Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember having a blast, buying Stephen King's Green Mile in mini books. Each episode was cheap and you could buy the box with the first one to put them all in.
I guess having a box made is out of the question, but what about releasing the episodes of my season in books too? I'd love to do that.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not convinced that a box would be out of the question! Anything is possible, though it might be something you might wish to do as a specific offer in conjunction with a specific distribution website that can facilitate that for you - there will definitely be some out there that can.

I have to say I'm not sure I personally would buy a series in mini-books; I think postage and packing would be offputting to me in this way. I'd be tempted to buy an omnibus edition of several mini-books though? It might be a little more practical?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely publish a "whole season" paperback, with the beautiful cover Claudia made for it:

But she also made stunning covers for the episodes (well, for the first two for now, but it's out of the question not hiring her again for the following ones):

With Amazon Premium, I don't pay postage, and the book is there the following day. Might be nice too - at least, to give the possibility?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
How long are they?  I'm doing it for my new release/series (FA).  They are approx. 150pgs.  If it's <100, might be worth putting out two in 1 paperback.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cblewgolf said:
How long are they? I'm doing it for my new release/series (FA). They are approx. 150pgs. If it's <100, might be worth putting out two in 1 paperback.
No, I don't have the exact page count yet, but they are novelettes (about 10k words) so I imagine it's around 30-45 pages?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I must say, I prefer the covers for the individual episodes than the collection. :D That being said, I'm not sure this is a good idea from a logistics standpoint.

Thing is, there's a minimum charge anytime you create a paperback, so your 10K novelette will have to be priced somewhat exorbitantly.

About the cheapest you'd be able to price each one (assuming 30 pages since formatted-for-paperback pages have more words per page than printing from your comptuer) is $3.99, which would earn you 24 cents through Amazon or $1.04 through the eStore (and not eligible for Expanded Distribution).

There are six episodes in your story, so it comes to 60K words total, which is on the short side for a novel, but still novel-length. $3.99 x 6 = $23.54

Are most readers really going to spend $24 for the equivalent of a short novel in paperback (and that's assuming you charge basically as low as you can get away with)?  And you only earn $1.44 total royalty assuming someone buys all 6 episodes.

Meanwhile the omnibus edition would probably be around 180-200 pages, and you could charge as little as $8.99 for that thing, still earning $2.14 (which is 70cents MORE than you'd earn selling them separately), and it's just slightly more than a third of the price of buying them separately.

Really, the economics don't make sense...for either you or the reader.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amanda Brice said:
I must say, I prefer the covers for the individual episodes than the collection. :D That being said, I'm not sure this is a good idea from a logistics standpoint.

Thing is, there's a minimum charge anytime you create a paperback, so your 10K novelette will have to be priced somewhat exorbitantly.

About the cheapest you'd be able to price each one (assuming 30 pages since formatted-for-paperback pages have more words per page than printing from your comptuer) is $3.99, which would earn you 24 cents through Amazon or $1.04 through the eStore (and not eligible for Expanded Distribution).

There are six episodes in your story, so it comes to 60K words total, which is on the short side for a novel, but still novel-length. $3.99 x 6 = $23.54

Are most readers really going to spend $24 for the equivalent of a short novel in paperback (and that's assuming you charge basically as low as you can get away with)? And you only earn $1.44 total royalty assuming someone buys all 6 episodes.

Meanwhile the omnibus edition would probably be around 180-200 pages, and you could charge as little as $8.99 for that thing, still earning $2.14 (which is 70cents MORE than you'd earn selling them separately), and it's just slightly more than a third of the price of buying them separately.

Really, the economics don't make sense...for either you or the reader.
I want to say that I have considered that, and that I think that you are right.

My experience with readers has been different, though. When offered to read for free online, they still wanted the paperback of our autism website archives. More than the ebook (which was cheaper).
The real problem is the cost of production, yes. I don't care about the royalty on those. :) They would be for the collector reader.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
I want to say that I have considered that, and that I think that you are right.

