Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to find out if others have a stack of books that have fallen to the wayside since the Kindle arrived. I have the last three Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire books and Waiter Rant begging for me to read them, but I'm very addicted to my Precious now.

Does anyone else have poor dead tree books that are jealous, by no fault of their own, of your Kindle? ;D

Nemo

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mnemosyne said:
Just curious to find out if others have a stack of books that have fallen to the wayside since the Kindle arrived. I have the last three Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire books and Waiter Rant begging for me to read them, but I'm very addicted to my Precious now.

Does anyone else have poor dead tree books that are jealous, by no fault of their own, of your Kindle? ;D

Nemo
I have about 20 or 25 in a stack by my nightstand. Books I'd picked up that I thought looked interesting. Before Kindle, I'd sort through and pick one to read whenever I'd finished a book. I'm afraid I may never read them now.... or I'll look for Kindle additions.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a whole shelf of unread books. I finally realized that I was never going to get to them so if I found them for the Kindle I downloaded them. Still have about 50 that aren't on there yet. Poor things, I think they will still be there a year from now. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will never be free of Dead Tree Books.  As a teacher, I have a rather extensive library.  Once every year or so, I go through all of the dead tree books and take some to the used book store to make room for more dead tree books.  My hope is that my Kindle will reduce the number of dead tree books in my library over time.  I am actually neglecting a dead tree book right now while I read a book on my Kindle.  I will probably go back and forth for a while, because my pre-kindle reading list is pretty backed up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I actually took some to the used bookstore a couple weeks ago because they had been there so long. I have had my Kindle since February and think I have read maybe 2 dead tree books since then. They're not feeling the love anymore! ::)

G

·
They'll rip that dead tree out of my cold, dead hand.

I will always buy new "real" books.  And never get rid of most of the hundreds cluttering our library already.  I re-read a lot, and many of the books in our library are not (and may never be) available on Kindle.

And I can't conveniently slip my Kindle into the inner breast pocket of my jacket, the way I can a paperback.  Since I almost never leave the house for more than a couple of hours without a book, this is a real consideration.

For me, the Kindle is a money-saving device, not the be-all-end-all solution to reading.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
They'll rip that dead tree out of my cold, dead hand.
What's really sad is that I've replaced some of my books with Kindles and I can't bring myself to get rid of the DTB.

I will always buy new "real" books. And never get rid of most of the hundreds cluttering our library already. I re-read a lot, and many of the books in our library are not (and may never be) available on Kindle.
Another problem. I probably have about 1500 DTBs on my shelves and at least 90% will never be Kindlized. But I am determined to only purchase Kindle books so I can at least keep the hordes from multiplying.
And I can't conveniently slip my Kindle into the inner breast pocket of my jacket, the way I can a paperback. Since I almost never leave the house for more than a couple of hours without a book, this is a real consideration.
Hah! Finally, a good reason for carrying a purse. I can easily slip the Kindle into the extra tote bag I always tote around.

I only have about 20 DTBs in my TBR pile. I doubt if I'll get to them now.

G

·
^^^ I have exactly two "real" books in my to be read stack.  And they'll both get read.  *shrug*  Like I said, Kindle is merely a money-saving device for us, as we spend an average of about a thousand dollars a year on books.  We figure it will bring our total down to about $700/year.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
^^^ I have exactly two "real" books in my to be read stack. And they'll both get read. *shrug* Like I said, Kindle is merely a money-saving device for us, as we spend an average of about a thousand dollars a year on books. We figure it will bring our total down to about $700/year.
Ahh, between all the great books that KindleBoarders recommend, and all the kool accessories the KindleBoarders find and report, I'm not sure it's saving me money like I thought it would!

Betsy
who's afraid to look at her Amazon totals....

G

·
I'm not sure it's actually going to save us any money either.  Rainbow has extremely poor impulse control, which doesn't fit in well with the whole Kindle ease-of-buying-books paradigm.  We'll see how it washes out.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I'm not sure it's actually going to save us any money either. Rainbow has extremely poor impulse control, which doesn't fit in well with the whole Kindle ease-of-buying-books paradigm. We'll see how it washes out.
Sure, blame the whole impulse control issue on Rainbow. ;D Rainbow? Wanna defend yourself?

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
I have many unread paper books. They will be read . . .eventually. My practice is that I carry the Kindle around to read whenever. But at night before I go to sleep, I read a couple of chapters of one of my unread paper books. Right now I'm on Dust, a Richard Jury novel by Martha Grimes. I've not bought a lot of new paper books since I got the Kindle, but if there's a book I want to read and it's not (and likely won't be) Kindlized, I'll buy it in paper. Books will probably eventually go the way of scrolls, but not anytime soon, I'm thinking. Plus I have many classics in paper versions. . .the neighborhood kids know to come to me when they need a copy of something for school . . . .I've usually got one they can borrow.

Ann

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was a member of the science fiction book club, so I have quite a few hardbacks waiting on me.  But I like the kindle so much, I'd rather read "new" books on there.  I hope all of my favorites are available on kindle one day.  Most are, but there are some that aren't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts