Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope there is a logical explanation for this. A recent thread concerned whether Amazon is reporting sales accurately. This is what happened on my Createspace account on February 5th.

10 -  
2013-02-03 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon $9.13 $3.65 1 $1.82 unpaid
2013-02-04 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon $9.13 $3.65 1 $1.82 unpaid
2013-02-05 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon $9.13 $3.65 1 $1.82 unpaid
2013-02-05 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon $9.13 $3.65 1 $1.82 unpaid
2013-02-06 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon $9.13 $3.65 1 $1.82 unpaid
2013-02-07 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon $9.49 $3.65 1 $2.04 unpaid
2013-02-10 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon $9.49 $3.65 1 $2.04 unpaid
2013-02-12 Chew Chew the Food Chain Train Amazon Europe - GBP £5.68 £2.41 1 £0.99 unpaid

I can't get my cousin's receipt's image to load here, but it clearly shows that she purchased three copies of my book on February 5th. Only two are reported for that day, and there are no multiple sales reported any other day. Does anyone have an idea what happened? There were three sales reported on 3/3/13. Could the reporting be that far behind?

I have not tried to contact Amazon about this yet. It doesn't sound like they give out much information, if any, on these issues.

What do you think?

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Amazon may have had several copies of the book already printed and stocked, for faster deliveries.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"Only two are reported for that day, and there are no multiple sales reported any other day. "
Don't count on bookings matching the day the consumer pushed the BUY button. There are several layers of accounting a transaction flows through, and several branches they take. The same transaction feeds multiple systems. Some parts of the system are batch, and some are real time. I don't know how they generate vouchers. There are several ways to do it.

For CS it gets more complicated if they are booking revenue to the month in which the book was printed. They print ahead based on order history.

So, I don't know how the Amazon system works because they haven't told me. But I do know lots of ways it could work and comply with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.)

Could the reporting be a month behind? Sure it could. At month end closing, most places have temporary accounts where they put the stuff that didn't make closing.

There are so many ways it could accurately work, I can't run through them all. But the fact that we don't see expected volume on a given day doesn't tell us much unless we know much more about Amazon's accounting system.

G

·
Could it be that they had a special offer for the book that day, like Buy 3 Pay for 2?
It's happened to me before...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Becca--what does that have to do with sales for that day?

Terrence--that's kind of what I thought; you explained it better.

Stella, the receipt clearly shows that she bought and paid for three copies of the book.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Janet Michelson said:
Becca--what does that have to do with sales for that day?

Terrence--that's kind of what I thought; you explained it better.

Stella, the receipt clearly shows that she bought and paid for three copies of the book.
If Amazon orders a book from CS in order to have it sitting on the shelf, ready to go, when that CS reflect that sale? Maybe Amazon pays CS for the book when the book is printed, then recoups the money when someone actually buys the book. So if three copies of a book sell on one day, perhaps one of those books is fulfilled from the existing copy in the warehouse, and two more are ordered from CS. It would look like only two books sold that day because the third had been ordered months earlier. (I'm just guessing -- could be totally off the mark.)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Some people think not all ebook sales are reported. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Becca Mills said:
So if three copies of a book sell on one day, perhaps one of those books is fulfilled from the existing copy in the warehouse, and two more are ordered from CS. It would look like only two books sold that day because the third had been ordered months earlier. (I'm just guessing -- could be totally off the mark.)
You're spot on. You get paid when books are produced, not when they're sold, and Amazon often has a couple on hand in advance of orders.

F'r instance, my first CS paperback is now OOP, but amazon.co.uk still has two in stock, and amazon.de has one in stock, all printed over a year ago. I was paid for them then. When/if those copies are ever sold, it won't be reported to me.

G

·
Janet Michelson said:
So, as I understand it, someone you know has a single receipt where they paid for 3 copies of the same book, at the same time, on the same day.

Either a mistake was made or there is some other reasonable explanation.

Have you tried calling CS and asking them about this transaction. If they enlighten you further on how they conduct these transactions it might be beneficial to hear.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My Mum bought six copies of my book. It took two days for all of them to trickle in. They didn't appear in my account all at once.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
phildukephd said:
Some people think not all ebook sales are reported. What do you think?

The best-selling ebooks of my 24 KDP titles used to be "Jack the Ripper versus Sherlock Holmes" and "HEROIN God's Own Medicine" and "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine." Now despite intensive daily promoting I have NO sales. NONE. Day after day. What do you think?
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I suggest that you try getting a real cover and hiring an editor.

*Note: This is not an attempt to solicit business. When I post comments of this nature, I will not accept the author I address as a client. I am posting solely as a reader and participant of this board.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Janet Michelson said:
I hope there is a logical explanation for this. A recent thread concerned whether Amazon is reporting sales accurately. This is what happened on my Createspace account on February 5th.

I can't get my cousin's receipt's image to load here, but it clearly shows that she purchased three copies of my book on February 5th. Only two are reported for that day, and there are no multiple sales reported any other day. Does anyone have an idea what happened? There were three sales reported on 3/3/13. Could the reporting be that far behind?

I have not tried to contact Amazon about this yet. It doesn't sound like they give out much information, if any, on these issues.

What do you think?
Createspace recently changed their policy. They now only report sales after the books have been shipped.

I think that would definitely explain the delay. ;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lynn McNamee said:
Createspace recently changed their policy. They now only report sales after the books have been shipped.

I think that would definitely explain the delay. ;)
This makes sense. The idea that they are randomly printing a few books every week or so seems unlikely. Paying me for books that haven't sold seems unlikely as well.

I really don't think Amazon is cheating me or anyone else. It's all in the reporting, and that method is beyond our understanding. It would be great if they would explain it to us, but perhaps doing so would be opening a Pandora's Box, with all the conspiracy theories we float around here. :D

Many thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lynn McNamee said:
I did receive an e-mail explaining the new policy, but unfortunately, I can't find it. :-\
I'll send an email and see if they will send me a copy. Thanks, Lynn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts