Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introducing Son of Sedonia: A speculative fiction epic inspired by Blade Runner, City of God, and Black Hawk Down. Written, cover illustrated, and published by me, Ben Chaney. Thanks very much for taking a look...I put 6 years into trying to get this right, and it represents my best effort to make a real difference with Story.

Now available on Kindle and Amazon Print-on-Demand:
Son of Sedonia

Imagine growing up in the largest slum on the planet in the year 2080AD. 20 million people are your neighbors, huddled together in an ocean of rusted dwellings made from whatever Sedonia City, the towering metropolis in the distance, decides to throw away. Gang members, known as the T99s, are the heads of your community: smuggling tech, trafficking drugs, and fighting a constant guerilla war with the City's bio-augmented EXO police force. There is little hope for survival. None for escape to a better life beyond the half-mile high Border between city and slum. This is Matteo's world. A bright kid, but sick and weak since childhood, he is painfully dependent on Jogun: loving older brother, and hardened soldier for the T99s. When a luxury transport from Sedonia's aerial traffic crash-lands in Rasalla, it threatens to change Matteo and Jogun's fate forever. And all fates are connected.

The Dwellers of Rasalla, bound by family in the scrap, ashes, and dirt.
The Citizens of Sedonia, oblivious to danger in the buzzing twilight of the Neuro-Social Revolution.
The EXOs, placing themselves in harm's way to perform their duty to protect their homes and fellow officers.
And The Ruling Elite, whose long-buried secrets and desperate plans could spell the end of civilization...or a new beginning.

Son of Sedonia is an action-filled science fiction epic with a soul and a clear message. Its characters live, breathe, suffer, and love in their different worlds, each brought to the brink as the Third-World collides with the First. Their future could well be ours.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your time! Should you check it out, I hope you enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
67,456 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, and congratulations on the book! :)

This is just a friendly reminder that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long time since my first post! I wanted to return not only with the news that Son of Sedonia is now $2.99 on Kindle, but with the first of many concept illustrations I'll be doing to introduce the world and its characters.

With that, here is the setting of the Prologue: The Stepstones.

Think of this place as part Los Angeles River and part Ganges...in 2080AD. Desperate for water on the outskirts of Sedonia City, the Rasalla Slum dwellers pray daily at the Stepstones for rain. They huddle together in quiet lines at dawn, awaiting the chance to purchase a votive candle to add to the dwindling , polluted waters. Priestesses known as the Blue Ladies guide the prayers of the masses, dressed in blue as a symbol of health, purity, and the simple hope for the color to return to the sky. All, for now, is the rusted red of scrap, ashes, and dirt.

8-year-old Jogun has a prayer of his own...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the first character concept painting I've created for Son of Sedonia:

Sgt. John Kabbard

Sgt. John Kabbard is a 24-year veteran of Sedonia City's EXO paramilitary police force, charged with keeping the peace in the slums' Rasalla District. He's a legend among the EXOs and a symbol of fear for the dwellers of Rasalla. The rhythmic thump-whine-thump-whine of an EXO's Augmentor gear is reason enough to run and hide through the labyrinthine slums. The Sergeant's shrewd tactics and cold brutality can mean a death sentence.

But behind the legend, the man is tired. Frustrated. Waiting for his turn to catch a bullet between the Augmentor plates. Arrests make headlines, but never an actual difference. Until one day, a high-profile murder case presents an unexpected opportunity...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been a little too hectic lately to finish another illustration, but this review popped up on the Amazon page. I never dreamed of getting reviews like this:

Karl A Newquist (Cary, NC, US) - "I have read the other reviews and agree with all of them. I read a wide variety of books from classics to best sellers to science fiction to murder mysteries and everything in between. This book is an outstanding read regardless of whether you are into science fiction.

The character development, plot and creative writing are exceptional. What really sets this book apart is that you never get what you expect. The twists and turns exceed any mystery I have ever read. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would be proud of Son of Sedonia's unpredictabilty. Isaac Asimov would be enthralled by the futuristic picture the author paints and how the reader can see it so vividly.

Another fantastic feature is the book's complexity. The science fiction setting and the technology is just part of that complexity. Its the multiple characters and the parts they play, the scene changes and their coloring, and most of all, the intricately woven story that pulls everything together even tho at times you wonder where is a particular part playing in the whole scheme. And the ending....

Please read this book! It is quite possibly the best book I have read in at least 10 years. My only wish is if there was a way to get these reviews read by many more people so they will read it and have the opportunity to be mesmerized. I will try social media outlets but this needs someone in big book review shoes to put the word out."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts