Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for news on when I might expect my Kindle, I thought I'd browse through reviews elsewhere online, not just KB.  I found dozen of reviews (containing nothing much new that I hadn't learned here on KB), but I also found three or four other boards, chat groups, special interest groups, that sort of thing, all dealing with the Kindle.  So of course I read a few pages of postings in each one (except for one which wouldn't let me read anything unless I joined first). 

I was appalled.  So much negativity.  So much rudeness.  Not a bit of humor or good-natured kidding, and if something was off-topic it was generally some insulting comment about another member.  After spending a few days here on KB, it was like a cold shower to read postings by such crabby people.

So I just had to say  --  Thank you all for being nice Kindleboarders, and making this a fun place to hang out! 

(On the other hand, I need to get some work done again someday...  maybe it shouldn't be *quite* so much fun...)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have found the same thing. At first I thought Mobileread was more geeky and for folks that were looking to hack their Kindles for other uses; but overall, the tone is definitely more negative and unfriendly.

I like it here - but I am not getting anything much else done (including reading on my KK).

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Definitely the same experience here......KB is a wonderful community with a GREAT MOD staff to keep us in line. And I think limiting the politics/religion/negative topics is a great idea.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I agree, and I'll add this: the design of this board is exceptionally good. After a little familiarization, it's a joy to use. Some of those other boards are so clunky I end up reviewing the vocabulary I learned in the Navy.

Bravo Zulu, Harvey!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I used to read Amazon's Kindle forum, but the comments were so hateful and nasty! Then I found KB and I haven't looked back since :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Surprisingly enough the Amazon boards seem to be the worst.................which I find odd considering they're done through the makers of Kindle.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I think having good moderators helps.

Not in the sense of active enforcement of rules, but just to set the mood for the board by being positive and friendly.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I'm new here, but I've seen other Kindle boards and I definitely agree--the folks here are great. I love the helpfulness and the positive attitude. I don't stay on boards where the people are nasty and rude.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
MichelleR said:
I think having good moderators helps.

Not in the sense of active enforcement of rules, but just to set the mood for the board by being positive and friendly.
It's in our best interests...we don't want this to happen:

Betsy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I don't think we can thank our mods often enough for the tone they have set here on the Boards.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I agree this is the best Kindle group anywhere. The people in this group are nice and will always help when you need it. Harvey and the mods are the best. ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
chynared21 said:
All I can say is...thank goodness for Leslie's "spam." :p
Amen, sister, amen.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thank you everyone, for the very kind words. We work hard to make this a fun and friendly place. Glad to know it is paying off.

L

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like many of you, i have been to other boards. The people here have always been friendly and welcoming and I have enjoyed many laughs and learned a great deal about my Kindle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I now use Kindleboards exclusively. The top reasons for this are the friendly atmosphere, terrific moderators, overall design and organization, and the Kindleboards Link-Maker.  I buy just about all of my books from the Kindleboards site. It is so nice to view a recommendation on this site and to then have the ability to view the book details and purchase it right then without having to go look it up on Amazon. Plus, I like the fact that Kindleboards receives something from Amazon for books purchased this way. I'm surprised that Amazon hasn't incorporated this feature into their discussion pages but it doesn't matter because I'd much rather get my recommendations here! The few times that I have gone over to the other side in the past I've always ended up saying, "Why am I even here... take me back to Kindleboards!"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts