Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I only read ebooks, my wife wants me to give my 2000+ books to the library so she can reclaim our basement. I have never given away books, I guess you could say I am a collector. For a short while I even collected old books, like from the 16th century to the 19th century. It will be very hard for me to give them away. Of course I would keep a few of my favorite books that I like to reread and are not yet out in Kindle format. What have you folks done with your books, or is it too soon to even consider such a move?

Steve

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't know about valuable books but, I routinely donate books to my local library even if they don't keep it they can get money by selling it at the annual book sale.  That way the books are still being read and I can promote reading for many non Kindle owning barbarians.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I gave them all to the library over the last year.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It's weird how so many of us have an emotional attachment to our DTBs.  I also feel the need to keep every book I've every read.  But the Kindle is helping me realize that I have no reason to hang on to them or to let them consume all my office space.  

And I think it's such a good idea to give them to charity so others can have the same enjoyment that I did.  OK, so, I haven't given them away yet, but I'm getting closer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
stevene9 said:
Now that I only read ebooks, my wife wants me to give my 2000+ books to the library so she can reclaim our basement. I have never given away books, I guess you could say I am a collector. For a short while I even collected old books, like from the 16th century to the 19th century. It will be very hard for me to give them away. Of course I would keep a few of my favorite books that I like to reread and are not yet out in Kindle format. What have you folks done with your books, or is it too soon to even consider such a move?

Steve
....depends upon what she has in mind for the basement... (laundry? home theater? bar? strobes and poles? ;D)

Seriously, tell her how much it would cost to replace your whole DTB library on the Kindle, and maybe she'll reconsider.

Maybe it depends on how they are arranged - in boxes stacked everywhere, or in nice floor-to-ceiling shelves?

Or you could rent one of those storage garages, put a nice lazyboy and a fridge in there and you're all set.

Don't give in.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I haven't given up my books yet. There are some books I don't think I could give up. I have 3 books autographed by Nora Roberts that my 3 daughters stood in line for hours to give me for Christmas one year. There is no way that I could give them away.

Some I am replacing on the Kindle and those I'll take to work and share with my co-workers.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Our country is in very difficult times.  Across my state I hear stories about counties running out of money.  One of the universal cuts they make is to their county libraries.  They reduce hours.  They reduce the amount of money that can be spent on new books.  Therefore I find small rural counties within an easy drive and  donate my books to them.  They can use the books in their lending program, or they can sell the books.  Two of the libraries also accept jigsaw puzzles.  They have a table set up and people come in and do puzzles.  There are a select few that I will always keep. 

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wait a minute people we are missing the important issue here.

Bosslady:  Tell us more about the strobes and pole.

:eek: :) :D ;D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was just discussing this with my hubby today!  I started a library at the non profit that I work for and have donated 500+ books...and still have sooooo many dtbs left.  I didn't really realize how many books I had until a colleague of mine and I counted out the books for the office library and figured out that I brought in over 500 books. ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
we recently donated over 300 books to goodwill. I called several used book stores & libraries, all of them had specific guidelines to follow in selections they'd accept. I understand their need for such but for convenience sake I chose to make one trip, park extremely close to the drop off area & give to goodwill. Many many excellent books in there that hopefully will find good homes.

looking at our bookshelves now you'd never know we donated. They're still full. Funny thing, one used bookseller was giving me a list of books they'd accept --- they were all authors I already knew I wanted to keep.

sooooooooo difficult to give them up & obviously can't give them all up!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Many of my books I refuse to give up... but some I do donate. Sometimes I will give to the public library, some to the school (have to be careful there on what I give them!) and sometimes i give to the battered women's shelter.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Gruntman said:
Wait a minute people we are missing the important issue here.

Bosslady: Tell us more about the strobes and pole.

:eek: :) :D ;D
I wondered if I was the only person who saw that.

On topic, I still have all my DTBs. Many of them aren't replaceable on the Kindle yet, and some of them (like my signed Douglas Adams) won't be replaceable at all. And since Douglas Adams died, I can't even use Vampy's suggestion and get him to sign my oberon cover.
TM, do battered women's shelters really take used books? Our ladies' aid society recently adopted the local shelter as a mission for this year, and they were looking for suggestions on what to donate (after things like soap and pillows and immediately necessary things).

B

·
0 Posts
Orrr.... finish the basement and turn it into a library/den/billiards room.

With a pole. ;D

·
Registered
679 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
TM, do battered women's shelters really take used books? Our ladies' aid society recently adopted the local shelter as a mission for this year, and they were looking for suggestions on what to donate (after things like soap and pillows and immediately necessary things).
Ours does! And i think it is a great thing for them to have... gives those using the shleters a nice escape at times into a book. They also take toys, clothes, DVDs and about anything as long as in good shape and working. What they don't use or give to the those using the shelters, they sell (we have a few secondhand places that they sell through).

I would give your shelter a call and see if they will take them

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Right now I am starting to box up the books that I have replaced with Kindle books.  I was planning to take them to Half-Price books to pick up some spending money for more Kindle books, but I like the idea of donating them somewhere they can be used.  It is very difficult for me to part with books but I am making an effort.
I suspect that some favorites and my children's book collection will be around in DTB form for a good while.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
And a secret laboratory.
I thought that was a given. Narf!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I give many many books over to friends, to read and enjoy.
The rest I donate to the local library, and Salvation Army.
But yes, I still have book cases full. When your a voracious reader, it can't be helped!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I have donated thousands of books over the past five years to Goodwill and the library, and that had nothing to do with my buying a Kindle.  These are all books that I know I won't be reading again.  After 30 years of collecting, my tastes have changed and I'm also discovering new authors that deserve a place on my shelves.

I did replace some favorites with kindlebooks, and I had a hard time getting rid of the dtvs.  I finally got ruthless and did it.  Someone else should get the benefit. 

Right now, I'm looking at my five shelf bookcase in the den and I'm thinking at least 2/3 of them can go.  Some of them are textbooks.  I figure if I haven't referred to them in five years, it's time for them to go.

Ask yourself if these are books you will read again.  If not, let them find a happy home. 

1 - 20 of 102 Posts