Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard reference to the 30 day cliff for new releases, and also a mention that Amazon ignores the early days (a week) and only kicks in its algorithm at some later point in the first several weeks. Does anybody have any explanations, (assuming there is anything to these ideas)?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The thirty day cliff is when you fall off the hot new releases list. Quite a few readers browse that list, so the first 30 days are very important to the early success of your book. This is especially true if you are a new author.

The algorithms kick in on the first day, but they punish big spikes over consistent sales. So it would be better to get 40 sales on day one, 30 on day two and 30 on day three then to get 100 all on one day. This is why you see people spreading out promotions over several days.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
charlottehughes said:
I have heard reference to the 30 day cliff for new releases, and also a mention that Amazon ignores the early days (a week) and only kicks in its algorithm at some later point in the first several weeks. Does anybody have any explanations, (assuming there is anything to these ideas)?
I'm not sure about them ignoring the first week, but it does seem to take 2-3 days for the also-boughts to populate and for a book to start getting noticed if you're not sending newsletter subscribers or whatever the direct link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts