Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearing the finish line on my spy novel. Here is a concept cover (I haven't bought the image yet so forgive the quality/watermark.)

What do you think? Image/fonts/etc?

The novel is filled with action and adventure, and although I really like this image, I'm sure it says THRILLER.
I've been trying to avoid the cliche cover with men holding guns in front of Washington landmarks, but maybe that's the best way to say "This is a spy thriller!"

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
My quick thoughts:

1) Love the image.  I think it matches the spy thriller genre.
2) Don't love how the title butts up against the edge.
3) Not a fan of the font on top.

Just my opinions.  Good luck.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I like the image.  Nice symbolism with the infiltrating pawn. :)

I'm no expert on the conventions for spy novels, but maybe make the title a little bit smaller?  It's running right up to the edge of the image.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys have really helped with my concerns about the image, so thanks a lot.
When I get a chance to put together another try at this I'll post the new one for everyone to see.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'll concur with what's been said already. I like the concept, but the "agents" is very hard to read.

But are you wedded to that title?

·
Registered
499 Posts
This may be just a function of how my monitor is rendering colors, but I thought the red "AGENTS" on black was a bit difficult to read. Perhaps pick up one of the lighter/brighter shades of red in the red pawn to make the word stand out a bit better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I changed a few fonts and made the red ever-so-slightly orange-er. Still just playing around, so I'm sure it'll change, but this is what I'm at so far.

I think i'm done with cover design for the day, but I'll gladly read any more feedback. I'm sure I'll end up playing with fonts again tomorrow or Monday. (fooling around with covers is much more fun than interior layout stuff ;D )

·
Registered
154 Posts
Shaun4 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I changed a few fonts and made the red ever-so-slightly orange-er. Still just playing around, so I'm sure it'll change, but this is what I'm at so far.

I think i'm done with cover design for the day, but I'll gladly read any more feedback. I'm sure I'll end up playing with fonts again tomorrow or Monday. (fooling around with covers is much more fun than interior layout stuff ;D )
I love the overall feel of this - to me it says suspense, mystery and intrigue :) I love the red pawn, and they way you have incorporated the colour in the title. Have you tried playing around with having the title at the top of the picture? Then maybe have the tag under the picture. possibly in the red/orange you have used. I think this would look very effective too, and would add an extra layer of balance to the colour. levels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like the font change. It's more legible, but the centering looks off. I can see from the bigger image that it's correct, but the slant of the A and the Y make it appear off. You might want to eye ball it rather than relying on guides.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Some suggestions for you to play with and see if it makes a difference:

Have you tried swapping up the order?
Enemy Agents
Author
PAWN
Tagline

It's just an idea, because the way those elements are arranged my eye naturally goes top to bottom. It's a bit awkward to read the tagline before I've even read the title. In other books where the tag line is up top, the elements of the cover are scaled to a way to draw my eye first to the image or the title then back up to the tag line.

If you buy the super high res image, you can play around with zooming in on those pawns. I think if the pawns were zoomed in on a bit, maybe showing the red one and only two or three black ones might make the cover more eye catching.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Love the image.  And I liked how the title butted up against the edge in the original.  I thought it gave a sense of tension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts