Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am on a tighter budget and can't really spend $500 on new cover at the moment.

This one is basically "homemade" although I did have some help with the text.

Does it compare with the quality of my other covers? Use it or pay $500 for a better one?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

I love it! The image style is different (face closeup rather than scenery shot) but the text has enough personality to carry the branding by itself.

It looks professional and clean. The only thing I'm noticing is that the author name seems a little larger/thicker and the title is lower on the cover. But if details like that don't bother you, I'd say you're good to go!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Your other three covers are excellent. They stand out, begged to be clicked on. This one is good, but generic, and might fade into the crowd even though it's branded. If it's for a short story/novelette and you know readers of your previous work will buy it regardless of cover, I'd say it's suitable. If it's a longer length novel, I'd advise you to pay the $500.

Or maybe find a middle ground? Ask if your cover artist (for a reasonable fee) will let you use the art from the previous books, but use a close up of a specific aspect of one of the pictures. The kneeling woman and the light burst over the city for example.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Miss_Fletcher said:
Your other three covers are excellent. They stand out, begged to be clicked on. This one is good, but generic, and might fade into the crowd even though it's branded. If it's for a short story/novelette and you know readers of your previous work will buy it regardless of cover, I'd say it's suitable. If it's a longer length novel, I'd advise you to pay the $500.

Or maybe find a middle ground? Ask if your cover artist (for a reasonable fee) will let you use the art from the previous books, but use a close up of a specific aspect of one of the pictures. The kneeling woman and the light burst over the city for example.
Thanks all for the feedback. I am sure you all know that covers can be pain to get right and of course expensive. :mad:

This would be #5 in the series so it would most likely be read by previous readers. Worst case scenario, I could always go back and replace it with a different version. The beauty of e-books, so easy to update and revise :)

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
A better question: Why on Earth would you spend money on the others, when you can do just as well or better on your own?

This new cover rocks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wayne Stinnett said:
A better question: Why on Earth would you spend money on the others, when you can do just as well or better on your own?

This new cover rocks!
Thanks Wayne! The artist originally charged a fair price but not has more than TRIPLED his fees so safe to say I am exploring other options ;D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
CJ, I think you have your author name in bold. If so, take it off to match the others. And nudge up the title as said previously.

While I would have preferred to see the branding of the full figure continue, it is a very nice cover. Well done. It doesn't give the same amount of info to a reader as the other covers do, but as you say, it's number 5 so people should already know what they are in for. I would recommend doing your next covers all full face so that when the series is looked at as a whole, this one won't jump out but will seem to be part of a new set with a slightly different look.. You could also reduce the size of the face and try fading in some background on the edges. You could actually use one of your previous covers for that. Make it a layer, add a mask and fill it with black so that it's hidden, and then with a soft white brush set at around 30%, begin to bring in some of the background, avoiding the title etc....

D

·
0 Posts
The text is too close to the edges so that Createspace would likely reject it, should you use them for a paperback ed.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Looks great.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I would love to see some ruins to the model's left (reader's right). And you always have a bluey - teal-ey element in the other covers which isn't in this one. You have a lot of earth tones in this cover. Which maybe is your intent, but one of the things I see a lot in series covers is either a repeated visual motif with a varying color palette or a common color palette with a varying visual motif, but when the colors vary, they vary only in value and not in intensity (saturation). On my monitor, the model's hair has a violet cast. I would personally like to see that more as a black but that's just me.

I like the text effect.

Generally good to go after you fix the text alignment to the other books in the series.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts