Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's now *less* than 3 weeks until Christmas.

I continue to be optimistic about finding an e-book reader of some kind or other under my Christmas tree. :)

I need to plan what my first downloads will be.

First, of course, will be Leslie's The Amazon Kindle FAQ. (Any way to autograph that, Leslie?) :)

Next I think will be a version of the Bible - probably Eugene Peterson's The Message - so I can pull my Kindle out in Session meetings. No use in having a good gadget if you can't show it off regularly.

I like biographies, historical accounts, and thrillers. The geek in me also likes tech manuals, so I may find some good reference manuals for Java and PHP.

I'd also like to have the books from our KindleBoards resident authors among my 'first ten'.

Any suggestions to round out my first couple of dozen downloads?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
There are definitely some good tech books available on the Kindle.  I downloaded some Dreamweaver samples.

Also, I believe for "The Message" , only the New Testament version is available on the Kindle?  Which may be all you want.

Betsy

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Betsy the Quilter said:
Also, I believe for "The Message" , only the New Testament version is available on the Kindle? Which may be all you want.
Betsy
Oh, that is odd. You're right, I just checked. Okay, maybe I'll have to throw the NIV in those early downloads too.

B

·
0 Posts
When you say "thrillers," do you mean techno-thrillers like Tom Clancy's?  Spy thrillers like John leCarre's?  Psychological/crime thrillers like the later works of Peter Straub?  Vaguely occullt/sci-fi thrillers like Dean Koontz?

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Silly BJ: Thriller like the Michael Jackson video.

(Someone else can go find it on the web. . . .)

Ann :)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Harvey, I made a post a few weeks back about free bibles (click here). Perhaps you might want to try those out first since they are free. There are two versions in the post: King James and New English. I use the new English, and while the table of contents page isn't ideal, free is free. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Silly BJ: Thriller like the Michael Jackson video.

(Someone else can go find it on the web. . . .)

Ann :)
Doh!

Good one, Ann. ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Harvey said:
Oh, that is odd. You're right, I just checked. Okay, maybe I'll have to throw the NIV in those early downloads too.
I love my NIV and now that I am fast at navigating I find the scriptures faster than the DT versions around the table at bible study. My problem with free bibles woud be they are too slow to navigate.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Dori said:
I love my NIV and now that I am fast at navigating I find the scriptures faster than the DT versions around the table at bible study. My problem with free bibles woud be they are too slow to navigate.
I am really enjoying the NIV version also. easy to navigate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Harvey-

I hope you are right about your Christmas gift and that it will be a Kindle.

Here's a book that I have downloaded and read and REALLY enjoyed. There are several others in sequence after this one.

A second one, Old Nathan, is also very well done- sort of series of connected Appalachian folktales with some fantasy thrown in. Get it free at Baen here: http://www.webscription.net/p-302-old-nathan.aspx
Pay no attention to the cheezy cover illustration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts