1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
If I ever attend a book signing, I'll buy the book in paper for the author to sign and also download it to read.  Nobody is writing on my $350 device or my $75 leather cover!  LOL

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I doubt signings will disappear; people will simply become more creative. They may not have book signings, but there's no limit to the things one can bring to have their favorite author sign.

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'll take a notebook and get the author to sign a page and then if I go to another signing, I'll have that author sign the next page.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not the sort who cares about autographs, but it strikes me that heck, that's why they make autograph books.

You go to a signing, you buy an Ebook version while there and you get the author to sign your autograph book.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
mwb said:
I'm not the sort who cares about autographs, but it strikes me that heck, that's why they make autograph books.
Took the words right out of my mouth...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
mwb said:
You go to a signing, you buy an Ebook version while there and you get the author to sign your autograph book.
I agree. The author can just sign an autograph book or headshot etc. for the fan. The fan will in turn buy the book on an ebook gift card type thing. Maybe like an itunes card but for that specific book.

Author has a sale, fan has an autograph. Everyone wins.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
If I ever attend a book signing, I'll buy the book in paper for the author to sign and also download it to read. Nobody is writing on my $350 device or my $75 leather cover! LOL
I would too. I have a couple of books that are signed by the author and I treasure them. I would still buy a paper book to have it signed.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
If I ever attend a book signing, I'll buy the book in paper for the author to sign and also download it to read. Nobody is writing on my $350 device or my $75 leather cover! LOL
Damn skippy, lets not get ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
This. If it's special enough to want a signature, it's probably special enough to have a nice hardback to put on the shelf.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I still collect autographed 1st editions so I will still attend book signings.

An autographed book will increase in value while the e-book will not.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
MichelleR said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/business/media/15kindle.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

At book events, bibliophiles typically wait in line to present books to pen-wielding authors, but as readers increasingly turn to electronic-book devices like the Kindle, it raises the question of whether book-signings may one day go the way of the inkwell.
In one of those funny coincidences, Sedaris's book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames was one of the very first books I bought for my Kindle, way back when. (It came out last summer.)

L

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
kevindorsey said:
Damn skippy, lets not get ridiculous.
kevin, I'm sorry you consider my position ridiculous. I spent a lot of money for what I have and I don't conisder having someone write on it. . . .even someone famous. . . . to be an enhancement.

marianner said:
This. If it's special enough to want a signature, it's probably special enough to have a nice hardback to put on the shelf.
Exactly!

RamTheHammer said:
An autographed book will increase in value while the e-book will not.
I think this is probably true too. . . .of course, my Kindle is a k1. . . . so it may be in the Smithsonian someday! :D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Actually, Ann, I think he agreed with you about not having someone sign the Kindle or cover....but hey, I could be wrong. :D

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I still buy hard copies for signings, but it isn't something I normally do.  I did just buy a signed book not three weeks ago, though, well after being too in love with my Kindle to want to read in paper.  Then I bought the ebook so I could read it.  :D

I think it would be fun to get people to sign a skin or the inside of your cover or something.  Heck, with the Amazon cover I'd get them to sign the outside in silver ink.  I think that would be even more fun, having a cover with multiple signatures than just a single book.  I would reserve physical Kindle signing on the backplate or even the "margins" on the front only for people I really like, most of whom are dead.  Pretty sure that honor could only go to Terry Pratchett among the living right now.

·
Registered
529 Posts
“The strangest thing I’ve signed is a woman’s artificial leg,” Mr. Sedaris continued in his e-mail message. “Last year in Austin I signed an actual leg, and its owner had my signature tattooed into her flesh. The night before that, a nursing mother offered me a taste of her pre-pumped breast milk, and I took her up on it.”

Uh I think I'm going to be sick after reading this part.... :-X

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are people who could sign Trixie. Okay, person. Joss Whedon could sign her. Maybe Dennis Lehane.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm a regular attendee at the mystery book conferences and so have quite a few signed books.  I haven't stopped since I got my kindle.  Basically the ebook version becomes my reading copy and then the hard copy gets signed and personalized.  These are the only DTB I plan on keeping.  For me an autograph book, photo, etc. is a poor substitute for having the author sign *their* book.  Part of that is the "I knew them when" syndrome, I guess.  A lot of the fun of a conference IMO is meeting and discovering new authors and then following their careers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts