Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
I share personal stuff that is related to what I do. I post notes about my gaming sessions, or weird emails I get, video games I'm playing, or silly things like my zombie phobia (OK, I don't think it is silly at all, but for some reason people find the fact that I'm terrified of zombies hysterical :'( :eek:). But I don't "overshare" about my day to day life or relationships.
Oooooooooh. A phobia of zombies. I am participating in our local Run For Your Life zombie 5k. I am participating as a zombie. Mwhahahahaha

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I said before that I think that anything you are into your readers (some of them) will respond to because they read your stuff.

So I write fantasy and crime, so I share stuff about other fantasy and crime works/authors at times. Not in a "I'm trying to get you to go buy something" but in a "this is cool and related to our interests" . . .

I don't mind sharing personal stuff. I've been online for a very long time, and I've been open about who I am. But the majority of what I share isn't personal. There's really no limit to what works. People go on social networks to see interesting things. Give them stuff related to your characters. (I'm going to post alcohol soon. My cops all drink. I'm likely to do some recipes in the future as I make some up . . . it's a fantasy world, right?)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
You know, I used to have a Facebook presence for one of my pen names and let it go when it didn't seem to drive a lot of interest toward sales.  However, recently I've thought about reviving it, and have tried to think of ways I could make it more interesting for me to post there.  I have built my fanbase entirely from direct personal interaction on Goodreads, on making readers feel like they know me (and they do, for the most part).  I would like to carry that over to FB where there's the potential to reach even more users.

At present, the fiance and I are really into decorating our home, and I've had some pretty creative ideas for making our tiny apartment livable.  I thought it would be great to post home-decorating pictures on my author page, just to get people feeling, as they do on GR, that they know me personally, have some investment in and familiarity with my "real life."  The strategy worked on GR...why not on FB? 

I think this weekend I might have to resurrect that page.

I will still keep my "real" FB page, though, which is private and has a tightly controlled friends list of people I actually do know well in real life.  I swear a lot there, and sometimes post drunk. Not the kind of thing any readers need to see.  ;)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
otterific said:
The backdrop for most of my books are the Yellowstone and Grand Teton areas. I like to post a daily picture of the area on my fan page, which gets decent engagement with readers. I also post updates on current WIP, and a weekly teaser (linked to my blog, but I'm considering putting the teaser directly on the page). I did do a few opinion polls, which always gets readers to respond - which is great. Last summer, I was doing final edits of one of my books on location, and I posted from there, with photos of the areas that I talk about in the book.
Oooh, now I'm going to read all your books! I grew up in that area -- Rexburg, Driggs, and Tetonia, with frequent family business trips to Jackson Hole. My dude and I are planning to get a vacation home somewhere around the Tetons as soon as we are able. There's no place like it in the world!

I'm not even a big romance person, and now I'm all excited to read your books, just because of the setting. So your strategy of posting pics of the landscape associated with your books would work really well on me! :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Every time that I post a meme that has to do with alcohol, the number of likes I usually get quadruples.  ;D

I post progress updates (I do have at least 5 people waiting for the book I'm writing right now- lol), new release/freebie/promo info on my books, pictures of stuff I think are cool (places and things normally), and a comment here or there about books I'm reading or shows I'm watching. I read somewhere (I think on kboard thread) that pictures get more interaction than text posts and I've definitely found that to be true for my page.

·
Registered
345 Posts
ElHawk said:
Oooh, now I'm going to read all your books! I grew up in that area -- Rexburg, Driggs, and Tetonia, with frequent family business trips to Jackson Hole. My dude and I are planning to get a vacation home somewhere around the Tetons as soon as we are able. There's no place like it in the world!

I'm not even a big romance person, and now I'm all excited to read your books, just because of the setting. So your strategy of posting pics of the landscape associated with your books would work really well on me! :)
My family and I go to Yellowstone every summer. My dream is to live in that area some day. There is no place like it in the world! One of the best reviews I ever received from a reader was someone who obviously lives in the area. She said she was prepared to love the book or hate it depending on if I nailed the setting. She gave it a 5star. Said the setting was spot on accurate.

I'm not sure how well the picture-posting strategy works to gain new readers, since the people on my fan page are already my readers. It's just fun to keep my current readers engaged. Most of them are not familiar with Yellowstone. But I do get lots of readers emailing me and telling me they want to go there now, after reading the books. One lady was already planning a trip last year, and she said she only wanted to see Old Faithful until she read my books. Then she wanted to see a whole lot more, and I put together a personal trip planner for her. I love that kind of interaction with my readers.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The pictures idea was great. I am going to find pictures that are evocative of settings in my books. It might draw eyes. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Alan Petersen said:
Great tips! I don't like Facebook so it's a challenge for me, so this thread has giving me some great ideas.
I agree. I'm not actually on Facebook, however, this thread might change my mind about it.

G

·
Judi Coltman said:
Oooooooooh. A phobia of zombies. I am participating in our local Run For Your Life zombie 5k. I am participating as a zombie. Mwhahahahaha
I think I could totally run a 5K if there was a zombie chasing me. :eek:

Or, more likely, I would just have a heart attack on the spot and die.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm one of those irritating Twitter jokesters, always putting up 140 character gags I've thought of, so I do that on my Facebook page sometimes, with the added bonus of no character limit. As an example, here's today's:

"I think I will have that third slice of cake. After all, I'm eating for three! :)"

-- The lead guy in a Human Centipede.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
I share personal stuff that is related to what I do. I post notes about my gaming sessions, or weird emails I get, video games I'm playing, or silly things like my zombie phobia (OK, I don't think it is silly at all, but for some reason people find the fact that I'm terrified of zombies hysterical :'( :eek:). But I don't "overshare" about my day to day life or relationships.
I guess a surprise zombie-themed (where all the guests dress up) birthday party is out then. :(

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I post a lot of China related stuff as well as ways to help advocate, but I found that when I post some tiny personal tidbit, it gets the most interaction.

Three of my most 'Liked' things are:

Screenshots of funny text messages between me and my teenagers

Updates on me and the neighborhood dog situation (I know every dog in the neighborhood by name but none of the people and there is always dog drama)

Fun tidbits about my sweetheart because after 19 years, we are still in love and who doesn't like a love story?

G

·
LisaGraceBooks said:
I guess a surprise zombie-themed (where all the guests dress up) birthday party is out then. :(
The only way this happens is if Mike decides to try to collect on my life insurance policy. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. I've done a few from the original post but others are new ideas to me.

I had a ton of likes on a picture of my shamrock plant this past weekend. It has a nice little family story to go along with it. It had nothing to do with my books and for me, I find the hardest thing is to strike a balance between posting about my books or book related things, and just chatting.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts