Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have done this sooner but late or not, I'll introduce myself here.  Actually, I'll blather on for quite a bit and then hope I didn't bore all of you to tears.  I've had my Kindle since March and it goes everywhere with me.  I live in Portland, Oregon and while I'm sure there are a lot of Kindle owners here I have yet to see anyone else carrying one except on airplanes.  I usually travel on business a lot and life BK (before Kindle) I had 3 or 4 books in my carry-on for every trip, and several more in my checked bag.  Ha!, now I have my Kindle and one backup book in case something goes wrong.  A few months ago, I broke my ankle late at night at a friend's house and after they sent me from the ER to a room to wait for surgery the next day, I sent the friend who'd ridden in the ambulance with me home to feed my cats and pick up four things for me:  my Kindle and charger, my work blackberry and its charger.  I told her the critical thing was the blackberry (as I had to let boss know what was up) but I was lying like a rug.  I needed my Kindle and the blackberry was a convenient excuse.  I can now tell you that you can indeed read your Kindle while on morphine but you read really sssllloowwwlly.

I've always read voraciously and can't even count the number of books in my house, but it's literally over 10,000.  I see the Kindle as a way to cut down on the clutter of books everywhere, even if it wasn't such a great way to read.  My greatest fear is that Amazon will quit supporting this thing and I'll have a lot of books I can no longer read if something happens to it.  I read a lot of things but mainly sci-fi, fantasy and paranormal romance.  Since buying the Kindle I've found a lot of great places to buy paranormal e-books in particular by smaller publishers whose books are not carried on Amazon.  I have also discovered that if a book you want is available for pre-order on Amazon and you take advantage of that, you get it a few minutes after midnight the day of release.  Score!  Since I'm something of an insomniac and frequently read in the middle of the night, no more waiting for the local bookstore to open to get those books for me. 

I've become quite skilled at figuring out how to edit the ebooks I buy elsewhere in HTML format if for some reason the Amazon automatic conversion system can't handle them.  Everything from deleting a totally ordinary JPG cover that is no bigger than others that successfully go through to splitting files in half, even though they aren't any bigger than others that also go through, to removing page breaks even though others with the same control characters convert with no issue.  I also discovered a bug in the automatic conversion system.  I mistakenly sent some unencrypted Mobipocket files to the conversion system (e.g. emailed them to my kindle email address) and instead of correctly reporting back to me that the file format isn't supported (or more accurately, that I don't need to convert it at all), the system sent the converted file wirelessly to my Kindle.  Problem was that the converted file created this way is unreadable and after I attempted to open it, not only did I get an error on that file but I could no longer open any other book until I did a reset.  Lesson learned, Mobi files should be copied straight to the Kindle with the USB cable, as they don't need conversion.  Next time, RTFM Sioux...

In general I've found Amazon tech support to be very responsive, but I'm also finding that they rarely have answers for issues I run into, such as ways to prevent decreased battery life over time, the random lockups not tied to a dead battery, the problems with some HTML files not converting, to why the conversion program sends me files that can't be opened and that lock the Kindle, but I've come up with my own solutions for all these things.

In addition to the M-Edge cover I wrote about on these boards a month or so ago, I have a spare charger I keep in my carry-on bag so I don't have to worry that I'll forget to pack it and a Gomadic AA battery backup charger, as I learned long ago that many airports have two outlets total and hundreds of rabid business travelers willing to go to the mat over them.  Myself, I'd rather be drinking in the bar and reading without the fight.  I also have a booklight and an SD card.  So far I have about 800 books on the Kindle.  I also like to go camping a lot and intend to take the AA battery charger and lots of batteries for each trip.  I may camp in a tent but a lack of electricity is no reason to do without my Kindle.

Other Kindle notes:  In an airport about six weeks ago I was reading my Kindle (duh) while waiting for a flight and a woman asked me if this was the Amazon Kimberly she'd seen on Oprah.  Not wanting to embarrass her I told her, yes, it was.  I get asked about it pretty much any time I'm reading it in public and you can't shut me up about how great it is once you ask, so be warned.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Great intro, Sioux!  Enjoyed reading about the camping and the battery charger, too!

Welcome again to Kindleboards!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Great intro Sioux! Thanks for sharing your story and insights.

I hope your ankle is healing well, too!

L

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi

Glad your here

On your Gomadic charge how many time can you charge your Kindle before you have to replace the battries

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Sioux - Glad to have you finally join us. Leslie could probably use your help on some questions, or not since she is the original GURU. Glad to have you here though. My brother-in-law travels a lot and was asking me about the kindle the other day, unfortunately he was in Dallas and I am in Mexico, but he sounds interested, hope I can get him hooked.

Enjoy and Welcome and keep posting -

I

·
0 Posts
Howdy Sioux and welcome to the Kindle Boards!

I love my Amazon Kimberly to! :)

Bacardi Jim said:
Refurb available!
right! Everyone keep an eye on the tracker!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Refurb indeed.  Humph.  Some people will do anything to get their hands on a Kindle... ;)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
and one backup book in case something goes wrong.
Loved your intro...thanks. But the one thing I picked up on was that you carry a backup book. Small tip, but a great one. I would hate to be far from home, in a strange town, and nothing at all to read.
Thanks,
debbie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In reply to the question by Tessa:

On your Gomadic charge how many time can you charge your Kindle before you have to replace the battries

I'm not sure yet, as I've only had to use it only once so far, being truly paranoid about not being able to read due to a dead battery.  I'll report back when I have this information.  I carry this sort of thing for my cell phone as well, for pretty much the same reason and those things only work for 2-3 charges. 

I can report that I bought a replacement battery a few months ago (when they were actually in stock...) and not surprisingly, I experience longer battery life with the new one than the one that had been recharged many times.  I don't know why Amazon continues to deny this (and I called tech support, they do) but I'd certainly expect it to behave like a lithium cell phone battery, which the cell manufacturers will tell you is only good for a fixed number of charges before degraded battery life.  I originally followed the Amazon recommendation to keep it plugged in as much as possible, but I no longer do that, as I expect it will behave like a cell phone.  You can plug it in only so many times before life is degraded.  Of course, I could be deluded and am interested what others reading this have experienced.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
thanks Sioux 

You were very help full I ordered the charger for just in case.  I live by Murphy's Law what can go wrong will go wrong and at the worse time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts