Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family got together this weekend for a birthday, and it was very Kindle-intensive - there were four Kindle's present - two K2's and two K1's. It was a great opportunity to compare the two models, and to compare the units within the same model. Since the screen contrasts issue has come up here and on the Amazon forums, we all tested the whole lineup for contrast, background shade, text darkness, etc.

One interesting discovery we made was that the two K2's were very noticeably different in background darkness. One was pretty close in background to the two K1's - a little darker, but not much. The other was clearly darker, enough that we all could see it and pick out which was which. The lighter K2 would've been acceptable to me, but the darker one wasn't. I tried reading on it several times, under different light conditions, and it was just too much of a strain on my eyes. It makes me wonder about the disparity in feedback on the K2 - some think the screen contrast is very close to their K1, others say it is much darker. Seeing one of each, I wonder if Amazon has been shipping more than one manufacturing batch with different screen qualities.

So we did the Kindle version of musical chairs. I had a K1, as did my sister. My mother had just gotten her K2 (the light one). I had been shipped a K2 (the dark one), because Amazon sent it out two weeks ahead of the estimated date (in the meantime, I had bought a used K1 and I was tardy in cancelling my K2 order.) My brother had zippo.

So my sister, who's eyes must be better than mine, decided she wanted my K2 even with the darker background, so she bought if from me. She talked my brother into buying her K1 for $200. So we had a mass flurry of deregistering and registering, and when the smoke cleared, we all had the Kindle we wanted, and Amazon had some more of our money from buying more books. So now we're officially a four-Kindle family.

Sam

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they seemed to enjoy the companionship. We're pretty sure that last night, when we were all asleep, they all got together and, well....did things. Bad things.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
honyock said:
Yes, they seemed to enjoy the companionship. We're pretty sure that last night, when we were all asleep, they all got together and, well....did things. Bad things.
LOL :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went to dinner with my extended family last night and found out my cousin has a KK, the first time I had seen a Kindle other than my own K2.

I was really amazed at how sensitive the next page buttons are, I can definitely see why people complained!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Very interesting story.  Thank you to your family for making the comparison and telling us about it.
deb

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
We had a semi-Kindlefest this weekend, too. I bought a previously loved Kindle for my niece from one of our members. I was going to see her this weekend and had decided to give it to her as an early birthday present (her birthday is in June). I wanted to see her be excited when she opened it and I am never with her on her birthday. She has wanted a Kindle since she saw her cousin's last summer.

When she opened it, she was floored. I said, "I expected a shriek" and so she did shriek, on cue. LOL. She immediately named it "Bridget" and we got on the computer to register it to her mom's account. Within 10 minutes they had bought two books and downloaded a bunch of samples. Apparently, after we left, she downloaded even more samples...she has the bug.

All in all, a big success. It was a fun afternoon.

L

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had 2 Kindles 2's. The wireless did not work on the first one so Amazon sent me a replacement. The first seemed to be a couple of shades lighter.  Actually, the white plastic also seems slightly brighter too. I think they were probably manufactured several weeks apart. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference in legibility though.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
How neat!  We had a Kindlefest here too  ;D  All one of us got together and had a ball buying  ??? ok downloading free books and moving books to the "card" - we all only have one K1, but it was a blast!  Just wish I could get my friends here to join the KB and we could really have a Kindlefest  8) they are a bunch of duds  ::) ::) ::) so they probably wouldn't fit here.

Whenever the K1 prices drop some more I am going to get an extra K1 for myself, just in case, and let my cousin use it until I can get back NOB to get it from her - if possible - this is the same cousin whose library was destroyed by Hurricane Ike and she is slowly replacing it.  Can't afford a kindle as she needs a new house, clothes, dishes, you name it! But we read the same things.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I showed a friend from out of town mine yesterday and she is just finishing up on her second master's degree.  After 2 minutes with my kindle it's what she wants for her graduation present. 

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jeremy81 said:
I've had 2 Kindles 2's. The wireless did not work on the first one so Amazon sent me a replacement. The first seemed to be a couple of shades lighter. Actually, the white plastic also seems slightly brighter too. I think they were probably manufactured several weeks apart. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference in legibility though.
I guess the whole legibility thing is also a factor of each person's vision. My eyes just couldn't handle the darker K2 background. But my sister, who saw the same difference, had no problem with the darker screen.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
honyock said:
Those Kindles are related, like cousins. That just sounds wrong!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kim said:
Those Kindles are related, like cousins. That just sounds wrong!
I know...very wrong. We think it was the two K2's. The next morning, we woke up and when we tried to use the text-to-speech, the computerized woman did nothing but sigh a lot, and the robot man refused to read the text and just kept demanding that she make him a ham sandwich.

Also, my brother's cell phone was lying in the middle of the room with its battery case off, and it's screen was frozen with the text "NONONONO!!!"

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Oh boy, Honyock, I can tell you'll fit right in around here.  But, I'm not sure EV, BJ, Vampy, and the other boys really need another cohort  :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kim said:
Oh boy, Honyock, I can tell you'll fit right in around here. But, I'm not sure EV, BJ, Vampy, and the other boys really need another cohort :)
Sounds cool...I'll look forward to bumping into them. And whether they need another cohort...there's always room in this world for more dirty jokes!

Sam

·
Registered
289 Posts
I showed my mother my new K2 last week and she ran right back to work and ordered one for delivery last Saturday.  She then gave my sister her K1, so now we are a 3-Kindle family.  I'm sure my father won't be too much farther behind.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is also my goal to socialize my Kindle.  He has never interacted with another.

Waiting for the price to drop so I can buy one for my mom as a present.  My sole motivation--sharing books!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts