Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I can read it. I started crying reading the description.

"you be good. I love you"

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hate when that happens  :'(  I remember teasing my mom when she use to cry at the end of almost every movie.  Now I catch myself doing it!  Must be a mom thing because I don't think I did it so much before I had my son.  However, there was that one time when Lassie got stuck in that hole.  :-[

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank you for posting, Kirstin. I started to cry reading the description too. I think I'll read this. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
As an owner of an African Grey for 19 years, I have read about Irene Pepperberg's experience with Alex for many, many years. He was truly an extraordinary bird. My husband heard an interview with Pepperberg the other day on NPR. He said it went for about 30 minutes and was very interesting. She told how they taught Alex, about experiences Alex had and many other things. I don't want to go into much detail and give the book away.

One thing she said though and I thought it was a "quirk" my Ruthie just had was about how Alex would teach himself something new. Alex would only work on new phrases after everyone left the lab and the humans were gone. Pepperberg and her coworkers left a tape recorder running and discovered this.

Tim and I found that very fascinating. When I wake in the morning and am just lying there, I hear Ruthie downstairs very quietly working on some new phrase. She only says it out loud to us when she has it perfect.

African Greys are truly exceptional birds!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suzanne said:
As an owner of an African Grey for 19 years, I have read about Irene Pepperberg's experience with Alex for many, many years. He was truly an extraordinary bird. My husband heard an interview with Pepperberg the other day on NPR. He said it went for about 30 minutes and was very interesting. She told how they taught Alex, about experiences Alex had and many other things. I don't want to go into much detail and give the book away.

One thing she said though and I thought it was a "quirk" my Ruthie just had was about how Alex would teach himself something new. Alex would only work on new phrases after everyone left the lab and the humans were gone. Pepperberg and her coworkers left a tape recorder running and discovered this.

Tim and I found that very fascinating. When I wake in the morning and am just lying there, I hear Ruthie downstairs very quietly working on some new phrase. She only says it out loud to us when she has it perfect.

African Greys are truly exceptional birds!

I thought about you when I saw the description as I had remembered your post in the Pets thread. :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chynared21 said:
I know. I downloaded the sample and know I will be all puffy eyed reading it.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
This sounds really good. I downloaded the sample... will have to wait until price comes down as it is priced above my spending limit for a book... I am trying very hard to stick to my spending guidlines!!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Suzanne, that is amazing about the birds teaching themselves new phrases in private. And Kirstin, you're right, "You be good. I love you" has me in tears, too! Does anyone know why he died prematurely?

L

·
Registered
835 Posts
She said they did a necropsy and it really didn't show much. The vet said it was most probably a heart arrythmia. The last "physical" he had which was about a month prior to his death and included blood work didn't show anything. The vet said that had she been there, there would have been nothing she could have done for him.

I really don't think this will be a "sad" book to read. I think it will be fascinating to read of Alex's intelligence and how he learned. Also, I would imagine she'll have it chock full of funny experiences with him.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anyone read 'Wesley the Owl' yet? I have samples on my kindle and it seems like a good book. Sounds a lot like 'Alex and Me'

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
We also own an African grey whose name is Hoagie.... and they really are incredible birds!  One of the major things they learned from working with Alex was that these birds actually think.  Up until Alex... it was pretty much an accepted belief that birds didn't have a thought process... that they only mimicked what they heard and were taught.  But Alex understood and could verbalize sizes, shapes, colors, what material something was made of ie: wood, paper, plastic.... so he revolutionized our knowledge about birds.... especially greys.  This book about Alex is recommended!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Snapcat said:
Anyone read 'Wesley the Owl' yet? I have samples on my kindle and it seems like a good book. Sounds a lot like 'Alex and Me'
I have the sample. I also have Dewey - the one about the library that adopted a cat. I am a sucker for animal stories.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts