *won* the battle. :)

· Registered
3,717 Posts
Becca Mills said:
You didn't "escape" the battle, smreine. You *won* the battle. :)
They may take our verbs, but they will never take...OUR FREEDOM!

To be honest, I just rephrased all of the sentences so that I didn't have to use the offending word. Everyone is "sprawling on her bed" or "stretching out in the grass," just to be sure I get it right. Heh. It's a strategic withdrawal, not a defeat!

· Registered
590 Posts
Endi Webb said:
Doesn't it just start to look wrong after awhile?
Yes! Any word looks weird and misspelled if you stare at it long enough.

smreine said:
To be honest, I just rephrased all of the sentences so that I didn't have to use the offending word. Everyone is "sprawling on her bed" or "stretching out in the grass," just to be sure I get it right. Heh. It's a strategic withdrawal, not a defeat!
That's usually my technique, too. I reworked several sentences the other day to get rid of "whom." Just doesn't work in conversations. Creative editing, that's what I call it. :)

· Registered
5,771 Posts
Oh, man, I've been guilty of the same.

As far as something looking misspelled if you look long enough, ever notice that if you say a word out loud long enough it sounds wrong? Try "milk". Say it a bunch of times and you are sure it can't be the right word.

· Registered
2,504 Posts
smreine said:
They may take our verbs, but they will never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Oh yeah! Someone else who does that!
The whole lay/lie thing really needs to be changed - it's a stinker of a system.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.