Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Christopher Moore book:

It comes out next week and is up for preorder. I was about to preorder it when I saw the price tag ...14.84!! My god..thats just dumb. Amazon lost my preorder. I will have to wait till it goes down in price *sigh*

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
chobitz said:
The new Christopher Moore book:

It comes out next week and is up for preorder. I was about to preorder it when I saw the price tag ...14.84!! My god..thats just dumb. Amazon lost my preorder. I will have to wait till it goes down in price *sigh*
Frustrating! I would guess it'll come down to $9.99 fairly quickly, let us know when it does!

Betsy

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've noticed most of the new release books (the ones that I read) start out at a high price and once they are on the bestseller list the price comes down to 9.99. Maybe that will be the case for your book.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I've been noticing the same.. new books are starting out high.. and I'm not buying them!

And then people are insisting on putting in low star reviews to spite Amazon, but really, it just means we cannot depend on the reviews to be about the book.  The Yankee Years, for example.. last I looked had one two star review only and they admitted it was just to complain about Amazon's greed, that the book was good if you are interested in the topic.

I guess they are targetting the same people who must buy a new hardback and cannot wait for it to go on the best seller list, when it will be discounted.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It's marketing at it's "best". There are no price guarantees on anything. There is a strong suggestion, almost always followed, that best sellers will be $9.99 or less. Anything not on the best seller list has no pricing policy other than capitalist marketing, as it should be. With new hardbound books listing in the mid-upper $2x range an introductory ebook price of $14.84 makes sense. It is far less than the hardbound copy and maximizes revenue from those who won't wait on the price drop. While it's unpleasant from a buyer standpoint it's not a pricing gaffe, it's intelligent marketing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts