Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
I believe you can report items to eBay...

(Meemo, your post posted twice. If you go to the other one, you can delete it.)

Betsy
I wondered if it did - I was having trouble getting it to go through. But I'm only seeing it once or I'd definitely delete the duplicate. Maybe if I delete the one I see...I'll try that...

And I'll see if I can find a way to report that eBay listing.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I don't really see why this is a reportable listing. The seller is clearly stating that there is a cracked screen and also clearly stating that the screen does not display anything. There is nothing wrong with the listing. You can't protect stupid people on ebay from bidding on stuff just because they refuse to read a listing. That is not the sellers fault.  ???

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shizu said:
It'll be more than $300 with shipping... I wonder if it'll be worth to buy broken kindle. I would buy new kndle.
Since it can't be repaired, it's definitely not worth it. I just tried reporting it, there's really no "violation" choice that covers it (so I used "excessive shipping"), and only had 100 characters to give more detail. Said it couldn't be repaired & shouldn't be allowed. But it probably doesn't fit into any of their categories to be able to legitimately remove it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Atunah said:
I don't really see why this is a reportable listing. The seller is clearly stating that there is a cracked screen and also clearly stating that the screen does not display anything. There is nothing wrong with the listing. You can't protect stupid people on ebay from bidding on stuff just because they refuse to read a listing. That is not the sellers fault. ???
Oh, I know it probably isn't legitimately reportable. Caveat emptor. I just wish there were a way to warn the bidders that they're bidding on something that can't be repaired. Even if they read the listing, if they don't do a little research (and clearly they didn't, at least the high bidder didn't) they won't realize they can't have it repaired. Heck, the seller might not realize it since he's in India (but if he does know it, then it is his "fault" for trying to rip someone off).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Isn't there an option to ask the seller a question?  If I remember correctly, the questions show up on the listing page.  So perhaps you could "ask"== Are you aware that the screen is not able to be repaired or replaced?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Veronica said:
Isn't there an option to ask the seller a question? If I remember correctly, the questions show up on the listing page. So perhaps you could "ask"== Are you aware that the screen is not able to be repaired or replaced?
I'm not sure the question shows up until it's answered, but I can try. I think it ends soon anyway...I was just venting more than anything...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
It seems as if awhile back that someone was looking for a non-repairable kindle for some kind of class or project, so if someone buys it perhaps it would be for that reason.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I hadn't really thought about this. Since Amazon seems to only replace broken Kindles, will they never replace one that was legally purchased elsewhere, even when it's in the warranty period? They never state this anywhere that I know of. In fact they never state anywhere that they will not fix the Kindle. Do they ever state that the initial Kindle warranty is non transferable? I'm not sure this is legal. Is there a written warranty anywhere? Is there really a warranty, other than they are being "nice". If they state that they have a warranty and they do not state that it is nontransferable, I'm not sure that they can avoid taking care of a legally purchased Kindle if it is in the warranty period (is there a warranty period?). Rather confusing to me!

Steve

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
ebay made it even harder now to contact potential bidders by blanking out the names.

Its frustrating sure, but this listing is so clear and short, there is no excuse for anyone to bid on that and not know what they get. I can see with this long and drawn out listings where somewhere buried in the text is the condition of an item, but this seller is very clear and honest.

The other thing is the bidders might not even be "real" bidders, they might just be shills to get the price up.

I am having a hard time anyone bidding on that listing and not knowing what it is. If they are that dumb, really they deserve to be taken just once so they learn the lesson. If they are too lazy to scroll down to at least read the first sentence on the listing, there is no help for people like that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Does Amazon keep track of the kindle, maybe by the serial number? If the kindle is gift or bought from ebay, how will Amazon know when that kindle is bought and length of the warranty? How would people who get that kindle know how long is the warranty?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Many people by broken kindles just to be able to get books from Amazon. Amazon has no idea the device is broken. They remove the DRM (I won't answer how) and then load the books onto other devices. They probably have not intention on getting it repaired. I sell frequently on eBay and that type of listing isn't against their policies, except for maybe excessive shipping, but that would be hard for that selling category.

Meemo said:
Since it can't be repaired, it's definitely not worth it. I just tried reporting it, there's really no "violation" choice that covers it (so I used "excessive shipping"), and only had 100 characters to give more detail. Said it couldn't be repaired & shouldn't be allowed. But it probably doesn't fit into any of their categories to be able to legitimately remove it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Shizu said:
Does Amazon keep track of the kindle, maybe by the serial number? If the kindle is gift or bought from ebay, how will Amazon know when that kindle is bought and length of the warranty? How would people who get that kindle know how long is the warranty?
I'm sure they must keep track of the serial numbers. I recently bought a mini computer on ebay and when there was a problem the manufacturer looked up the serial number to see if it was still under warranty. I guess my first question is - does the Kindle have a warranty and if so, for how long is it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Wheezie said:
Many people by broken kindles just to be able to get books from Amazon. Amazon has no idea the device is broken. They remove the DRM (I won't answer how) and then load the books onto other devices. They probably have not intention on getting it repaired. I sell frequently on eBay and that type of listing isn't against their policies, except for maybe excessive shipping, but that would be hard for that selling category.
Wow. Never thought some people might be using broken kindle to get ebooks and remove the DRM. But pay almost same price as new kindle?? I still would buy new one.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Atunah said:
ebay made it even harder now to contact potential bidders by blanking out the names.

Its frustrating sure, but this listing is so clear and short, there is no excuse for anyone to bid on that and not know what they get. I can see with this long and drawn out listings where somewhere buried in the text is the condition of an item, but this seller is very clear and honest.

The other thing is the bidders might not even be "real" bidders, they might just be shills to get the price up.

I am having a hard time anyone bidding on that listing and not knowing what it is. If they are that dumb, really they deserve to be taken just once so they learn the lesson. If they are too lazy to scroll down to at least read the first sentence on the listing, there is no help for people like that.
I agree - but that's not my point - they should obviously know they're buying a broken Kindle. What they might NOT know is that they can't get it repaired. Clearly, most people would think it through and try to investigate to see if it's possible to get it repaired. That's where caveat emptor kicks in. And of course, it's possible the seller (who says he's in India) might not know that it can't be repaired - he's in India and maybe he hasn't investigated but figures it's just easier to sell it & let someone else get it fixed.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stevene9 said:
I'm sure they must keep track of the serial numbers. I recently bought a mini computer on ebay and when there was a problem the manufacturer looked up the serial number to see if it was still under warranty. I guess my first question is - does the Kindle have a warranty and if so, for how long is it.
The thing in this particular case is that the warranty wouldn't cover it anyway. It's a cracked screen - unless it's a screen that cracked when Amazon shipped it to the original purchaser, it's not covered by the warranty (which is one year, by the way).

My understanding, though, is that in issues that the warranty does cover, the warranty transfers if someone purchases a used warranty. If I sold my K1 today, the buyer would still have until sometime in mid-August left on the warranty because it shipped to me last August. But the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage like breaking the screen.

G

·
Atunah said:

Contacting the bidders of an auction you aren't involved in is considered Auction Interference and Ebay will suspend you for it. Just let it be, you've done what you can.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts