Kindle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I "celebrate" by writing some greeting-card ideas, because they are short and I can polish them quickly and be finished. It gives me a sense of completion before I go back and work on the manuscript again from page 1.

·
Registered
466 Posts
ilyria_moon said:
Me, too. Same with recording music. When it's done, it's not really done, because it needs editing. When it's edited, it's not really done, because it needs publishing, and then marketing and promoting. It's never done, really.
That. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Def wait a bit. Sometimes, the ending you thought would work turns out not to be an ending at all, or you think up a new middle chapter and so on.

When I finished Pandora's Sister, a week later a new, revised ending hit me during my daily bike ride. It was much better than the one I wrote. So I changed things, and started editing from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Um, I meant that I, too, like Southerntype, as a result of her declared preference for Nutella.

Nutella lovers unite?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well, I've written several short stories, but only one novel.  Finished it last month (yay me!).

But I gotta say, I didn't celebrate.  I know it's a great accomplishment, but it was just something I decided to do, and I did it.  I've done a lot of challenging things as projects for fun, work, or just for the bucket list.  Those things were all difficult, but they were goals I set for myself, and I did what I had to do to accomplish them.  Maybe I'm just weird, but I tend to just give myself a pat on the back, take a picture or make some kind of bragging-rights keepsake, then just move on to the next thing.

I know, totally boring.  What can I say?

·
Registered
509 Posts
The moment I finish, I usually feel a sense of emptiness. I've spent so much time with that book and those characters, when it's done, I'm just like "well, now what?" I try to put it away for a week before editing, but that never works. I typically end up starting the next day. I usually don't celebrate until the book is published, then I buy a new book and give myself a day off to read (crazy, I know).

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I type "The End" I usually sit back and zone out because I can't believe it's done. (I suppose it's not, since there is that pesky editing and all the rewrites to deal with ;), but that's another thread.) It really is a monumental feeling for me, and one I still don't know how to deal with. After a brief moment (okay, maybe it's more like an hour) of self congratulations, I go inside the house (I write almost exclusively on my patio), stand in front of the hubby until he notices I've come out of my cave, and say, "it's done." He usually smiles and replies, "Let's go celebrate." (This usually consists of beer and hot wings - we TOTALLY party like rock stars :-\.)

Belly full, I come home to pace and try to keep myself from immediately going back to rewrite the entire thing - then I sleep like the dead.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts