Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am sure everyone has a pet peeve.  Mine involve the management of more than 300 documents now present on my Kindle.  It seems a daunting task.  I have many documents written by the same author, but invariably they have different formatting or spelling, so they don't sort out in the correct place.  Also, it would be really nice if there was some way to sort by genre.  I have so many different genres that it is very hard to keep it all straight.  Wouldn't it be nice if Amazon developed an application for the Kindle that would run on a PC or Mac and allow the user to fine tune these fields... similar to the way iTunes can do for mp3's.  And, Amazon could do alot better than just 3 sort options, for example, I would love to have a sort like this: genre->author->most recent... or genre->author->title->version.  Yes, I think that lots of other fields, like "version", would be great additions.  I often find texts that have multiple versions, even relatively modern stuff, and I am accumulating a fair amount of stuff that is broken down in multiple documents, so a chapter or division indicator of some sort would be nice -- kind of like "track#" for mp3's.  And it would be excellent, if the Kindle would let you assign these types of attributes to .txt files also, so they could be kept track of more easily too.

I don't want much... but this stuff seems essential to me.  Otherwise folks are going to go batty trying to keep stuff organized on even bigger memory devices.  Just imagine trying to keep track of all the stuff on your iPod with just 3 attributes to sort them by!?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It sounds like you are talking about editing and tagging non amazon files. Just use one of the free programs like caliber or mobipocket creator. Track numbers to me are basically the purpose of chapters in books. The only thing I really want Amazon to provide would be folders or I suppose tags. But I do fine with all my non amazon documents by using the above mentioned programs, even though I haven't quite figured out how to create chapter links yet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Amazon should have a folder for Pictures... So we don't have to make one manually... I also would like it if they put more space on the hard drive... I know the Kindle 2 has a lot of space already... However I read a lot of manga, and manga scans take up  alot of space...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rasputina said:
It sounds like you are talking about editing and tagging non amazon files. Just use one of the free programs like caliber or mobipocket creator. Track numbers to me are basically the purpose of chapters in books. The only thing I really want Amazon to provide would be folders or I suppose tags. But I do fine with all my non amazon documents by using the above mentioned programs, even though I haven't quite figured out how to create chapter links yet.
I took a look at the specs for Mobipocket Creator. It looks nice, but I don't believe it will allow edits to be made to tags provided by others. I could be wrong, but... that is a very big problem, with author names misspelled, or spelled differently or formatted differently... the Kindle sorts the documents all over the place. With some like iTunes, you can simply mark a bunch of tracks and do a group edit -- to change all the tags to have consistent artist tags. And iTunes works on non-protected as well as protected content. So I was suggesting that such an application should be able to do both types of documents: .txt as well as Kindle protected formats.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think the biggest gripe of mine is the lack of folders, and I have a feeling that a lot of other people would agree with me on that one. I'm hoping it's added via a software update at some point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
L.Canton said:
I think the biggest gripe of mine is the lack of folders, and I have a feeling that a lot of other people would agree with me on that one. I'm hoping it's added via a software update at some point.
Yes! I agree 110%.

But without better tagging, how would folders work? I think that tagging has got to be better to make folders viable. Look at it like this... I have quite a few documents by John W Campbell and H Beam Piper... each document seems to have the authors name spelled differently or formatted differently. Now if we just distribute the messy tags by author alone we might have a structure like this:

\Campbell, John W\Islands in Space
\John W Campbell\Invaders from the Infinite

and other variations on the theme... almost as bad as it is now. With my idea, we could have this:

\SciFi\Camobell, John W\Islands in Space
\Invaders from the Infinite
\Piper, H Beam\Space Viking

To get this sort of folder structure, the Kindle needs (a) more tags, such as genere, (b) standardized author naming -- which could be done by the user, if there was some way to easily modify the author tag in protected content.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rasputina said:
I edit my titles, author names ect in mobipocket, every day.
Okay. Good to know. Are the documents that you are updating protected, like the files that we purchase from Amazon? Or are they files that you have created yourself from .txt (or other mobi compatible formats) files?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Like I posted above, it appeared you were talking about non Amazon files. The prc files that Amazon uses are DRM protected and I haven't bothered trying to hack them. I have no need to since the cover, title and author information has always been correct and I haven't had any problems with the TOC links. I only use mobipocket and caliber to edit books and files I get off the web or create myself. A lot of the free books the data is not accurate so I do edit the meta data for those files. 

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rasputina said:
Like I posted above, it appeared you were talking about non Amazon files. The prc files that Amazon uses are DRM protected and I haven't bothered trying to hack them. I have no need to since the cover, title and author information has always been correct and I haven't had any problems with the TOC links. I only use mobipocket and caliber to edit books and files I get off the web or create myself. A lot of the free books the data is not accurate so I do edit the meta data for those files.
Okay, well, yes, I was writing about tag data for txt files... and, I agree, the Mobi program should do the trick for them. I have purchased several books from Amazon that different spelling for the same author, and different formatting, i.e. "Piper, H. Beam" vs "H Beam Piper" vs "Piper H Beam". To my eye, these look the same, but the small differences are not always caught by the Kindle when it sorts. Another author that I have loads of trouble with is A.E. Van Vogt... there seems to be an almost infinite variation in the spelling and formatting of his name -- in product purchased from Amazon. It is an annoyance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Folders.  I want folders.

When Tivo came out it couldn't even be sorted.  Took a few years to get a sort, then folders.

I'd even pay for a software version with folders.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I started out wanting folders, but now I think I'd rather see an easy to use tag system.  That way a single book could belong to several categories even if it can only be in one folder at a time.  In my head, tags are like virtual folders.  So one time I can grab a particular genre, and the next time, a particular author or series.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts