Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the Kindle is awesome - but I can't download any of the books I really want to read. They are not Kindle friendly. I've searched the kindle store and it seems my reading tastes are a little off center and I'm wondering what I'm doing with a reading device which is clearly geared toward total mainstream reading.  I already ordered a great leather cover which I would have to put on ebay (pain) but the basic question is - should I keep it?? Greatful for your thoughts. 

Also, the book I'm reading now is of course paper and I'm having trouble finishing it so I really haven't experienced reading on the kindle.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well, I'd say you have a few options:

1.  You can wait a little bit, and see if a growing Amazon Kindle database starts to satisfy your book needs.
2.  Look inot another e-reader, and sell your Kindle.
3.  Learn how to customize your Kindle, so you can pretty much read any e-book format, and therefore expand your inventory options. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Suzyz - send your books to (kindle name)@free.kindle.com.  They will be translated into kindle format and returned to you.  Somewhere there is a statement there is a .10 per book, but I have sent several hundred books for translation and not been charged.  This should take care of your problem.

BTW kindle name is i.e., [email protected] ------ or whatever your kindle is named at Amazon.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Is there a time limit that you can return and is it getting close? If you still have some time, I would try sending the books you are interested in to be converted. If you use the @free.kindle.com they don't charge. You can have them emailed straight to your Kindle and they say that you will charged .10, but I don't know of anybody that has been charged. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check out this link about Calibre:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5448.0.html

It is a free tool to allow you to convert many free books to a Kindle-friendly format. It also organizes them for you.

If you simply cannot find the books you want to read in any format, you can request the book be released in Kindle format through Amazon's site. There is/was a thread around here somewhere that if you posted the link to the book, others would also click the link to help push the publisher to release the book in kindle format. (This is commonly referred to a Voteing in Chicago, and voter-fraud everywhere else.)

Otherwise, your best bet would be to return the Kindle and keep an eye out for the books you want to be released in Kindle format, and as more are released in that format you could get another kindle. Perhaps a Kindle 3. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have you looked for your type of books elsewhere in e-book format?  Amazon is not the only place to find e-books.  Somewhere on this Board you will find links to other websites that may have what you are looking for.  If they are not in kindle format the suggestions above will help you to convert them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
kevindorsey said:
Well, I'd say you have a few options:

1. You can wait a little bit, and see if a growing Amazon Kindle database starts to satisfy your book needs.
2. Look inot another e-reader, and sell your Kindle.
3. Learn how to customize your Kindle, so you can pretty much read any e-book format, and therefore expand your inventory options.
I'd have to agree with Kevin on this one.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Suzyz said:
I think the Kindle is awesome - but I can't download any of the books I really want to read. They are not Kindle friendly. I've searched the kindle store and it seems my reading tastes are a little off center and I'm wondering what I'm doing with a reading device which is clearly geared toward total mainstream reading.
It's not the device that is clearly geared toward mainstream reading, it's the selection of books from Amazon. You need to look elsewhere to see if what you want is available there.

Could you explain what you mean by the books you want not being Kindle friendly? What format are they in?

Mike

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
You're getting some great suggestions here, Suzyz!

1.  Check the Book Lovers Links sticky post in the Book Corner to see if there are other sources for books you want.
2.  Try to get ebooks in other formats converted for the Kindle through the free conversion tool.
3.  Try to convert them yourself using some of the tools available.

If you let us know which books you want that aren't available at Amazon, our members may be able to help you find them!

Betsy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you transfer non kindle books to kindle?  I don't get it.

I want to read "Who Killed Callaway" by John Rhodes  and

"Making it New" the art & style of Sara and Gerald Murphy by Deborah Rothchild.

Neither of these books are on kindle - I really want to start reading on my kindle - I need a step by step instruction manual of how to do this.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If Amazon has them in non-Kindle format, you can make use of the "I'd like to read this on Kindle" link. I use that link a lot!

For instructions on getting other books, there are a few cheap Kindle manuals and how-to books available. One of them (linked at the bottom of all of these forum pages) was written by Leslie, one of the first members of the KB :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Just keep in Mind the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link does NOT automatically make the book available on kindle- it merely sends notification to the publisher/author to let them know there is an interest.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
A number of sites besides Amazon do sell ebooks, some of which have not yet been formatted specifically for the Kindle and therefore are not available through Amazon.  However, there are also formats that do not port well, or at all, to Amazon's proprietary requirements.  If you're not finding much of what you would normally read available through Amazon, then my next question would be to ask how technical you feel you are, because you'll have to be willing to search harder to find what you want, and at a minimum, you're going to have extra steps to get it onto your K2.  If you were counting specifically on the convenience factor that the Kindle normally provides, you may be disappointed.

Unfortunately, a search for "Who Killed Callaway?" ebook on Google isn't good news.  All I can find is the secure Adobe Reader PDF version, which as I understand it is not Kindle compatible (regular PDFs can be sent to the Kindle, but the formatting may be an issue).  "Making it New" (which looks really interesting!) doesn't appear to be in ebook format at all at this point, and appears image heavy enough that it wouldn't be my first choice to read in an electronic format.

A lot of us find with the Kindle that we're bridging into genres we haven't explored much before, thanks to the free & cheap books that have been available.  If it were me, I'd spend a bit of time in the Book Corner here, looking at people's recommendations, the Free book & Bargain book threads, and see if anything looked interesting.  I'd also look up every book I've read in the last year & see how many are accessible through the Kindle store, versus how many are sold elsewhere (just enter the title/author & "ebook" into Google, then take a look at the results).  If there's a lot that aren't available, especially on Amazon, and you're not finding new material that looks interesting, I'd be looking pretty hard at returning the K2 until more of what you want is available.

·
Registered
501 Posts
VictoriaP said:
A number of sites besides Amazon do sell ebooks, some of which have not yet been formatted specifically for the Kindle and therefore are not available through Amazon. However, there are also formats that do not port well, or at all, to Amazon's proprietary requirements. If you're not finding much of what you would normally read available through Amazon, then my next question would be to ask how technical you feel you are, because you'll have to be willing to search harder to find what you want, and at a minimum, you're going to have extra steps to get it onto your K2. If you were counting specifically on the convenience factor that the Kindle normally provides, you may be disappointed.

Unfortunately, a search for "Who Killed Callaway?" ebook on Google isn't good news. All I can find is the secure Adobe Reader PDF version, which as I understand it is not Kindle compatible (regular PDFs can be sent to the Kindle, but the formatting may be an issue). "Making it New" (which looks really interesting!) doesn't appear to be in ebook format at all at this point, and appears image heavy enough that it wouldn't be my first choice to read in an electronic format.

A lot of us find with the Kindle that we're bridging into genres we haven't explored much before, thanks to the free & cheap books that have been available. If it were me, I'd spend a bit of time in the Book Corner here, looking at people's recommendations, the Free book & Bargain book threads, and see if anything looked interesting. I'd also look up every book I've read in the last year & see how many are accessible through the Kindle store, versus how many are sold elsewhere (just enter the title/author & "ebook" into Google, then take a look at the results). If there's a lot that aren't available, especially on Amazon, and you're not finding new material that looks interesting, I'd be looking pretty hard at returning the K2 until more of what you want is available.
Excellent suggestion! This is what I've done for my own reading enjoyment, since some of my very favorite books are not available on Kindle (nor likely to become available - Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, to name a few). I've found entirely new genres of books to enjoy, ones I probably never would have bought in DTB form, before my wife and I got our Kindles!

I keep "clicking" on Amazon (DTBs that aren't in Kindle form), and keep hoping! Meanwhile, you'd have to pry my Kindle "from my cold, dead fingers!" I've become so appreciative of my Kindle reading, that unless it's Kindlized, I'm unlikely to read it now.

BTW: I "clicked" on both of your books on Amazon! Good luck!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Send the book to [email protected] it will be returned to you in kindle format.  Then if it is sent to your computer you transfer it to your kindle via the ubs cord.  All of the instruction manuals suggested here tell you how.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll look in Leslie's manual - I really don't want to return my Kindle, it's pretty awesome but I was afraid of this kind of problem - I spent an hour going through the kindle store last night and it was difficult to find something to buy. 

Can you put books you already bought on AMZN on your kindle after the fact? 

TIA

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Suzyz said:
I'll look in Leslie's manual - I really don't want to return my Kindle, it's pretty awesome but I was afraid of this kind of problem - I spent an hour going through the kindle store last night and it was difficult to find something to buy.

Can you put books you already bought on AMZN on your kindle after the fact?

TIA
No, you can't put books that you bought in a non-Kindle version on after the fact. You will need to rebuy the Kindle version. I have put books I downloaded in PDF format and sent to Amazon to be converted and they have been easy to read. They were not books with pictures so they coverted well. There is a lot of information on the board in the Book section and in the Tips, Tricks and Trouble-shooting threads.

·
Registered
376 Posts
As much as I love my Kindle, I don't think its the best reader for everyone.  Having available content that you want to read should be a key criteria for choosing in my opinion.  

While I don't mind occasionally converting a book, if a specific reader supports more of my reading without conversion, I would lean towards it.  

You may want to look at other on-line bookstores such as fictionwise and booksonboard to see if they have more of what you read (and in what formats).  For example, booksonboard has "Who Killed Callaway?" in secured Adobe pdf format.  If you find more of your books in that format, you may want to consider a Sony.  

1 - 20 of 35 Posts