My experience with readers has been different, though. When offered to read for free online, they still wanted the paperback of our autism website archives. More than the ebook (which was cheaper).
The real problem is the cost of production, yes. I don't care about the royalty on those. :) They would be for the collector reader.
If you use Createspace, a $4.99 price point without expanded distribution nets you positive (though small) "royalty," and it keeps the price point down for consumers. These are obviously not for bargain hunters but for real fans. You would be doing something for your fan base, and they will appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SunHi Mistwalker said:
I recommend reading Dean Wesley's article about how he did mini paperbacks.
http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=7622
Love those! Thanks for the link. I had read that post a while back, it's probably from there I got the idea! :D

Keith Strohm said:
If you use Createspace, a $4.99 price point without expanded distribution nets you positive (though small) "royalty," and it keeps the price point down for consumers. These are obviously not for bargain hunters but for real fans. You would be doing something for your fan base, and they will appreciate it.
I have no fan base for the moment, but I'm hoping to have one any day now! Raving fans? Raving fans? I'm heeee-eeeere! :p

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question: do you know what format DWS uses?
It looks smaller than the 6x9 paperback from Lee Child.
Pocket?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I always like using 5.25 x 8 (I hate, hate, hate 6x9 -- I think it's too large and clunky), but for stories as short as 10,000 words, I'd really think you should go as small as possible with the trim size. 5x8 or 5.06 x 7.81 would be my choice for something this length.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amanda Brice said:
I always like using 5.25 x 8 (I hate, hate, hate 6x9 -- I think it's too large and clunky), but for stories as short as 10,000 words, I'd really think you should go as small as possible with the trim size. 5x8 or 5.06 x 7.81 would be my choice for something this length.
;D ;D ;D
All my paperbacks are 6x9.
I cringe at the idea of changing size, because it will look all floopy on my shelf!
*autistic girl mode on*

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
No, I don't have the exact page count yet, but they are novelettes (about 10k words) so I imagine it's around 30-45 pages?
Probably more like 40-50 pages. Typical paperbacks are about 250 words per page, and then you have a few pages for cover, copyright, etc.

I've made Createspace paperbacks of any story that's long enough to be worth releasing that way (e.g. at least 24 pages). They don't sell much, but they do sell occasionally, and they look cool on my book shelf. Takes a couple of hours these days to reformat the text, adapt the e-book cover to a wraparound print cover and upload.

Oh, and mine are 5x8 as that seems to fit my book shelf best.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edward M. Grant said:
Probably more like 40-50 pages. Typical paperbacks are about 250 words per page, and then you have a few pages for cover, copyright, etc.

I've made Createspace paperbacks of any story that's long enough to be worth releasing that way (e.g. at least 24 pages). They don't sell much, but they do sell occasionally, and they look cool on my book shelf. Takes a couple of hours these days to reformat the text, adapt the e-book cover to a wraparound print cover and upload.

Oh, and mine are 5x8 as that seems to fit my book shelf best.
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! ;D

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! ;D
Okay. You asked! ;D

At 11,000 words, with front copy and a 2-page map, it comes out to 50 pages at 5 X 8. The price is $3.99, which only earns me something like 26 cents, but money was not the key for me for this product. The way I look at it is that it's more exposure on Amazon. Readers might not be willing to pay $3.99 for a printed short, but when they see the same material is only 99 cents for the Kindle, they might be willing to make the jump. Has it worked so far? Not sure yet. Only put the printed version up recently. However, sales for the Kindle version have gone up a little more than usual. Also, being a prequel story to a trilogy of novels, it might entice readers to continue into the series.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ty Johnston said:
Okay. You asked! ;D

At 11,000 words, with front copy and a 2-page map, it comes out to 50 pages at 5 X 8. The price is $3.99, which only earns me something like 26 cents, but money was not the key for me for this product. The way I look at it is that it's more exposure on Amazon. Readers might not be willing to pay $3.99 for a printed short, but when they see the same material is only 99 cents for the Kindle, they might be willing to make the jump. Has it worked so far? Not sure yet. Only put the printed version up recently. However, sales for the Kindle version have gone up a little more than usual. Also, being a prequel story to a trilogy of novels, it might entice readers to continue into the series.
That's cheating, I want to see it on the shelf or in your hands, see the spine! :D

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ty Johnston said:
Okay. The real deal. Not the best of quality, but it should look thin enough.

OK, that is übercute.
*drools*

I'm sold, I'm going to make episodes paperbacks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts