Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I LOVE my Kindle 2. This thing is amazing. I have been reading so much more now that I have it and it makes reading that much more enjoyable.

I do have one small issue though. I am posting this here to see if anyone else finds this an issue and to hear if there is a way you deal with it or if you just ignore it.

My issue is that when I read actual books I would usually read and read and read until I was too tired to read anymore. I would then look ahead to see how close I was to finishing a chapter. If I was close then I would finish the chapter and then stop, but if I had a lot more to go then I would find a good spot to stop. With the Kindle I have not found a good way to quickly do that. If there are 40 pages left in the chapter I do not want to have to page through 40 pages to find that out. The same goes for when I am close to the end of a book. When close to the end I want a good idea as to how much more I have left. Can I finish the book now or do I need to stop and finish later.

I am nearing the end of my first Kindle book so maybe I just need to use it more and figure out these things after using it more, but I was wondering if anyone else sees this as I do and if there are any techniques you have found that helps.

Like I said, this is a very minor issue, almost a non issue, but just thought I would ask you smart people.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
This is part of the reason many of us say we are reading more, You just can't tell where to quit so you keep on going! And they wonder at work why I look sleepy.

G

·
I am a lifelong, avid reader.  (Age: 47)  I used to read in my basement bedroom until 1-2 am as a kid.  But I was never hung up on the "completing a chapter" thing, Mr. Monk. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
But I was never hung up on the "completing a chapter" thing, Mr. Monk. ;)
LOL I love the Monk reference. Actually there is some thruth to it as I do have a mild case of OCD. Nothing like Monk and nothing I can't control, but it is there nonetheless.

G

·
The Kindle Kid said:
LOL I love the Monk reference. Actually there is some thruth to it as I do have a mild case of OCD. Nothing like Monk and nothing I can't control, but it is there nonetheless.
*hands KK a wipe... and a second one for his keyboard*

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am the same way. If I'm getting tired, I will see how close I am to the end of the chapter to decide whether or not to keep reading.

On the Kindle, instead of paging to the end of the chapter, the best way I can think of is to go to the table of contents and see what location the next chapter starts at.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Kindle Kid said:
The same goes for when I am close to the end of a book. When close to the end I want a good idea as to how much more I have left. Can I finish the book now or do I need to stop and finish later.
Though you are absolutely right for chapters, the progress bar and percentage number give me a good indication of how much is left to the end of the book...

Dirk

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
one persoln said they went and book marked the chapters so that in reading they could see the chapters coming. I found that I could not distinguish my location book mark and chapter bookmarks :D
Sylvia

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I used to do that. Now I simply stop wherever I am in the book and not worry about it. It was more for convienence than anything else. Easier to find my place when I picked the books back up. Now that I don't have to worry about that anymore since Kindle remembers for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Without a case, K2 is almost slippery to hold onto.  I'm thinking about sticky taping some neophrene or felt on the back to get a better grip.

Some grooves milled into the back would go a long way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts